Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get rid of your knives?

How do you get rid of your knives?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I want to get rid of some of my knives to make space for new ones, but they're mostly mall ninja type stuff by Cold Steel and other low end things, and given the propensity of non knife people(or at least the people who would be interested in buying the crap I want to get rid of) to think of knives only as weapons(especially since some of them are created with such intentions) and would treat them as such when given the opportunity, I'm a bit hesitant to sell them to just anyone, or even my friends. So how do you reduce your collection? I doubt any of you just toss them in the trash, so I'd like some advice on the subject.

It's your stuff, do with it what you want.

I tossed my very first knife I ever got into the garbage recently, the Gerber covert fast.

That's what sucks about buying low end knives.... when you try to sell them nobody wants them. I had two crappy knives that I just gave away to my friends.
    Beckerhead #119

Good thing christmas is coming and you can arm your friends against the zombie apocalypse! Though it may be to lat by then...

Quote Originally Posted by The Logical One View Post
    That's what sucks about buying low end knives.... when you try to sell them nobody wants them. I had two crappy knives that I just gave away to my friends.
    Guess I can gift some of them to people who most definitely won't use them. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by richardtran View Post
    I tossed my very first knife I ever got into the garbage recently, the Gerber covert fast.
    Guess I was wrong.

Learn how to sharpen on them. In all likelihood the steel will won't be very wear resistant or hard, so they should be good practice.
    "Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."
    --Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Cynic2701 View Post
    Learn how to sharpen on them. In all likelihood the steel will won't be very wear resistant or hard, so they should be good practice.
    I have about 9 things that I want to lose and I already have something to practice sharpening with.

What cold steels do you have?

Do some giveaways on here.

People will like you and you will have friends!

Seriously, most stuff from Cold Steel would be appreciated by some one.

The ones with crappy/unknown blade steels: Modify/pimp, throw at trees for fun, dull the edge and use as movie prop.

The ones with decent steels (at least 440C or the _Cr_MoV steels): Give to friends who you trust to be responsible.

Just sell them for pennies. You'll make someone happy and have a few dollars to go towards something nice. Even crappy knives sell well at 40%-50% of the original price.

Quote Originally Posted by hammon172 View Post
    What cold steels do you have?
    Of the ones that I don't want anymore:
    Point Guard(Plain)
    Double Agent I(Serrated)
    Urban Pal
    Bushman(Straightback)
    Pocket Bushman

Really dropped the ball with the Bushmans. I really liked the Bowie Bushman so I just went ahead and bought the other two, and I just have no use for them.

I give knives away to my friends. I just gave a Silent Soldier V2 from Brous Blades away to a good friend of mine that never cut anything other than a few sheets of paper and a tiny bit of paracord. I wasn't really carrying it, plus it's an excuse to pick up some other Brous Blades later since I'm now Brousless.

I've done a little bit of most of the above. Give away, sell very cheaply, and or use inappropriately - prying, chipping hardened glue/epoxy, plaster, concrete, digging in the yard, practice sharpening different types of blades and blade configurations. My son used one knife a number of times to trim the friction tape deck material for skateboards and to scrape/peal old deck material off. The blade lost its edge quickly but I was surprised at how tough the dull blade was. I know, I have a really hard time with throwing even junk knives away. Maybe destruction tests? Mike

Do some give-aways, encouraging newbies to participate to get a knife they could appreciate as a starter. I sure would have enjoyed that when I got started with this hobby... er... obsession

Blog Entries
    If you don't want your knives, post a trade thread in the appropriate forum. If you want to sell them, you need to buy the appropriate membership.

3 words:

yard sale!

I just have to turn my back when my teens are around and they just disapear!?--KV

Bundle them together and put them on ebay with low shipping. It only takes one sucker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information