Thread: 600g Swedish axe identification.

600g Swedish axe identification.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Calling on the wisdom of the Axe community again. I got this hatchet from my parents for my birthday. 600 on one side. Made in Sweden on the other. Can anyone help me out with the maker or age?

click for the bigger picture

The 600 is the weight of the axe. I am fairly sure it is not by HB as they are (and were) exceedingly proud of their product and probably would have not allowed a head to exit the factory unmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubai View Post
    The 600 is the weight of the axe. I am fairly sure it is not by HB as they are (and were) exceedingly proud of their product and probably would have not allowed a head to exit the factory unmarked.
    Yeah, I've got a couple of HB's. clearly stamped and they don't have the weight on them.

Anyone?

Hey Tiiiiiiiiim, I wish I could help you, Man. I don't know the maker or age. I wouldn't rule out HB, though. I'm sure some left the factory unstamped. I have two identical boy's axes, one is stamped HB and the other is unmarked. They are so similar that I bet they are both HB's. That being said, none of the HB's that I have or have had were stamped "Made in Sweden" quite like that.

Sorry for the off topic question - are you still making knives?????

Yeah, they went to the trouble of stamping the weight and "made in sweden" why wouldn't they stamp their mark too. Starting to wonder if it's just a random blacksmiths work.

I haven't made any knives in the last year since i moved out of home. I've been waiting on a grinder to get made. It's finished now, so as soon as it gets here I'll be back into it.

I've seen one almost identical in a customers cellar, it was stamped sandvik on one side and made in Sweden on the other...

Interesting. I'll have to give it a proper clean up and see if their's any faint markings.

There might be a remote chance that it is an early Super Banko or Wetterling. I have a very similar axe that was put out by Husqvarna many years back. Rest assured, it is a good quality piece. Anything out of Sweden is top notch when it comes to axes. I have carried a five star ARVIKA in the jeep on hunting excursions. It is a beauty that was designed for Australian hardwoods by Hults Bruks AB. I am not sure I could find a tougher axe in this 2.0 kg configuration if I attempted such a thing!

Thread Information