Thread: Small stockmen.

The north of Sweden, Ostersund, Jamtland.

Small stockmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
    A little report on my progress in downsizing my EDC knife.
    Some weeks ago I wrote about my Schrade Duckstamp small stockman. In the same period I was very curious about the Buck knifes and mostly the 303 Cadet. With good help from you and especially 300 bucks great posts about slipjoint construction I desided I realy needed to try one out and that I wanted the black delrin version as I wanted the strongest possible small version.

During the prosess to find how to bye it I got an unexpected email from Ron Clark in Texas that had read here about my curiosity and offered me a gift, an old 1980-ties cadet. Im amaized about the kindness one meet here in the traditional forums. This aint the first time Ive meet the kindness here but Im still amaized.

So the last week it arrived here. It was in exelent lightly used condition. I recon its a cammilus made one as its 2 spring and has the sheepfoot beside the main clip. Its absolutely tight in every blade and has exelent and medium hard walk and talk. Ron tells me its from the mid 1980ties. It has a shield that reads BUCK in black kapitals. It was sharp but I have even though given itt a little other bladeangles. Its a realy good small cutter.

About the construktion I think its exelent for a user. A good but easy to work with bladesteel obviosly as I can read also expert heattreated but I havent still had it long enough to say it by my own experience. All konstruktion but the brass liners is stainless. I belive that stainless pivot pinns and backsprings has to be good for the lifespann of a slipjoint and I doo like when the materials are consistent. If a blade is stainless I think Its a classakt that the rest of the knife also can withstand corrision. Lastly I think that plastic scales match the rest of the materials and make it a extreamly durrable knife.

I dont think Im in need of this materials as Im cautious about the maintainance of my knifes but its nice to have this knife and Its not one of the bastardious big modern knifes that can stand everything, Its just an exelent small slipjoint with exelent bladeprofiles for my EDC needs in an sleek strong and not overbuilt package. For now its taken the place of my Case CV and Bone stockman in my pocket. Im weak though about those older time materials so its in the future to see how they will share their time as EDC.

Bosse

Very nice, useful gift, Bosse! I'm sure it will last and serve for many years!!
    Way to go, Ron Clark!!
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

That´s a great gift Ron is a great guy! He gave me two (!!) Schrade Old Timers about one year ago! I´m sure, they will serve you well in good old Sweden.
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

It is a great little pocketknife, Bo! I know you'll get many years of service out of it!

Best Regards,
    Ron

That's great, congrats and good on Ron too! I like small stockman knives, and the 303 Cadet is a nice pocketable size. Thanks to Trevor's giveaway I have a Buck made black delrin 303 to carry, along with small ones from Case, Hen & Rooster and Schrade (USA Old Timer).

I still haven't made up my mind whether I like small jacks like the Peanut or the stockman better. I think Peanut, but it's close!

A black delrin 303 is what i'm carrying right now, one that had suffered regrinds on all its blades though.
    You sure were lucky to get one of those old type, and yet another proof of the great people and the kindness around these parts.
    Any pics for our pleasure ?

The north of Sweden, Ostersund, Jamtland.
    i seem to have an iq around 70. Has tried pictures a few times but always missed.

Congratulations Bosse on a very nice carry knife, and good for you Ron for upkeeping the great spirit of this place that makes it so special.

Bosse, I'm a big fan of the 300 series Buck's from way back. As you know, my edc for many years was a 301, followed by a 303. The Buck stockman is maybe the best engineered working pocket knife you can have. I know I put mine through it's paces in many places, and it never failed to perform. From Bass in Texas to deer in Germany, to construction site work in Vietnam. Great pocket knives!

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by NirreBosse View Post
    i seem to have an iq around 70. Has tried pictures a few times but always missed.
    upload them to a web photo hosting site. Once they are up, copy the address of the picture, paste it in your post wrapped like this:
    [IMG]Pic_Address_Starting_With_WWW_And_Ending_With_.jpg[/IMG]
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

Thread Information