Thread: First Post / First Find

First Post / First Find

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello everyone, this is my first post in this sub-forum although I have lurked here for a bit now. I wanted to show everyone my first axe find. I found this one in a local "man" thrift shop, he had two more (Champion and Craftsman) that I may go back and grab.

I paid $6.47 for this. I plan to grab a new handle at the local hardware store and attempt my first restore.

Stamping:
    USA
    True Temper
    Flint Edge
    Kelly Works

Last edited by jukrui; 10-17-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Wonder how much wood that baby's been through?

Good luck on the restore and please post some pics.

Your Kelly was made for military issue. The U.S.A. marking identifies it. I'm betting the head is about 7" with a 4" bit and a 36" haft. Thousands of these were made. They were issued with WWII jeeps and M38 trucks. They were also one of the tools that came with a Pioneer tool rack (Google it) which carried an axe, pick and shovel. It is a fine axe and should serve you well if you restore it.

Nice find, a completely restored one, to correct military specs recently sold on EBay for over $100. You have one with a history to it, if they could only talk.

Double Ott

Edit; http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=1719
    Last edited by Double Ott; 10-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your poor judgement!
    Collecting vintage logging tools. What ya got? P.M me.

Nice find. Maybe take it back before you get to deeply infected by the axe bug. How long have you had it and how much do you look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by moosecreektrails View Post
    Nice find. Maybe take it back before you get to deeply infected by the axe bug. How long have you had it and how much do you look at it?
    it's too late. might as well keep this one and go back and get the other 2. don't fight it any longer.

randy

Champion and Craftsman)
    single bits?
    if you got the cash, get the stash
    you might as well snag these two also, as you plan to bring them back to life which is a good thing

buzz

That thing, though slightly hidden, has tons of good life left in it. Good find.
    John Frankl

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ott View Post
    Your Kelly was made for military issue. The U.S.A. marking identifies it. I'm betting the head is about 7" with a 4" bit and a 36" haft. Thousands of these were made. They were issued with WWII jeeps and M38 trucks. They were also one of the tools that came with a Pioneer tool rack (Google it) which carried an axe, pick and shovel. It is a fine axe and should serve you well if you restore it.

Nice find, a completely restored one, to correct military specs recently sold on EBay for over $100. You have one with a history to it, if they could only talk.

Double Ott
    Those dimensions are spot on. The haft is not curved like in the link though. Thanks for the information. I am active duty USAF, so it has more meaning to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by markv View Post
    Champion and Craftsman)
    single bits?
    if you got the cash, get the stash
    you might as well snag these two also, as you plan to bring them back to life which is a good thing

buzz
    Single bits. They both needs some work, but I will get them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecreektrails View Post
    I have had it for 3 days and have looked at it a lot. I think about it when I am at work. I plan to start bringing the head back to life tomorrow.

the first will stay with you for a long time.
    gives me an idea, i need to look back at some work i did on axes in the past.

thanks for posting your find

buzz

Thread Information