Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Forum Knife by GEC - Who's Got Em? POST YOUR PICTURES!!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I received a couple in today's mail. I have to say it's a little bigger than I expected, but a really nice knife. Considering the amount of choices and input, and the whole design by commitee thing, it's inspiring.

Others have talked about certain aspects, so I'll give my initial impressions. To me, it's in good company. The first two knives I thought to compare it to where the AG Russell Wharncliff Jack and my Davison Swayback.

Compared to the Russell the blades are thinner (which is good) and the pull is lighter. It has halfstops; the Russell does not. It is slightly wider than the Russell, but it has two blades. So basically, it's a neater, smoother, package. I have to give the bone on the Russell the point for looks and color. I don't mind the color on the BFT12, but I'm not warming up to the jigging.

Now compared to the Davison it's a chunky knife. The pull is about the same in weight, but the custom is much smoother. The fit and finish are good, but not to Todd's standard. Everything comes out second best, but it's not really fair to compare it to a knife that costs 5 times as much. Still, when you look at them together you can realize just how good a value you have in this piece. I feel sorry for those who didn't get one.

Looking for Irish/Congress Jacks, especially a Remington.

eisman - Nice write-up and comparison. I feel the same as you about the jigging - nondescript and kinda boring but overall the BF 2012 knife is a heck of a deal.
    ED

I get mine christmas morning...then i start the 1 year carry like i did with the 2011 knife...join in and see if you can handle 12 months of carry! I have nearly completed the 2011 forum knife challenge and it was hard lol.
    Last edited by Robert.B; 10-26-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Oh man!!! Those look amazing. Thanks for the pics, guys.

Nice knife. Nice pix.

Thanks for posting with the AGR jack, the first thing I thought of when I opened up the knife was the comparison between the two in size of the wharncliffe blade.

I just got a really nice custom BSA belt pouch, I was originally going to carry my CSC trapper in it but I'm thinking the new trapper might be perfect <think>

nice pics everyone! I can't wait to get mine in my hands, been checking the mail every day.

Good thread and nice photos folks. I hope to add mine today. Last night I dreamed mine showed up with a rubber blade and of course all of the GEC fans got mad when I complained about it. Got to love the GEC fanbase. I also orderd my HayNHelper Sheepsfoot in Orange this morning.

jwh

I reopened this thread per request of "Nixelplix" (Josh). Please post pictures of your 2012 Blade Forums Knife. Thanks!!
    ED

Thanks Ed! I see a lot of potential in this thread! I'll be taking photos when mine gets here, and I've certainly been enjoying the pictures and comments so far.
    Josh

I work tomorrow, but I'll try and get pics Sunday. I picked mine up from Spark on the 19th, and been carrying it since.

Very solid knife, with no gaps or blemishes, with the blades nice and centered. Wasn't as sharp as other GEC's I have, but that is an easy fix. Still getting used to the jigging. It's not my favorite, but I can adapt and overcome. My only gripe, if you can call it that, is the tang stamp is partially covered by the bolsters, kinda like the blade is a bit deep in the frame, if that makes sense. You can see what I mean in Chief's pics in post #5.

Already have a bit of patina starting after cutting some onions, peppers, squash, and zucchini for supper last night.

All in all, I think GEC did a bang up job. Many thanks to all involved in making this a reality. It's my first forum knife, as I missed out on last years, but don't think it will be my last.
    Last edited by gruntmedik; 10-27-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I offended

Some great photographs, guys! I can hardly wait to snap a few pics when mine gets here. Maybe tomorrow, he said with fingers crossed?

Blog Entries
    I cut up my lunch today with my 2012 Trapper - with the great grind with distal taper and laser sharp tip, this knife is one of if not the best slicer I own - I am very pleased with this knife!

It won't open a beer, but I can call last year's knife into play if necessary.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

The Nation's Oldest Continually Occupied European Settlement...
    I received my 2 this evening and they are awesome. The f&f is darn near 100%, the grinds are perfect, the pull on all blades is 5-7 (perfect), and the scales look great IMO. The only concern(s) I have are that both knives seem to be less than sharp on all 4 blades (2 knives) and that they are a little on the heavy side... though, when carrying them in a decent pair of jeans I don't think weight would matter. Either way, I have many thanks to those involved. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to post a few pics.

These are looking bad, in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    I cut up my lunch today with my 2012 Trapper - with the great grind with distal taper and laser sharp tip, this knife is one of if not the best slicer I own - I am very pleased with this knife!

It won't open a beer, but I can call last year's knife into play if necessary.

best

mqqn
    Great shot and one of life's tasty snacks, fruit & cheese!

I thought that Wharncliffe would be a formidable slicer. For those who don't fancy the jigging so much, I reckon that with wear this will take on a very nice pocket-worn aspect, let's see.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Nixelplix View Post
    Nice picture. The jigging looks better to me in this picture than it has in others. Darker coloration, perhaps?

Congrats, Josh!

~ P.

Thank you! This knife will now be tested carving the pumpkin. More photos to follow! (After a nap!)
    Josh

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Really nice looking pattern! Would like to see this in their regular lineup.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information