Thread: You guys are brilliant!!!!

You guys are brilliant!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm just getting back into tactical folders. Of all the different knives available Emerson was the most appealing. However, after reading online about problems with Emerson knives I was somewhat hesitant. But I couldn't resist buying a Desert Roadhouse. The same issues that you guys talk about was present with the knive, i.e. gritty action, slightly off-center blade, and a pivot screw the wanted to back out. Well, I followed your advice. Took the knive apart; cleaned the parts; applied lube; used Teflon Tape to secure the pivot screw; and guess what? The action is smooth, the blade is centered, and the pivot screw is secured. I'm glad I've gotten old enough to follow directions!

This is my first post, but I'm sure not my last.

Howard

Let me be the first to say Welcome Aboard! I don't own any Emersons, but may someday.

Nice! I remember I used to say teflon tape a lot and people just acted like I was an idiot.

Welcome aboard. Emerson Knives are great tools, I'm enjoying them right now too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    Nice! I remember I used to say teflon tape a lot and people just acted like I was an idiot.
    I didn't know youz wuz a plummah!

Doy yoy yoy! :-p

Blog Entries
    I've noticed the overall fit and finish of the 2012 series is pretty much excellent. Well, the only 2012 knive I have is a regular 15, but I can say that I'm more than happy with it. I carry it more than any other Emerson knife I own. There is no play in any direction, the pivot screw stays put, centered blade, was very sharp, and lockup was solid from day one until now.

Many people have mentioned using either Teflon tape or LocTite, I haven't needed either. My 15 did have some red LocTite on the pivot, but I removed it and cleaned it up. Now I just need to sharpen that bad boy one of these days. I might try the Edge Pro and match the angle, or a Pringles can with some sand paper will do the trick.

The pringles tube with sandpaper is a great idea. I am going to have to give it a go for my recurve EKI's!

I found a direct relation between coated blades and the pivot screw coming loose. With say a sebenza, there is a pivot bushing that the pivot pins is torqued down on, so you can get sufficient torque on the threads to hold. With an EKI the torque goes directly onto the washers/blade and to have a very slick opener sometimes there was not enough torque/friction on the threads to hold. It was worse on my coated blades because the friction from the coating made me have to keep the pivot even looser. My satin blades never had a problem.

Glad to hear the new knives are still awesome. I never had a complaint about any of my EKI's

Kevin

The pringles tube with sandpaper is a great idea. I am going to have to give it a go for my recurve EKI's!

I found a direct relation between coated blades and the pivot screw coming loose. With say a sebenza, there is a pivot bushing that the pivot pins is torqued down on, so you can get sufficient torque on the threads to hold. With an EKI the torque goes directly onto the washers/blade and to have a very slick opener sometimes there was not enough torque/friction on the threads to hold. It was worse on my coated blades because the friction from the coating made me have to keep the pivot even looser. My satin blades never had a problem.

Glad to hear the new knives are still awesome. I never had a complaint about any of my EKI's

Kevin

Pringles tube and sandpaper? Never heard this one before?

If I understand RevDevil its to replicate an oval stone or diamond oval/round rod etc. With a recurve a flat stone etc is not ideal. I always used an oval diamond rod or skill and a belt grinder. Sandpaper on a pringle tube, or any other similar tube (paper towel etc) would be a cheap, easy and effective solution.

I'm sure RevDevil will verify my thoughts.

How can Emersons command such a price, if one must do these things to make it a decent blade?

Quote Originally Posted by duro View Post
    How can Emersons command such a price, if one must do these things to make it a decent blade?
    Because in the field, when you are using your knife to survive in a war zone, the blade being slightly off center, or the action being a little gritty doesn't matter. The incredible ergonomics and blade designs are what make a difference. Plus, if there is ever anything actually wrong with the knife, few companies will go to the lengths EKI will to make it right.

Blog Entries
    If I understand RevDevil its to replicate an oval stone or diamond oval/round rod etc. With a recurve a flat stone etc is not ideal. I always used an oval diamond rod or skill and a belt grinder. Sandpaper on a pringle tube, or any other similar tube (paper towel etc) would be a cheap, easy and effective solution.

I'm sure RevDevil will verify my thoughts.
    You're correct Kevin. The Pringles can works, as does a piece of PVC tube, or a dowel rod. It's a trick that I learned from Richard J, a knifemaker and excellent sharpener himself.

As far as knives "commanding" specific prices, it's any knife company. These cutting tools are not built in clean rooms, by staff wearing surgical masks and garb. They are built in machine shops. Everyone likes different types of knives and buy what they like based on those reasons. I've seen some folks will literally get up in arms for a pocket clip that is too tight, because a knife "squeaks" or "rattles", or because the pivot is too tight. All of these things can be fixed very easily by most people with the right tools and a little common sense. They are after all, production knives. Sme issues do require the manufacturers attention, others are unrealistic expectations on the part of uninformed buyers.

Thanks for passing it along, Charlie. I am going to go send Richard a thank you also.

Kevin

Thanks for the info bout the pringle tube ans sandpaper stuff.

All the 2012 Emersons I own (10 in all) came with perfectly centered blades, no play in the blade, perfect fit and finish, and sharp as all heck. I use red locktite in the pivot, but besides that, I haven't needed to do anything else. I plan to buy more in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by docbp87 View Post
    Because in the field, when you are using your knife to survive in a war zone, the blade being slightly off center, or the action being a little gritty doesn't matter. The incredible ergonomics and blade designs are what make a difference. Plus, if there is ever anything actually wrong with the knife, few companies will go to the lengths EKI will to make it right.
    + 1 The grit is something that goes away even if you don't clean it out. Out of 10 2012 Emersons I own, not one has an off-centered blade. I'm ultra-picky with things like that. Emerson's customer service is great, too. Sent a knife in for repair lately, and received it back after only a week. No charge for the repair!

I would have to agree that the 2012 blades of the highest production quality in the past 5 years. I picked up a Horseman in the summer, and couldn't be happier. I've had great luck with all my Emersons, and haven't been plagued by centering issues, etc. I don't wave my knives very often, so they rarely backout -- if ever. As for price, it's like anything else. I kind of see a blade like a fine suit...

You can buy a suit for $100 dollars, that may look 'pretty', but fits like a burlap sack, and breaks down like paper.

You can buy a bespoke suit, that will look and feel like something off of Bond's back -- but you won't have an arm or a leg to put inside of it...

Or you can buy a well made suit, and have it tailored to just the way you want it. Was the suit expensive?? Pehaps. But it's all relative in the quest for perfection.

I haven't been to the Halls of Hell - but if a folder is all I could take, I'd take Sunday's finest.

Welcome, Howard.
    Hi, to you other boneheads.
    Emerson knives; folks love them or they don't.
    Rolf

Thread Information