Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gave away my peanut. looking for new sidekick...

gave away my peanut. looking for new sidekick...

ADVERTISEMENT
    If you want to skip the story I understand...just skip this next massive paragraph, your opinion is still valuable...

Alright, I know you traditional guys like stories so here goes nothing. I was spending some time tonight with a friend I hadn't seen much if as of late. This friend is a knife user, but not a knife carrier. A time came, after a few beers that the topic of knives came up (my doing as usual). I proceed to show off my much prized limited edition benchmade 730-1202 Ares with m390 steel, its a fairly large knife, but an extremely nice one. His response was that it was cool and really nice, but he didn't think he would want anything that big. I then followed up with "well that's why I carry this..." whipping out my trusty harvest orange case peanut. Immediately his eyes lit up, what followed was a conversation about the peanut and how his father carried one just like it and blah blah blah you know the story. At that point I just made the decision and blurted out "if you'll carry it, it's yours". I knew right away that I had made his night. I dont think I have ever given away a knife ti anybody who was more appreciative than this friend. It was a bit hard to see the peanut go, but in the end, it gave me a greater appreciation for the role of traditional knives (especially when carried in combination with modern knives) as well as gave me an excuse to buy a new traditional sidekick to my usual modern folder.so with that said...

I'm looking for a small traditional knife to replace the case peanut I gave away. I liked the small size of the peanut but could go a bit bigger. Still the ultimate goal is to disappear in the pocket as it will be carried in combination with a larger modern clipped folder. I'd like carbon steel. Exotic materials are definitely not necessary. Generally I'm looking for a small, nice looking, traditional slip joint around or under (obviously preferably under...) $50. I really enjoyed the peanut but would like to try something else this time. Thanks in advance.

a slightly larger peanut would be a jack in cv steel. take your pick: swell-end, sway back, serpentine. but my advice: get another peanut. no, two peanuts. you'll never know if you'll get another chance at making a great gesture like what you just did.

there is something about giving away a second-hand knife that you like to a non-knife person. the love seems to pass on automatically. i've given away a buck 301, a 371, a vg-10 delica, and a case toothpick. the owners don't carry them around: they put them up for display.

For that price range and in carbon, I'd suggest a CASE Pen-Knife. Longer and slimmer than a Peanut but with only one spring (blades at each end) my particular small knife favourite. Only drawback, current models only available in yellow delrin, but it's tough and visible.

You could consider a Buck 309 too, a nice grippy small knife in sawn delrin, only stainless mind.

GEC's 33 Conductor is truly excellent, carbon and stainless, good handle choices but it's well over your price limit I'm afraid. Class act though.

I love the Case Mini copperheads The blue one goes for under the price you want to pay. 3 1/8 closed.

Regards

Robin
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another vote for the Case yellow handled pen knife. I think it is a 32087. Nice little knife that I think carries easier than a peanut.
    Jim
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."
    -Will Rogers

R.I.P. Sadie
    May 4,2004 - March 25,2008

I agree with what has been said, particularly about getting another peanut if for no other reason than to be able to repeat the joy you experienced when you gave that one away.

How about some comparison photos?

I concur that the mini copperhead is a good choice, but the blades are SS not CV.

I can also join with those recommending the 32087 pen.

Maybe even a smaller stockman. Schrade Walden 832 on top, Case 6344 HE on bottom:

Last edited by Doug Add; 10-12-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjellgren View Post
    I'm looking for a small traditional knife to replace the case peanut I gave away. I liked the small size of the peanut but could go a bit bigger. Still the ultimate goal is to disappear in the pocket as it will be carried in combination with a larger modern clipped folder. I'd like carbon steel. Exotic materials are definitely not necessary. Generally I'm looking for a small, nice looking, traditional slip joint around or under (obviously preferably under...) $50. I really enjoyed the peanut but would like to try something else this time.
    I doubt you could go wrong with a Case Pen Knife with cv steel and yella handles. They're 3 3/8" closed.

-- Mark

Thanks for the input guys. I may just end up with another peanut, we'll see. I am really liking the pen knife, but would prefer it with natural handle scales. A pen knife in cv with chesnut bone would be ideal I think. Either way, I learned quite a while ago that ordering knives on Fridays just makes the wait all that much longer so I have the whole weekend to browse and decide. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll make sure to keep you all posted.

