Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a smaller Fixed blade for camp/hunt/fishing

Looking for a smaller Fixed blade for camp/hunt/fishing

ADVERTISEMENT
    So yea im looking for around a 4 inch blade for camp hunting and fishing. I want to take it with me when i go out in the woods. I go with my family out for fishing and hunting sometimes and i usually always just borrow a knife lately its been my uncles buck hood punk but its a bit bigger then i would like and i also don't need anything that big. I use it to you know do some light cutting on sticks and branches, Cut up some bait when i go fishing sometimes i clean the fish (most of the time i just wait to get home to use the fillet knife though) but sometimes we eat there. I also very very rarely use it to clean game (i usually don't get nothing) but i gut them when i do get something on that rare and exciting occasion that i do. Is there anything out there for like 50 bucks that i can get to serve those purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeNewGuy View Post
    Is there anything out there for like 50 bucks that i can get to serve those purposes?
    Yes, I'm sure there is. Have you done any searching?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetjack View Post
    Yes, I'm sure there is. Have you done any searching?
    On this kinda sorta, not like i have on folders. I found that condor seems like a good buy and i see that people like moras but i want it to be full tang.

I can search and find a lot but i was hoping people who do this kind of stuff a lot would be able to throw me some suggestions also.

Condor IS a good buy

Quote Originally Posted by woody d View Post
    Condor IS a good buy
    i was looking at the bushalore a little over 4 inches but the price looks good. How is 1075 carbon steel for use?

The Becker BK-16 can be had for $60-ish, just a bit over 4 inches.

Pick up a Buck 119, 102, or 105. They each cost $50 or a bit less and will definitely stand up to what your doing with them. You also get Buck's forever warranty if they ever break.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeNewGuy View Post
    i was looking at the bushalore a little over 4 inches but the price looks good. How is 1075 carbon steel for use?
    im not an expert on different steels by any means, but what i can tell you is based on my experience.... it takes one heck of an edge, stays sharp, but does rust if not wiped down regularly....i learned that when i took my mini bushlore on a camping trip in august. we did alotta fishing and it was humid as h-e-double hockeysticks, and when i got home i took it out of the factory sheath(a nice piece of leather btw) and it needed some steel wool and oil taken to it to clean it up....no biggie. if thats not something that bothers you i highly recommend these knives. excellent products well worth the asking price. i think i paid 20something for it and bought it from a dealer on here...42blades

as a matter of fact, as cramped as my edc maxpedition bag is, there will always be room for that little Condor. its just too handy to leave at home and its smaller size doesnt freak folks out when i use it in public.
    Last edited by woody d; 10-26-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Condors steel is fine. Its nothing amazing, but its also not bad at all. It takes a good edge and holds it pretty well. It does rust faster than my 1095 and SK5 blades though, but not enough to cause alarm.

Also, check out the AG Russel DeerHunter in AUS8. Its a nice thin 4in blade with a FFG, and its only $40. The knife with sheath weighs in a something like 3.2 oz, so its pretty light if thats something you worrying about.
    Last edited by ocnLogan; 10-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.

I'll second the Buck choices.The 102 Woodsman is a great little fixed blade,and it's light.

Condor makes a fine knife and they would serve you well. Also might try checking the exchange here and try to snag up a used BK-16.

I second the Becker- model 16 or 17. If you want something a little smaller you could choose the model 11 or 14.

If you want something a little heavier than the Becker 16 or 17 then check out the ESEE 3 or 4.

Buck Max Lite (Large) is exactly what you're looking for. About $20.

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.

Get a Mora Companion stainless for about $15.
    Best $15 you'll ever spend on a knife.
    Not a glamor queen, but a real workhorse.

this looks familiar

Condor has a few good options. The becker BK16 or 17 though they're a little over your budget with shipping. Then there's anything from Mora.

I second ESEE. They are more in the 90 to 100ish pricerange BUT you get a knife that is near unbreakable, has one of the best 1095 steel blades i have ever seen, a very nice coating and has a lifetime no ask warranty. And ESEE really takes pride in that. There was someone around here about a year ago who broke his Junglas purposly 4 times in a row and got it replaced everytime!

I would get a Mora. You really can't go wrong. They are the default knife for many.
    Bushcraft Force is really knife.

The buck 119 is the perfect for you. It is low cost and available at most sporting goods stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information