Thread: This unusual Sebenza and I crossed paths recently.

This unusual Sebenza and I crossed paths recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm not going to say too much about it, because I am not the owner, but I wanted to share it because I have never seen one like it. Regular Sebenza/ATS-34 steel/stonewashed grind/polished flats.

Cool!

That looks really cool.

That's a cool looking grind!
    WTB or trade for CRK large Sebenza with 'Morning Sun' graphics. Needs to have pine trees in the design.

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Very cool, thanks for sharing!
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

I ll take it! You did say it was for sale right?!
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

Looks like ill be adding another sebenza on my list of knives to pick up

Looks great. It seems to have a bit more belly than any Regular I've seen.

Thanks for showing us this nice-looking CRK. I'm not certain it's an original factory grind, but regardless, I like the shape and quality of the configuration if it was an after-market design. What I like is the absolute clean and Teutonic look it presents. Clean lines and a nice finish has always been a weakness of mine. Much like the simple and clean look of an unaltered M1911A1 Colt from the 1940's, or the lines and function of a Winchester Model 70 made in the late 30's and early 40's sporting a straight shotgun stock design with limited checkering and a no-nonsense 4X or 6X power fixed high quality scope and simple steel bases and mounts in 30-06 Springfield or .270 Winchester.....cya

Nice knife! I agree with ColtM1911A1 though...not sure that it's factory, it looks as though perhaps some of the tip and belly were ground away, resulting in the more rounded front end it has now. Cool knife regardless.

Back in the mid 90's Chris Reeve was experimenting with different blade finishes but I've never seen a regular with the same steel and finish as one of the originals, how cool and rare is that. It looks like it might have been a prototype.

I almost bought that one myself due to it's very unusual features. To list the few that I see:

- a non-numbered ATS-34 Regular Sebenza is extraordinarily rare, possibly unique
    - the blade shape is more spear-point than drop-point. Only the first Regulars had that shape.
    - as has been mentioned, the stonewashed hollows and satin finished flats were never a standard production style. As our esteemed colleague Dino pointed out, during the 95ish timeframe Chris was trying out different finishes. I've only seen this one other time.

A very nice collection piece by any standard. Congratulations to the buyer and thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by DallasSTB; 12-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    "The edge is a wondrous thing" - Sal
    RAT Pack #94
    Reevaholic #94

I am reasonably certain that it is the original grind and finish.

Thanks for the info about my knife. I was amazed when I saw the initial pic on just a site with all different pictures of sebenzas and then it took me back here to blade forum. Currently the knife is at Reeve being worked on as it was in quite bad condition when I sent it in. I called to speak to Angela about a different topic all together and she said that Chris himself was working on the knife as the lockbar was sticking quite badly. I was very surprised that Chris himself was working on my knife and she said that he remembered the knife as it was during the time (1996) to be exact when they were experimenting with many different types of blade configurations. I also asked if she could send me documentation with the Reeve letterhead on top that said that the knife was legit and explain how and why it was produced which she said she would do as well. I am the second owner as the first was a police officer that used the knife as a secondary weapon when he did undercover drug buys. That is all that he could tell me but he said he purchased the knife back in late 1996 and had it since and it had never been worked on which made me quite happy. I have the original birthcard and box and the box is quite intering as most or this era say Large Sebenza then Stonewashed underneith but this box only says Large Sebenza and nothing else. Nothing has fallen off as you would be able to tell when examining the box. I will post some pics when I get it back and would appreciate any input that you guys may have on it and there is a really interresing story of how I aquired the knife as well which I will tell when I post up some pics. But I have never seen another exactly like it and I am very happy to add it to my collection. Take care.

Super cool story and background! Thanks for sharing. That's quite a treasure!!!!!
    E.S.P. PNG

I want to see more pics and a copy of what Chris sends you about this knife. It's just too cool!
    WTB or trade for CRK large Sebenza with 'Morning Sun' graphics. Needs to have pine trees in the design.

love the 2 tone finish and the "bellyish" design of the blade
    cool piece!

Love an old school Sebenza. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendtech189 View Post
    Thanks for the info about my knife. I was amazed when I saw the initial pic on just a site with all different pictures of sebenzas and then it took me back here to blade forum. Currently the knife is at Reeve being worked on as it was in quite bad condition when I sent it in. I called to speak to Angela about a different topic all together and she said that Chris himself was working on the knife as the lockbar was sticking quite badly. I was very surprised that Chris himself was working on my knife and she said that he remembered the knife as it was during the time (1996) to be exact when they were experimenting with many different types of blade configurations. I also asked if she could send me documentation with the Reeve letterhead on top that said that the knife was legit and explain how and why it was produced which she said she would do as well. I am the second owner as the first was a police officer that used the knife as a secondary weapon when he did undercover drug buys. That is all that he could tell me but he said he purchased the knife back in late 1996 and had it since and it had never been worked on which made me quite happy. I have the original birthcard and box and the box is quite intering as most or this era say Large Sebenza then Stonewashed underneith but this box only says Large Sebenza and nothing else. Nothing has fallen off as you would be able to tell when examining the box. I will post some pics when I get it back and would appreciate any input that you guys may have on it and there is a really interresing story of how I aquired the knife as well which I will tell when I post up some pics. But I have never seen another exactly like it and I am very happy to add it to my collection. Take care.
    Well, s#!+. If I had known Chris was going to work on it, I would have kept it and sent it in myself, haha. Ah well. Enjoy it. Be sure to report back with pictures when it's done.

Yeah, I am expecting it to be done next week some time and I will be sure to put up some pics of the knife and birthcard/box. I still couldn't believe that Chris himself was working on my knife. When Angela told me that I was sort of lost for words. I will also post a copy of the letter that she sends me. I would like to thank everyone for their input and any future input that they may have. I certainly am not a Sebenza expert but I know my way around fairly well but would greatly appreciate any info that anyone could tell me about the knife when I get it back. I had to pay a bundle for it and actually purchased it on E Bay of all places. It was crazy because myself and another bidder both bid with seconds left and we had the exact same high bid but since I placed my initial bid before him my bid took precedence, I bet he was super pissed off. I have never heard of an auction ending with a tie but this one did and I was thankful that I was the winner. Anyways, I'll get some pics up asap when I get the knife back and maybe I can find out some more history of the blade from what the letter says. I have no clue how to put a value on this beauty but I would never sell it anyways, it is in my collection for good. So I will post again when I get it back and get some good pics of the knife and the letter that they send me. Thanks to everyone for their input and take care.

Thread Information