Thread: LARGE Wire Jack, Geo Schrade, pat '42

LARGE Wire Jack, Geo Schrade, pat '42

ADVERTISEMENT
    8.5 inches overall open and 4.15 ounces = one hand filling heavy wire-handled folder from outta the past. The blade is mirror polished and the big tang has a curved choil-like place on the tang for a finger (enables better control of the point for fine work with this big knife). The fish scaler blade has a sinister look to it (when close it looks like a crouched predator to my eye). The cutting edge looks and feels factory fresh sharp and pointy.

Last edited by oregon; 10-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Last edited by oregon; 10-13-2012 at 08:58 AM.

The red finger guard, inserted into the handle, has some special features that the smaller Wire Jack guards don't have: Two nubs protruding from the bottom of the guard which dovetail into two nub receiver beds in the interior of the handle. In spite of this extra measure the fit is problematic/insecure. The flex and snap (from opening and closing the blade) are awesome forces torqueing and shocking this king-size knife in ways that the small jacks don't experience.

Thank you for looking.
    Last edited by oregon; 10-13-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Great pics Oregon, I never really had a good look at one of those guys.

FYI the choil is the little notch right below the blade edge, the part of the tang you're referring to is simply the "tang front"

Eric
    Last edited by ea42; 10-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Thank you for the kind words Eric. My pleasure.

Who made this knife?

One of you, perhaps:

Actually I believe that's a shot of the old Ulster plant in Ellenville, NY. The George Schrade knives were made out in Bridgeport, Conn., at the time the wire jacks were made he was completely seperated from Schrade Cut. Co.

Eric

William Schrade's book is on its way to me. Perhaps I will see a photo of George Schrade, the workers and the factory in the book.

That group of workers is my screen background. It fascinates and haunts me at the same time.

Here is a size comparison pic: Scout Wire Jack v Large hunting/fishing Wire Jack:'

A few more Ulster pictures from the 40's

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r....s/ulstersm.pdf
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

Outstanding post Irv. Thank you.

The whole operation is much larger than I thought. There are more employees, machines and rooms. Everybody isn't crowded into one room as the photo I use for a screen background seems to indicate.

Compare Hunting & Fishing blades: Marlin/Moose v Large Wire Jack:

Moose & Marlin is 2.39 ounces and 8 1/8 inches overall open (not counting lanyard loop)

Large Wire Jack is 4.15 ounces and 8.5 inches overall open

Last edited by oregon; 10-13-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Cool thread! Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    William Schrade's book is on its way to me. Perhaps I will see a photo of George Schrade, the workers and the factory in the book.

That group of workers is my screen background. It fascinates and haunts me at the same time.

Here is a size comparison pic: Scout Wire Jack v Large hunting/fishing Wire Jack:'

Hi Oregon, I'm curious where you are getting the book from. I've heard there are bad copies of the book going around.

OK William. Of course.

You email is not enabled so I left a visitor message for you. I don't want to run afoul of deal spotting prohibition.

The book is awaiting me at my Post Office Box per delivery confirmation info. I'll pick it up in the morning. If there is anything I can do to be of service please don't hesitate to give me a ping. My email is on my page (just click your mouse on my moniker "oregon" in the upper left of this page).
    Last edited by oregon; 10-13-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Thread Information