Thread: Differences please

Differences please

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey all:

I am looking at two knives and they seem VERY much alike, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the differences between the Maxx Quality/DDR Radian Blade MQ1S and the HTM/DDR Gun Hammer Radian blade? I absolutely love this design!!

I already knw from reading that the scales are different, but boy do they look like twins! I can get either of them for around the same price, so I'm just wondering which you think is the better buy, and why?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Dave
    Last edited by Moleng1; 10-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.

The Meyerco is definitely the budget version of the Gun Hammer. It's got AUS8 steel instead of S35VN or M390 like the HTM version.

The biggest difference is really going to be the quality of the fit and finish and quality overall, for that matter. If you look over the reviews, most of them agree that the machining isn't the best. However, if you want to try out the design before you shell out for a full-on HTM, it's a good buy. It's not as good of a knife as the HTM, and if you were hoping that you'd be able to get a gunny at a fraction of the price, you've got another think coming. But AUS8 isn't horrible, and while Meyerco isn't exactly the best production company ever, they're also not particularly awful either.

Personally, I went for the real deal and never looked back.

-edit- Also, if you can get an HTM and a Maxx-Q for the same price, either the HTM is a STEAL, or the Maxx-Q is hideously overpriced. They should be around 40 bucks or so, while the HTM will be around 200-300. I've seen them as low as 170 or so, but if you're paying that for a Maxx-Q, you're in trouble.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Thanks for your input CF, appreciated, but I think you have mistaken the Maxx Quality MQ1S as a Meyrerco Maxx-Q. This is the knife I am referring to:

As you can see, it's definitely NOT a Meyerco

I'd go with the current HTM version. This is the first I've heard of the MaxxQ MQ1S, but from the picture you posted it's a dead ringer for a first-generation HTM Gunhammer -- so much so, in fact, that my guess is that it was a special run Darrel/HTM did years ago under a different name.

The newer HTM Gunhammers have various improvements over the early ones, most notably to the handle, where the CNC machined pattern is more elaborate, gripper, and frankly a lot cooler-looking, Additionally, the anodizing of the aluminum on the new ones is Type 3 instead of the Type 2 used on the early ones; Type 3 is much more durable. You'll also have more options with the new Gunhammer in terms of opening mechanism -- a manual version with the Maxx Glide bearing system just came out -- and blade finish. Lastly, the blade steel on the newer ones is S35VN instead of S30V; the two steels are so similar that you're unlikely to notice any difference in their performance in regular use, but at least on paper S35VN offers slight advantages over S30V in toughness and corrosion-resistance while still being on a par with it in terms of wear resistance.
    Last edited by neuron; 10-12-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Wow, it's very close, except for blade markings and lanyard hole.

Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

I've manage to do a lot more reading on the HTM (can't find much on the Maxx) and I think I'm in agreement with Neuron, the HTM definitely seems to be the better buy. Thanks for your input.

Now!!.................manual or assisted?

Well, do you want it to snap open aggressively, but be harder to close, or to glide open and closed?
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

I hope I can get into the forum Gun Hammer buy instead, then ill make up my mind. Such beautiful knives!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleng1 View Post
    I hope I can get into the forum Gun Hammer buy instead, then ill make up my mind. Such beautiful knives!!
    You better hurry, I think once they get started you'll be SOL.

I know RD, I posted on the thread, I'm hoping I hear back from neuron with a positive reply, I'd really like to be part of the excitement of possible!!

Don't worry I know a couple will go up for sale once they are completed!
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

Quote Originally Posted by Moleng1 View Post
    Thanks for your input CF, appreciated, but I think you have mistaken the Maxx Quality MQ1S as a Meyrerco Maxx-Q. This is the knife I am referring to:

As you can see, it's definitely NOT a Meyerco
    The Maxx Q 1a was the first version of the Gunhammer before HTM was founded. It is the progenitor. The handle scales were machined g10. You will note that these also had 3 handle screws + pivot. All current HTM Gunhammers have only two handle screws + pivot.

A tad more info here in some replies to my posting: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...big-pix-inside

Quote Originally Posted by harkamus View Post
    The Maxx Q 1a was the first version of the Gunhammer before HTM was founded. It is the progenitor. The handle scales were machined g10. You will note that these also had 3 handle screws + pivot. All current HTM Gunhammers have only two handle screws + pivot.

A tad more info here in some replies to my posting: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...big-pix-inside
    Good info, Hark!

Thanks a lot Hark, great link and info!! I have a chance at one of the originals, but pretty steep in price (around the $350 area!). Have to now make up my mind if I want a newer model radian blade, or the older one to go with my forum GH.............. decisions decisions???

Thread Information