Thread: Spyderco Tenacious, Where/How To Get Custom Scales?

Spyderco Tenacious, Where/How To Get Custom Scales?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello All,

I'm wanting to get my Tenacious pimped out with some custom scales and liners. Can you Recomended me someone with a quick turn around time? What is the average time frame I would be looking at?

Also, I totally wouldn't even mind buying the scales and installing on my own either. I have searched all over the place and can't find anyone selling Tenacious scales?

eBay was a bust, no scales.

Preferably looking for a quick turn around time. I've been drooling over all the pimped blades. I am totally digging the file work/jimping on the liner spine and even on the top spine of the blade. This looks freakn awesome!

I'm way to impatient now! Lol

Thanks in advance for any help.

A lot of guys have been cutomizing the scales themselves. I recently did a Buck knife for a friend. It's fun to do with some of the less expensive folders like the Tenacious and persistence. All you need is a Micro file set.

On the last Amsterdam Spyderco meet Jur brought some Spyderco's with custom scales from Custom Scale Division in Germany. Really amazing work.

Can one purchase any of these Spyderco's? Got my attention.

I think you could do it yourself, you could probablly even make them, from what everyone says it isnt difficult just time consuming. But cuscadi makes beuitiful scales (they aint cheap either though) Contact them tell them the material you want, the knife you want it on and ask them what itll cost and how long itll take, they are real cool guys.

I may just give it a go. Just found a Dremel 4000 3/34 kit at my local Lowes for $75.
    I'm sure this is less than a custom job. Give a man fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Looks like ill be watching some YouTube videos and get this thing done. From what I have already seen, it seems the hardest part may be just getting the screw heads to lay flat. Not the biggest problem to have.

I would suggest you speak to New Graham knives in VA as they routinely stock customized Spyderco folders. I don't recall the folks that do it, but he can tell you. This might give you a starting point. They had a booth at the Blade Show, but their name escapes me.

Thanks for the info 22. I'll check them out.

Also, in the event I do proceed on my own, can someone tell me what spare screws I will need should any strip/break?
    I'm putting together a few G10 scales at USAKnifemaker and am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a few spare parts. Just not sure which screws to add?

There are a couple of youtubers who do absolutely AWESOME work, but I'm thinking that their turn around time is quite long. Check out tuffthumbz who is by far my favorate: http://www.youtube.com/user/tuffthumbz If nothing else, you might get some ideas.

Unless you do it yourself, it will cost much more than the knife did. Personally, I would just buy a better knife.

My thought there is perhaps you purchased the Spydie knife with special scales all in one deal. I have looked at some of the ones done by the folks I mentioned above and they are quite nice. But they don't do simple scales like adding orange or blue G-10 or something.

be really careful with the G10 dust also. Its not as bad as asbestos but it is similarly bad to inhale. Keeping everything wet will help keep it out of the air too.

The stand offs on my Tenacious are M2.5 x 0.45 and the clip is M3 x 0.5

I made some wood scales for mine. I made them much thicker than the originals so that i could do some 3d contouring.

As others have said, be very careful when working with G10.

Ric

Thread Information