Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: milling machines

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    woodstock ontario canada
    Posts
    8

    milling machines


    ADVERTISEMENT
    can table top milling machines do the job well or should i look at finding a good old knee mill basicaly i need it for slotting gaurds tapering full tang handles 440 c is the steel i will use most

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    69
    bench top will do just fine for that.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmole View Post
    bench top will do just fine for that.....
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,394
    Small mill is fine for slotting guards.

    Use a grinder for tapering tangs...
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Ca
    Posts
    55
    sherline mini mills pop up on ebay frequently.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Plaistow, NH
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Tait View Post
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...
    If you have a big enough mill its not hard....ive tapered tangs on my bridgeport. I did the math and just figured out how much i needed to raise the tang to get the right angle then used a tilting table attachment to hold the blade. The harder part was doing the math over so that when i flipped it over the angle got re-adjusted correctly.

    Probably not worth the effort but its certainly do-able with a fullsize mill. I hogged 1/8" of steel at a time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    571
    Thanks David,

    Was that with a face mill?

    I have a setup for face milling stock (with a magnetic chuck), but found it caused stress bending in the thin stuff I was hoping to do it on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Plaistow, NH
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Tait View Post
    Thanks David,

    Was that with a face mill?

    I have a setup for face milling stock (with a magnetic chuck), but found it caused stress bending in the thin stuff I was hoping to do it on.
    I just did it with a carbide endmill. My bridgeport is a 1944 m-head that accepts only a 1/2" max size collet so finding decent face mills with 1/2" shanks hasnt been too easy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    69
    Ive never tapered a tang on my mill, but have tapered other parts, as David stated getting your part held in the right position is the tricky part, also be careful holding parts with a magnetic chuck for milling, those tables are made for grinding, some of the magnetic chucks just dont have the hold down power for milling...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tait View Post
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    69
    I call the Sherline mills a suitcase mill, I have a couple and they are allright for very small fine work, but they are very limited and one will find out very quickly they need something bigger. I would suggest getting a mill bigger than you think you will need as you will find more and more uses for it......

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBro View Post
    sherline mini mills pop up on ebay frequently.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David Schott View Post
    If you have a big enough mill its not hard....ive tapered tangs on my bridgeport. I did the math and just figured out how much i needed to raise the tang to get the right angle then used a tilting table attachment to hold the blade. The harder part was doing the math over so that when i flipped it over the angle got re-adjusted correctly.

    Probably not worth the effort but its certainly do-able with a fullsize mill. I hogged 1/8" of steel at a time.
    It's just double... If it's 2 degrees on one side, then you fixture off of that newly cut surface it would be 4 degrees.
    2.5 > 5
    Etc...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •