Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: A.G. Russell score!

  1. #1

    A.G. Russell score!


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey all,
    I found this Grandad Barlow and had to have it. This is a Camillus made A.G. Russell with CM-2 steel. I don't know much about CM-2 so any info is welcome. I really like the shield and the derlin scales are sure to last. I haven't seen to many A.G. Russell knives and only have a brief knowledge of the companies history.
    Here are some pictures, feel free to submit your own or offer information.




    Here is a size comparison to a Case Backpocket.

    Nice half stops as well!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    8,363
    I'm pretty sure the 'CM-2' is A.G.'s designation for the specific knife model/pattern, and not the steel type. This was probably one of his Knife Collectors Club offerings, and such a designation was typical among those. Being a Camillus-made knife, I wouldn't be surprised if the steel is 440A.
    Last edited by Obsessed with Edges; 10-18-2012 at 07:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Raton, NM USA
    Posts
    15,050
    Any idea what year that AG Russell knife was made? I could look up the steel and other specs in an old catalog.
    ...
    Nevermind. There's an old CM-2 advertised at AG's Cutting Edge website where the steel is advertised as 440a, as Obsessed with Edges guessed.

  4. #4
    Wow that is kinda disappointing .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    8,363
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrampro View Post
    Wow that is kinda disappointing .
    No need to be disappointed, if it's 440A. Camillus did a nice job with that steel (same as used in Buck's older 300-series knives, also made by Camillus). 440A is easy to sharpen, and takes a very fine edge that's pretty durable. Takes a mirror finish quite easily as well. Good stuff, so far as I'm concerned.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed with Edges View Post
    No need to be disappointed, if it's 440A. Camillus did a nice job with that steel (same as used in Buck's older 300-series knives, also made by Camillus). 440A is easy to sharpen, and takes a very fine edge that's pretty durable. Takes a mirror finish quite easily as well. Good stuff, so far as I'm concerned.
    Well thanks I do like my 309 just fine so we will have to see. I do appreciate everyone's input.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrampro View Post
    Wow that is kinda disappointing .
    As David already said, don't be disappointed, that Camillus 440A was some pretty darned good stuff. That knife is a beauty for sure! Nice score on that one

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,824
    What a meta-shield!
    There's an Inception joke here somewhere...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Haliburton Ontario
    Posts
    4,872
    440a is a much maligned steel but it's all in the heat treat. I recently did a cutting test between Case trusharp and Rough Rider 440a and the 440a Killed the Case trusharp comparing new knives out of the box, never used. AG Russell puts out get knives, your Barlow is a beauty.

    Best regards

    Robin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunny South Texas
    Posts
    2,233
    First, I agree with all here. The steel isn't as important as the heat treatment, within reason of course. I have a couple of old Kershaw knives that are 440A, and the steel is tough as nails.

    Second, I didn't know AGR had put double openers on blades before. I thought the current series of his curved jacks were the only ones he had made. Any one know if there are more of his knives that have double nicks?

    Robert

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    8,363
    I've been receiving catalogs from A.G. Russell since the early '90s or so, and I seem to think he has done a few others, over a span of time, with the double-pulls on them. Mostly on larger blades, probably clips. I think I have probably seen these mostly on the large barlows, like the OP's knife. I might be mistaken, but I sort of got accustomed to seeing it in his catalogs, over the years.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunny South Texas
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks, David. I am not that familiar with AGR's previous offerings as for many years I couldn't afford much in his catalogs!

    I have the curved jack with two pulls, and although I loved the knife, I was surprised at the fact that an additional nail nick took some getting used to. Not sure why. Now the knife has proven to be such a great performer that I don't give the second nick a thought. And even more strange, I unconsciously will use either nick depending on which one my nail hits first so it turns out to be quite convenient.

    Robert

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    12,386
    Nice barlow. I laughed at the inception comment. I was thinking something similar.




    Quote Originally Posted by midnight flyer View Post
    Thanks, David. I am not that familiar with AGR's previous offerings as for many years I couldn't afford much in his catalogs!

    I have the curved jack with two pulls, and although I loved the knife, I was surprised at the fact that an additional nail nick took some getting used to. Not sure why. Now the knife has proven to be such a great performer that I don't give the second nick a thought. And even more strange, I unconsciously will use either nick depending on which one my nail hits first so it turns out to be quite convenient.

    Robert
    I do this too.

    I have a sunfish (GEC) with long pull and front nick. I bought the knife despite that, but love it in use. It also makes a very handy pinch point to get traction for pinching the blade open.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Benicia, CA
    Posts
    1,832
    Disappointed? Never. Have some Camillus made Remington repros including a GD Barlow. Great knife. You'll love it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Rogers, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    2,009
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight flyer View Post
    First, I agree with all here. The steel isn't as important as the heat treatment, within reason of course. I have a couple of old Kershaw knives that are 440A, and the steel is tough as nails.

    Second, I didn't know AGR had put double openers on blades before. I thought the current series of his curved jacks were the only ones he had made. Any one know if there are more of his knives that have double nicks?

    Robert
    My memory is pretty bad BUT, I think that tje Brute in about 1973 was the first ambidextrous thumb opening knife I designed and the later Morseth folders. I have lately used that same idea on several Texas Ranger issues and other knives as well. In the late 1980s I made the first of what I called "One Hand Knives" with thumb studs and then in 1993 the series of molded handle knives called the K93 with an oval hole that allowed either hand opening for folks with only $35 or $50 to spend. Now whenever a design allows either hand opening I put it into the design. All of these can be found on agrussell.com or in our catalogs.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Paradise - New Zealand
    Posts
    5,599
    I personally think that its a very nice knife! I havent seen yet a Camillus of poor standards from that era, I would be very pleased to add that to my collection!
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

    psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oss, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,959
    Nice score man!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunny South Texas
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by A. G. Russell View Post
    My memory is pretty bad BUT, I think that tje Brute in about 1973 was the first ambidextrous thumb opening knife I designed and the later Morseth folders. I have lately used that same idea on several Texas Ranger issues and other knives as well. In the late 1980s I made the first of what I called "One Hand Knives" with thumb studs and then in 1993 the series of molded handle knives called the K93 with an oval hole that allowed either hand opening for folks with only $35 or $50 to spend. Now whenever a design allows either hand opening I put it into the design. All of these can be found on agrussell.com or in our catalogs.
    From the man himself... thanks for the update!

    Just got the new catalog a few days ago and haven't had a chance to go through it. Always love to look at it and admire the knives.

    Robert

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •