Warning: Declaration of vBCms_Item_Content::setItemId() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::setItemId() in ..../packages/vbcms/item/content.php on line 26
BladeForums.com - Spark
    • Spark

by Published on 04-04-2011 11:12 PM  Number of Views: 5692 

We're still chasing down the last few bugs, but we've successfully upgraded the site from vBulletin 3.8.7 to version 4.1.2.

Why did we upgrade when things were working just fine before?
      Good question. In their infinite wisdom, vBulletin decided that they were no longer going to support the 3.x series of their forum software and declared it End of Life. When that happened, we had several choices

• Wait, and hope for the best
      • Update the software immediately
      • Switch platforms to another forum software solution

Of the 3 choices, we decided to update immediately, the reasoning being that it would be better to tackle this hurdle now rather than wait longer and fall further behind.

Nothing. Comes. Easy. With. BladeForums.
      You may have noticed some downtime last week. Yeah, about that... in order to upgrade to 4.1.2, we first had to update MySQL and PHP on the servers. Normally this would be accomplished by using some sort of package manager, however CentOS (which is the operating system our servers run on) didn't have updated MySQL and PHP packages ready... so that required manual recompiling. Resulting in downtime for parts of Tues, Wed and Thurs. We finally got PHP and MySQL configured correctly, and were set to update the software, which took place late Thursday / early Friday. April fools everyone, your forums experience changed!

Since then, I've been bug stomping and I think we have just about everything covered that's going to be at this point.

I've given up on trying to get mod rewrite to work properly on the site. It wasn't worth having the thread display options not functional for the last few days, so I switched the forums to an advanced rewrite URL mode.

Mobile Users should be pretty happy: Berryblab and Tapatalk have both been installed. Wootles for you guys. I should force all mobile users to pay for a premium membership.

Anyhow, there's loads of new features now:

• New and improved search
      • Threads are marked unread until you've actually read them
      • New attachments feature
      • Blogs
      • Facebook integration
      • User customizable styles
      • more stuff I can't remember.

It's been a long few days. I'll write more when I can.
      by Published on 04-01-2011 02:32 PM

As you can see, we're busy revamping the site. Please be patient as we continue to tweak and revamp everything. I appreciate ...