Thread: Ken Coats - Local Celebrity

Ken Coats - Local Celebrity

ADVERTISEMENT
    (don't really know where to post this, but wanted to share)

Anyone who personally knows Ken, knows he is a humble guy, and wouldn't post this, so I had to.

The local paper did a write up on him. They don't have a website, so I took photos of the article to post them.

I must say, that is the most I've ever seen dressed up. Normally he is either wearing ratty jeans or camouflage. ;-)

I tried to take bigger pictures, so you can read the article.

Here it is (if you click on the links, the pictures will be bigger):
    http://imageshack.us/a/img404/1851/ken1b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/7315/ken3mr.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img440/5825/ken2a.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/3179/ken4.jpg

I am impressed. You have a genius in your backyard, if only I had the funds to support his work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting and congrats Ken on a very nice article!
    http://www.iknifecollector.com/profile/KenErickson

I finally had highspeed internet service installed which requires a email change. Please note my new email address is
    kenericksonknives@att.net

Thanks for posting that. I had a great time visiting with Ken last Spring at the Janesville Show.
    He builds one heck of a knife and is a pure gentleman.
    Blade Show Table 8-Q
    http://www.andersenforge.com/

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes.

Thanks for posting that,good to see a great guy getting some good press.Congrats Ken.

Stan
    www.sbuzekknives.com
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

That's a great article Ken. It's great to see a maker that has paved the way for youngsters like me get some recognition.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

Congratulations, Ken
    Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

THK kitchen knife passaround

That was a great read - Thanks for posting it.

My hats of to you Ken-
    Al Dodge

Thank you for sharing. Whenever I see something of Kens, I always pause to enjoy it.
    90% of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb at.

Awesome that you posted this article! I am going to try make it to the Janesville show this coming Spring since it is a doable drive. I feel very fortunate that I have had the pleasure of purchasing a knife from Ken along with several makers on this forum, you all are true gentleman and skilled craftsman! It is so refreshing to have a chance to get one of your knives with a simple 'I'll Take It' and not have to wait sometimes years to get a piece. Your prices to us members also remains outstanding in my mind. Thank you! Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Buck View Post
    I am going to try make it to the Janesville show this coming Spring since it is a doable drive.
    Go for it, it's a good time.
    Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

THK kitchen knife passaround

Thanks. I'm going to say some things myself on this man. My Coats EO Jack (the first one he did btw ) turned out so nice I ended up buying a couple more knives from him special orders of course. The first one I bought from Ken was a whim buy of a shadow toothpic. Didn't know it at the time but what a deal that was and that has been a while. Glad I got one early as they are twice that now. The second was this EO jack followed by another in jigged bone done up brown and just right by Ken. I later had to sell that one but I still have the other two and a saddlehorn I got from Ken later on. Well half a Saddlehorn as its the single blade clip. Each one has one thing in common. Perfect edge geometry and even fine grind lines leading to a perfectly even looking thin bevel to form the apex of what turns out to be one of the best edge keepers that sees pocket time for me. Ken knows his steel and I've found he does the ATS34 up better than anyone else I've ever bought from. I have a lot of it too from all various places and Ken's cut circles around all of em!

You can find a lot of makers and each one has his strengths. We all shoot for the ideal and we hope to achieve it with each piece. We know that in the end its a practice and it continues to grow only by pushing yourself. Ken has done this and it shows in his work. The knives are not only fit for display if that is what you want but they actually work to boot and believe me not all can say this. Many come fully functional but aesthetics may be off in a couple areas. Many times I've bought what for all practical purposes looked like the perfect user that was absolutely beautiful to behold until you note the obtuse edge profile, the horrible bevel angles, unusually tough to open blades, the wire edge in places if any 'real' working edge is on it at all and many other things we all see from time to time. Few polish off all the edges as perfectly as Ken and we have another Ken here doing this also. We know their work because the work walks the walk. It is a nice treat to be able to buy from a maker and open the knife and put it right to work without having to get out your own edge pro or call the maker about overhangs and what not.

I've never been disappointed with a Ken Coats folder. Thanks for the article and the pic. Always so nice to put a face to a name, particularly when you have done some biz back and forth with them.
    STR's Blog

I make no apologies for being unable to maintain a monogamous relationship with a folding knife!

Great article, thanks for posting.

Mark

Excellent article, much appreciated.

Thanx, Jeff
    "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates" Tacitus

Nice article, Thanks for sharing. Congrats Ken..

Jason

Thanks for sharing the article. His shadow toothpick is one of my favorite knives and it gets a lot of pocket time
    Peter

Avatar: Todd Davison 'Milan Stag' Spearpoint

Thread Information