Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Begining of a Becker Journey - 1 Year With the Becker Escabar BK14

Begining of a Becker Journey - 1 Year With the Becker Escabar BK14

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello all. This is my first post in this forum and I must admit, being a knife enthusiast, I got bit by the Becker Bug. Prognosis does not look good. I think I will have Becker fever for life.

The purpose of this thread is simple. My wife just bought me a Becker BK14 for our 2-year anniversary. This is my first Becker. My plan is to carry this knife everyday for 1 year. I will continue to update this thread throughout the year with my thoughts and observations on how this knife carries, cuts, performs food prep, everyday tasks, on duty, off duty, slices atoms, etc.

First let me tell you a little about me and my history with knives. I am 30 years old and work in law enforcement. I am married with 1 child and another on the way. I just graduated from law school and I will be sitting for the bar next year. (Went to school part-time while I worked full-time so I could afford to live). I have owned the following knives: Spyderco Endura 4 ffg (5), Spyderco Manix 2, Spyderco Delica ffg (2), Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (2), Spyderco Sage 3, Spyderco Tenacious, Spyderco Matriarch 2, Spyderco Bushcrafter G10, Benchmade 940 (2), Benchmade Griptilian HHG, Benchmade Ritter Grip Large (2), Ritter Grip small, Chris Reeve Small Star-Benza, Chris Reeve Large Micarta Sebenza 21, Chris Reeve Nyala, Cold Steel Recon 1 Spear Point, Cold Steel Large Voyager Clip Point, Fallkniven S1, Essee Izula II (3), Essee 3, Koster Bushcrafter, Knives of Alaska Featherlight Hunter, Victorinox Farmer (3), Victorinox Tinker, and a Victorinox Super Tinker. Those are all I can think of for now.

Knives that I currently own are: Victorinox Tinker, Super Tinker and the Becker BK14. The reason for this is simple: I had too many knives, could not possibly carry all of them and because of a baby on the way I sold them to put money back into the family funds. Plus, with that many knives it was hard to truly concentrate on one and truly appreciate it. So I am about to embark on my year-long journey of carrying only 1 knife (BK14) as well as a SAK (every man needs one). Side Note: the best of the above listed, in my opinion are the Endura 4 ffg, Large Micarta Sebenza and Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager in that order.

I just received this knife tonight and first impressions out of the box are simply outstanding. The Becker Bug has truly bitten. The knife was extremely sharp. Slicing threw tissue paper with ease. I like the blade shape and the handle length, though the handle is about a quarter inch too short but is really nothing to be dissapointed in. This thing seems like an amazing slicer and dicer.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Knowing that I was getting this for my anniversary I ordered a custom sheath from “The 710” as I heard the stock sheath may dull the edge. Below are some pics of the sheath. First Impression of the sheath is jaw dropping. This guy really knows how to make a sheath for a great price and his customer service is well beyond what I have experienced in life. If you have a Becker you owe it to yourself to check him out.
    Here are the pics of the sheath.

[IMG][/IMG]

I plan on stripping the 14 this weekend then give it a forced patina (either vinegar or mustard bath) haven’t decided which yet though and need to research the forum a little more for ideas and the process. I am also adding the Becker black zytel handles to it this weekend as well.

I will update this thread and post pictures of the naked 14 this weekend. As well as how it has cut and handled after a few days use.
    Thanks all for being such a great community and can’t wait to share my experiences with the Becker family. Side note: Next year’s review will be the BK17.

Here is my year long edc set up (minus the modifications of stripping and zytel handles):

[IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new blade. This is a great thread by the way, and I'm looking forward to your updates.
    Beckerhead 65

"Never irritate a woman that can operate a backhoe." overheard in Betty's diner.

I really liked hearing all the knives you have owned before and how you arrived at the BK14. That sheath looks pretty great as well. Nice work 710 For me it went like this: Old timer folder, mini SAK, Spyderco dragonfly, Leatherman wave, Spyderco Spyderfly, Protech Godson auto, full size SAK, Leatherman PST II, Leatherman CS4, Spyderco Native, and then Becker BK2, BK14, BK9 and so on....I've had a lot more knives over the last 15 years or so (I'm 31) but those are the ones I remember most and still have. BK2 was my first fixed blade. I have a feeling that a BK17 may find it's way on your belt a lot sooner then a year from now.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to put a good post with quality pics together. Also good luck on the Bar. I'm studying for the ARE (Architects exam) right now. This is a great place to unwind.
    Last edited by Eero; 10-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    -Jordan

BECKERHEAD#126

Thanks for the welcome Tradewater!