Buy a yeller pen knife and have someone put new covers on it? Or get a Texas jack with amber bone covers.

Like you, I carry a larger single blade locking knife as my main EDC and back it up with a tiny little 2nd knife.

Unlike you, I carry a traditional locker and a modern mini. My small back up is a Leatherman Micra, which gives me a small blade if I need it combined with a decent set of small tools suitable for small tasks not worth walking to find a real tool. Most importantly, I don't have to walk to find a cap lifter!! Actually, the most commonly used tool on the Micra is the scissors. I really can't imagine day to day life without having small scissors close at hand. Having the Micra in my pocket and not on my key ring and not in my pack is the secret.

An old timer I used to work with clued me in about the power of carrying a small tool like the Micra in my pocket. He was right. His choice was the Wegner, not Victorinox, but the Wegner Classic. The scissors are better on the Wegner (and better yet on the Micra!). So that might be a traditional option to consider.

If you really dug the peanut but something I'm saying about scissors is ringing true to you, you might consider the Case Peanut with bail and scissors.

^^ I carry a vic mini champ on my keychain so really, I don't NEED to carry a small traditional as the mini champ has more tools than I often need. I carry a small traditional because I like it, not because I need it. Besides, I learned a long time ago how to pop beer bottles open with a lighter, which between myself and my usual crew of friends is something which is always in abundance. Thanks again for the input, I really do appreciate it because, while traditional knives do interest me, my knowledge of the vast amount of patterns and variations of those patterns is not an area in which I am overly well versed.

What do you guys think of a small Texas jack in cv and amber bone?

Ah, well... if you have the mini tools and scissors front covered, then carry something that tickles your fancy.

I would think that among the small traditionals (excluding lobsters like the Vic/Wenger Classics) that you have 3 basic categories:
    1) 2 bladed jacks (blades on 1 end) like the Peanut
    2) 2 bladed pen knives (blades on each end) like the congress or small canoe even
    3) 1 blade knives, either slip joint or mini lockback.

In the 3rd category, there is the Opinel #6 in carbon steel or the Buck 55 or 503 in their great 420HC. Another beautiful single blade knife that is a dream to carry is the US version of the Schrade 5OT. I find these carry more discretely than a Peanut does on account of the flatter profile.

schrade-5ot by Pinnah, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mkjellgren View Post
    What do you guys think of a small Texas jack in cv and amber bone?
    I LOVE it

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith_77 View Post
    I LOVE it
    After reading the question about the amber bone CV jack, I was just about to point him to your pictures. Fortunately, I kept reading and as I scrolled down, here they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Add View Post
    After reading the question about the amber bone CV jack, I was just about to point him to your pictures. Fortunately, I kept reading and as I scrolled down, here they are!

hehe

You can't go wrong with that one^^^
    That Amber bone will mellow real nice the more you carry and use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith_77 View Post
    I LOVE it

I'll give a +3 or +4 on the Amber Bone CV Small Texas Jack. Be sure to give the pen blade on the above photo an extra look - nice and stout. I believe I've heard it referred to as a modified pen blade - more like a combination pen/sheepsfoot blade. If the smaller traditional pen blade is your cup of tea this one may not appeal to you, but many of us like the beefier modified pen blade on the Small Texas Jack.

If I was in your situation I don't think I would look any further than the Texas Jack but I'll throw a couple of other suggestions out there anyway.

At 3 1/8 inches the Eisenhower is a nice pattern that rides well in the pocket:

The 22087 is kind of like the Peanut's big brother:

Rick T.

mkjellgren, I think it's great how you "paid if forward" in the traditional area. If you don't mind I'd like to offer you a slipjoint from my 'more than I'll ever carry collection"

I'm a CASE collector for over 40 years and if you don't mind I'd send something to fill your needs your way

I have several CASE peanuts, medium jacks, large jacks, etc... If you'd care to drop me your address and what your likes are leaning towards and allow me to I'd get something sent to you early next week.

We can discuss more via email or PM if you'd like. Great gesture on your part for the gifting of your "Peanut" to your buddy

Thanks,

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information