Thread: milling machines

milling machines

ADVERTISEMENT
    can table top milling machines do the job well or should i look at finding a good old knee mill basicaly i need it for slotting gaurds tapering full tang handles 440 c is the steel i will use most

bench top will do just fine for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by metalmole View Post
    bench top will do just fine for that.....
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...

Small mill is fine for slotting guards.

Use a grinder for tapering tangs...
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

sherline mini mills pop up on ebay frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tait View Post
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...
    If you have a big enough mill its not hard....ive tapered tangs on my bridgeport. I did the math and just figured out how much i needed to raise the tang to get the right angle then used a tilting table attachment to hold the blade. The harder part was doing the math over so that when i flipped it over the angle got re-adjusted correctly.

Probably not worth the effort but its certainly do-able with a fullsize mill. I hogged 1/8" of steel at a time.

Thanks David,

Was that with a face mill?

I have a setup for face milling stock (with a magnetic chuck), but found it caused stress bending in the thin stuff I was hoping to do it on.

Thanks David,

Was that with a face mill?

I have a setup for face milling stock (with a magnetic chuck), but found it caused stress bending in the thin stuff I was hoping to do it on.
    I just did it with a carbide endmill. My bridgeport is a 1944 m-head that accepts only a 1/2" max size collet so finding decent face mills with 1/2" shanks hasnt been too easy.

Ive never tapered a tang on my mill, but have tapered other parts, as David stated getting your part held in the right position is the tricky part, also be careful holding parts with a magnetic chuck for milling, those tables are made for grinding, some of the magnetic chucks just dont have the hold down power for milling...

I call the Sherline mills a suitcase mill, I have a couple and they are allright for very small fine work, but they are very limited and one will find out very quickly they need something bigger. I would suggest getting a mill bigger than you think you will need as you will find more and more uses for it......

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBro View Post
    sherline mini mills pop up on ebay frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schott View Post
    If you have a big enough mill its not hard....ive tapered tangs on my bridgeport. I did the math and just figured out how much i needed to raise the tang to get the right angle then used a tilting table attachment to hold the blade. The harder part was doing the math over so that when i flipped it over the angle got re-adjusted correctly.

Probably not worth the effort but its certainly do-able with a fullsize mill. I hogged 1/8" of steel at a time.
    It's just double... If it's 2 degrees on one side, then you fixture off of that newly cut surface it would be 4 degrees.
    2.5 > 5
    Etc...

Thread Information