Eero - Yes. The evolution of my current knife status was just simply that, an evolution. I love the Spyderco Endura 4 and the Chris Reeve Large Sebenza but the Endura did everything the Sebenza could do at a lot less and felt way better carrying around all day. I always, always, always had a SAK on me and perefer a fixedblade over a folder anyday. As soon as I decided on carrying a fixed blade and specifically the BK14, I knew it was time to say goodbye to folders over than SAKs and just carry the 14 and Tinker (or) Super Tinker with me. Less is more in my book and I am excited for this year-long journey with just this kit for me. I should also mention I carry a Kahr CM9 with me wherever I go so getting rid of the folder instead of keeping it with the BK14 and SAK was essential. I had to stop looking at the BK17 as I know it will tempt me along the way, but I am pretty sure the BK14 can handle anything I throw at it. I almost started the first review with the BK17 but the size of the 14 is just so great that there is no escuse for me not to have it.

You have a great knife there and a hell of a wife, congrats!
    Semper fi, GFY!
    Just shut up and use your f#?*!ng knives!
    http://Www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

Great idea, looking forward to the updates. Might I suggest beating on it a little bit before stripping. It's fun to see the coating wear from use. Good luck on your journey, it is a great knife!

HAHA!!!! Been waiting for a chance to use this.

Second, I've got a 14, and 24.

I must say, most challenges you will face with your 14, will be overmatched.

I can wait to see this thread evolve.

Moose
    After this, I'm gonna need a Percocet the size of a Hardee's biscuit......-Unknown Millwright

Its going to serve you well. Love the pic moose. And if it matters my edc also changed from big heavy folders (ZT 0350) to a more traditional buck 112, case sodbuster jr., and BK11. Not much you cant do with those 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DJG097 View Post
    What kind of A-hole quotes himself?

welcome! this is a great thread. nice closeup pics. that 710 sheath does look really sweet. i hope and am sure that the 14 will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by jukrui View Post
    Great idea, looking forward to the updates. Might I suggest beating on it a little bit before stripping. It's fun to see the coating wear from use. Good luck on your journey, it is a great knife!
    I just may do that. I just want to make sure the coating is okay for food prep as I will be cutting a lot of food for my toddler son. I know it is weird to think of coating rubbing off of soft material like apples, vegetables and soft meat. I have just always preferred uncoated blades if food prep is involved.

Also, I apologize for any crappy pics. My DSLR just broke so I am relying on my old, but faithful, canon powershot. Hope to have a new DSLR within the next month. Excited for the first day of carry tomorrow. Can't wait to add an update.

Awesome post!
    Welcome to the fray.
    Looking forward to the updates!
    Man, 710's stuff looks goooood!

Don't find fault, find a remedy.

Great thread idea. Not much you can't do with a SAK and a BK-14, you are right every man (heck, every woman too) should own a SAK. I will be checking back on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Humint View Post
    I just may do that. I just want to make sure the coating is okay for food prep as I will be cutting a lot of food for my toddler son. I know it is weird to think of coating rubbing off of soft material like apples, vegetables and soft meat. I have just always preferred uncoated blades if food prep is involved.
    I understand. Ultimately that is the same reason I stripped mine. I have used it nearly everyday to cut food for my 20-month old son.

Welcome.
    This is going to be a interesting thread.

Welcome and thanks for bringing this project to the forum! I'll be watching for sure.

I watched a Youtbube video...I can get it done!

Nice!!!! and its sheath was fantastic!!

You won't be able to stop with just one BK14 I have two at the moment, one stripped and in leather, the other still coated, with micarta and kydex

Looking forward to how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosez45 View Post
    HAHA!!!! Been waiting for a chance to use this.

Second, I've got a 14, and 24.

I must say, most challenges you will face with your 14, will be overmatched.

I can wait to see this thread evolve.

Moose
    I love the Becker bug picture

Interested to see the journey of your blade as well, keep it coming!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information