Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Input needed*: Gear/gadgets/accessories you'd like to see from HTM?

*Input needed*: Gear/gadgets/accessories you'd like to see from HTM?

ADVERTISEMENT
    As some of you know, DDR/HTM has moved from Ohio to a new shop in Texas. The new shop is 2.5 times the size of the old one, and Darrel is putting that space to good use by filling it with new equipment, including additional CNC machines, another media tumbler (for blade finishes), a new surface grinder, and various other stuff. This new equipment will allow HTM to expand their lineup of knives -- something we're already starting to see with the recent Greg Lightfoot and Kirby Lambert HTM models -- and to increase production numbers on existing models.

This increased capacity -- particularly those additional CNC machines -- also means that HTM could add some non-knife gear and gadgets to their lineup. Darrel would like your input on what sorts of things, if any, you'd like to see.

Some general possibilities are:

• Aluminum/titanium "tactical" pens
    • Titanium tubes
    • Aftermarket pocket clips, lanyard beads, and other "knife bling"
    • Other gadgets/tools (please specify/describe -- original designs/suggestions are welcome)

At least for me, pens would be at the top of the list. I do a lot of pen-and-paper writing each day (I'm in grad school) and love cool/useful gadgets, so tactical pens are something that's been on my radar for quite a while. But I haven't pulled the trigger on a "tactical" pen because I have yet to come across anything that offers a combination of aesthetics and, especially, function/ergonomics that would make me use it in place of my regular pens on a daily basis.

So let's hear it, guys: What sorts of gear/gadgets would you like to see from HTM?
    Last edited by neuron; 10-26-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typos

Tactical pens! I'd take one or more of those. Maybe a nice HTM flashlight or something? Or a carabiner. That's about all the gear I carry on a regular basis.

Oh, and nice red name!
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
    Tactical pens! I'd take one or more of those. Maybe a nice HTM flashlight or something? Or a carabiner. That's about all the gear I carry on a regular basis.

Oh, and nice red name!
    Ooh, I had forgotten about flashlights. I'd absolutely be up for that since I carry a flashlight on a daily basis along with a locking folder and a Victorinox. It's definitely something that'd have to be done in collaboration with an established flashlight company -- a la what Strider does with Lenslight -- since HTM itself doesn't do flashlights/electronics.

Yep, that's about my EDC as well, although I throw a fixed blade in also.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Come on, guys, let's hear some more ideas/suggestions!
    DDR/HTM Forum Moderator
    bladeforums.neuron@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    How about a knife with scissors for the ladies? My wife and most of the girls I know like to have a pair of scissors on their "purse knives".

It would be a good thing to have a nice knife with scissors made just for the ladies - who wouldn't like to buy a quality knife for their wife/girlfriend?

A titanium motorcycle side-stand pad, shaped like a knife, with a cool DDR logo on it would be easy to make and very handy. Make it with a hole and a cable or nylon line to allow the cyclist to drop it and retrieve it from the saddle.

DDR keychain fobs - obvious product - how about a really cool one that is a miniature DDR knife with a usable but very small blade (ala' spyderco bug).

DDR cookie cutters in knife shapes. Thinking outside the box here. ;^)

I would love a high quality set of measuring spoons / cups for my kitchen.

I could go on and on.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

I have a tactical pen I've been edc'ing for a few weeks now that acts as a few different tools. 1) A pen. 2) A touch screen stylus 3) A self defense tool (the back end of the pen has what some refer to as a "glass breaker tip", now i'm not sure if it's carbide or actually capable of glass breaking... I don't have any extra car windows at hand. It does say in the pen manual that I can apply this pointy end to "Pressure points" against would be attackers though. Must mean eyes.) Nice pen.

Another tool I'd be really interested in seeing someday is a small pry tool (for prying) in a folding spring assist handle setup. Think like a small folder knife, (like 3" closed) with a spring assist that when opens, deploys at prying tool shaped similar to a flat blade screw driver or small chisel or something to that effect. I've had small pen type screwdriver things that clip to your pocket that are nifty and convenient but just arent made for prying, and don't last long. That and they're cheaply made. Something like this that i've suggested could be designed to take some abuse and be a little more expensive in the process. I'd pay good money to EDC a quality pry tool along with my EDC knife. That way both tools get used they way they're supposed to.

Oh and i'm sure this has been over before in another thread elsewhere a zillion times, but any chance of a 3-Inch Bladed Gunhammer? I need a 3-Incher to carry it at work! The bosses are breathing down my neck! You could call it the GunBaby?

Blog Entries
    Another one - how about a salt-grinder? I could use a GREAT salt grinder - and if they made a matching pepper grinder I would be in.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

I would love to see a pen and maybe a special forum release of Darrel Ralph's EDC folder (that would be so awesome)!

A tactical pen would be great. I always have one on me. The idea of a small pry tool was good too. Looks like people have had a fair amount of good ideas so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post

DDR keychain fobs - obvious product - how about a really cool one that is a miniature DDR knife with a usable but very small blade (ala' spyderco bug).
    I like this idea!!

Glock 23 conversion from .40 to 9mm barrels.

Aluminum and titanium fire pistons. Also, bottle opener.

Quote Originally Posted by harkamus View Post
    Aluminum and titanium fire pistons. Also, bottle opener.
    +1 to the bottle opener.

A small keychain knife with a bottle opener would be AMAZING...

bottle opener and a 3 inch or less blade would be my preference

Quote Originally Posted by rnsams View Post
    Smaller than that for keychain duty.

like this:

With a notch in the back for the bottle opener.

Most certainly a bottle opener. I'd like to see both the 3" and the keychain knife. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't have a length limit, but I also travel a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rnsams View Post
    I think what rnsams was getting at was a bottle opener AND a 3 inch bladed knife, like a EDC-style folder. Which would be awesome.

Here's my pitch...
    Make an EDC folder that's exactly 2.99" long, and call it the Gunhammer 299.... that way we can all EDC the hell out of everyone. Niche! *Cough* Niche!

Now we're talking, guys!

I've sent Darrel an email letting him know about the strong support for a tactical pen. I'll also be passing along the suggestion of a keychain knife, perhaps with a bottle opener/prybar integrated into it. Lastly, even though it's technically beyond the scope of this thread, I'll mention the interest in a 3" (or a tiny bit less) version of the HTM Gunhammer being added to the knife lineup.

Let's keep those suggestions coming! In addition to other types of things you'd want to see, what are some details of the features -- whether aesthetic, functional, or both -- you'd like to see on the two gadgets that have garnered the most support so far (tactical pen and keychain knife)?

Just to get us started, for the pen, anodized aluminum would be the natural choice since it offers a combination of strength, light weight, looks, and (compared to titanium) lower price and greater ease of machining. If an aluminum model is successful, then then of course versions in other metals would be a possibility down the road. Getting more specific, I'd like to see an original texturing pattern on the pen, particularly in the area near the point where one would hold it while writing. Just to give you an idea of why I think this is important, I really like most aspects of the design and quality of the Hinderer pens, but the machined "rings" that serve as the primary texturing on them just aren't comfortable for more than a few minutes of writing, and that's a deal-breaker for me when it comes to considering one as my primary writing instrument. Just continuing with the Hinderer comparison, one very cool feature of the Hinderer pens (as compared to, say, Tuff-Writer) is the option to change the end attachments, and that's definitely something I'd like to see on a HTM tactical pen.
    Last edited by neuron; 10-29-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typos
    DDR/HTM Forum Moderator
    bladeforums.neuron@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information