Thread: My newest old kukris

My newest old kukris

ADVERTISEMENT
    Here they are. Not one of them has any stampings and one of the M43s still had it's chakmak and karda covered in cosmoline. That one appears unused and the other only just slightly used. I can't imagine either of the M43s were ever issed to a Gurkha.

Funny to note that the metal used for the bolsters on the chakmak and karda appears to be copper as brass was a restricted material during WWII. Also the tip of the scabbards is protected by a parkerized steel cap.

The horn handed blade is 17.5 inches and only 17oz
    The other two are 17 inches, 22.85 and 23.50ozs

Mighty fine.
    We're jealous.

Ditto on the jealousy.

Those are some great finds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
    This picture shows something that I find interesting; the one on the left has a nicely tapered tang, the tang on the right isn't tapered. Also both show signs of forging that hasn't been polished out. IMO Gives them more character.
    Heber Ellsworth
    Email: wildmanh@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanh View Post
    Those are some great finds!!

This picture shows something that I find interesting; the one on the left has a nicely tapered tang, the tang on the right isn't tapered. Also both show signs of forging that hasn't been polished out. IMO Gives them more character.

True, I was suprised to see how different they were (being that they were supposed to be the same). These are still a completely hand made blade unlike the later MKIII stamped blades from India.

The really funny part is the knife with the thicker tang is .65 oz lighter than the one with the skinny tang.

Dirtbiker, I'm not jealous. I just hate you Just kiddin! They are beautiful! I assume there are no markings since you haven't mentioned any. The M43 is an enigma. It appears so GI and is seen in photos (from Burma IIRC), but is not the GI Mk. II. Whoever made them knew what they were doing as they are superb. It appears you have one lightly used and one which was never used. What a find. If possible, I would try to get more info from the seller. I purchasde a horn handled commercial type Mk. II and the seller volunteered no info. I emailed him and he replied with the previous owner's name, an Army Air Corps Lt.C., and with enough history for me to reserach the person and his assignments. It was a treasure trove and would be lost to history had I not gone out on a limb and asked. The Dui Chirra is incredible and in perfect shape. If you learn more about these khuks please keep us updated. Take care.

Very nice "finds", Dirtbiker. I really love those beautiful sheaths (take good care of them). Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
    True, I was surprised to see how different they were (being that they were supposed to be the same). These are still a completely hand made blade unlike the later MKIII stamped blades from India.
    The really funny part is the knife with the thicker tang is .65 oz lighter than the one with the skinny tang.
    WW2 Kukri IWM.jpg
    This is the beauty of handmade products. I like it . One is more balanced for fighting the other not so. This could be because one Kami was inexperienced and another knew how to taper a Kukri. Or might have something to do with World War II production. They were in a hurry to meet supply deadlines and their quality control could have allowed thick tangs like this. It would be interesting to see how they compare in handling.

Marvelous Kukris my friend!

wow,really great kukri there,something to cherish for sure.

Thread Information