Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZT0560/1 vs 0550

ZT0560/1 vs 0550

ADVERTISEMENT
    Okay Folks,

Let me start by sharing that i am a very happy owner of an older style 0550. But another thread has me yearning for the newer style version with the deep-carry pocket clip...

...then I think, I'll likely want to put a custom scale on it as I have with my present knife as I'm all "Black G10'd" out. My preference would be green or brown...

...then it strikes me that it would put me right at 0561 price levels. Throw in the upgraded steel of Elmax and the KVT(?) opening bearing system and a flipper and I'm thinking "why not"?

The only thing is that whilst the 0550 is kind of bulky I like the size. I have the ZT0200 but never carry it in my pocket as it is just so big. So with the extra heft/size of the 0561 would I actually carry it? I appreciate that only I can really answer that myself but I'd appreciate input/ suggestions from those of you who have one of these knives (or both!).

All input very welcome. Thanks!

Ben

The 560 is about the same size as the 0200, but the 0200 is much thicker handle-wise.

Thanks for the comparison shots Gooeytek.

I have to say I'm leaning towards the 0561 given that I don't have a knife in Elmax and that I do already have the original 0550...

Decisions...

Thanks again!

Ben

You Could get a 0551...

Yeah, but no deep-carry clip and I'd still want a custom scale.

I know you have 3 stunning 0550's and it was partly that which prompted me to seriously consider another ZT purchase!

Cheers,

Ben

Actually a ZT0551, ZT0550 and ZT0550BLK(which since today isn't mine anymore) lol...I've owned 0560/1...and never seem to hold onto them..I like the 0550 series better

I just like the 0550s better as well. I would say you should get the 0560 just because it is a different knife and
    has the flipper. Flippers are what got me into ZTs in the first place.

Put one on the 0550s, and I would love it. After saying that, my 0560 gets it's share of attention as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Easy is getting harder everyday...

Try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Easy is getting harder everyday...

Nice 32055!!

I guess having such great knives to choose from is a nice 'problem' to have...

Pulled the trigger on the 0561 but will have to wait a few weeks until I'm back stateside to pick it up. So the waiting begins...

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts & experiences.

Ben

I have had my 560 for a couple of months now and just recently got a 0550, and at first I was on the edge about getting a 0550 because I felt like the 0560 was the next thing to a hinderer xm18. But now that I have a 0550 my thoughts have changed. The 0550 to me is a better knife for edc, and as far as my likes for the 560 goes if you put the flipper and kvt on the 0550 hands down it would be the better knife. I only wish I had a xm18 to compare them with. With the different prices of the three the differences would be interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts Black samurai,

Keen to get my hands on the 0561 to see for myself how it stacks up.

If the 0560 does prove to be too big for me I should be able to move it on here in the UK as a) they are pretty rare and b) they are retailing at $400! Buying when I'm Stateside really makes sense...

Cheers!

Ben

Hey, don't bad mouth the 200. Just kidding. I have sold several 200's and always bought another one. I have a new one know and this one is staying here. Sure is a heck of a knife for the money. I like the 550, but have kinda got spoiled, lazy using the flippers. Seems like a great way to open a knife.
    Ray

Just sold my 561, and I am seriously considering a 550. Once I move my 300 and Cryo, I'll have no more flippers and no more assisted openers. That action just isn't for me. If I can't open it with a thumbstud or a nail nick, I really don't want it.

That said, the 561 is a heck of a nice knife, and very tough. Great materials, too. To the OP, since you've already got the 500, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 560/561. On the Exchange, they're going for up to $60 off retail. Tremendous value.
    A.T. Faust
    @Patriotoons
    @Minutemaniac
    Minutemaniac.com

I agree that the 560/561 series are great knives, but I also agree with hoxhunbe that flippers are just not my thing.....much prefer the thumb-flick action. As a result I own two(have owned as many as three including a 551) 550s and love them. I've even owned a Hinderer XM 18 3.5" and sold it shortly after receiving it because I just enjoy the 550 so much more......and let's face it, I could buy between three and four 550s with custom scales for that price!! I agree with Chester22.....buy a 551, it gives you the meat of the 550 with the Elmax blade. Can't go wrong there!!!

I can flick open my 560 with the thumbstuds/bladestops just fine, are others having a problem with doing that?

After a good break in, I was able to flip my 0560 but not as easy as my 550. My 561 was also a lot easier, I'm thinking maybe it was cause I had a earlier model 560 but my 550 flicks open flawlessly even with my index finger, and that's with pretty decent detent.

I'm keen to try the 0560 for all the reasons previously mentioned but that doesn't reduce my appreciation and enjoyment of my 0550 one iota.

I suspect the will be a purchase of a newer version of the 0550 at some point in the future and I hardly ever double-up on knife purchases - says it all about how good the 0550 really is!

Cheers,

Ben

The 0560 is awesome, i love my 0550 but the 560 always beats it into my pocket. I don't own an 0200 but have an 0301 and it doesn't get carried for the same reason, it's just to big to ride nice in the clothes I wear. The 0560 carries much easier and I normally forget it is in my pocket. No matter what you choose I can guarantee you will be happy. This is just my experience.

Thanks for posting your experiences BrentD86...

...I figured I just had to give it a try. Don't get me wrong if there was an Elmax, deep-pocket carry (possibly with the KVT bearing system too) then I'd snap it up but given that the weight of the 0561 and 0550 is virtually the same and the 0561 is fractionally slimmer I can see why you might find it easier to carry (certainly compared to the 0300!).

It'll be a few weeks before I get my hands on my new knife but I'll post my thoughts once I do, FWIW...

Cheers!

Ben

Okay well I'm not trying to resurrect a dead thread but I did promise to report back once I got my 0561 in my hands and it finally happened!

So, the knife is perfect. Incredible fit and finish, smooth opening out of the gate(!), rock-solid lock-up, terrific attention to detail but...

...it is just so damn big. It seems more like a weapon than a tool at this size!

I'm going to give it a while but I think I might be coming down on the side of Chester22 in prefering the 0550 range. The blade to handle ratio just seems a little off (to me and possibly only to me). Comparing the feel, I actually prefer the slightly chunkier feel of the 0550 in hand although the 0561 does seem to melt into my pocket better. I suspect this is a combination of the 3D scales and the deep-carry pocket clip.

Whatever I decide, I'm glad to have got my hands on this knife and it is a terrific piece of work. Just not fully convinced that it is for me (yet)...

Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information