Thread: Anything here worth restoring? (Straights)

Anything here worth restoring? (Straights)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Coworker of mine got these in with some other stuff at an auction. I know very little about straights but she has very little cash invested in these. I think a couple of them may be salvageable in the right hands.

Any and all help greatly appreciated as well as tips on cleaning.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the pic quality...bad lighting where she works.

That is a nice haul! Those should all be able to clean up and be users. Even that big wedge (the joseph elliot I think) has lots of life left in it, but its been well used. No frowns, and the rest look like they have seen minimal use. The first thing will be to get some oil on them to stop any continuing corrosion, then check the scales. they all look like natural materials, so I don't think any are celluloid, but if any feel like plastic, give them a sniff. a vinegar/camphor smell is bad, and those scales should be removed and tossed immediately. (celluloid breaks down over time, and the gas released is very corrosive)
    As for cleaning, if you don't care about any echings still on the blades, then a brass tumbler would clean them up quickly, otherwise steel wool would do the job. Scales can be replaced and don't really drop the value of a good blade. Personally I think they are all worth restoring, Looks like it was a well loved set at one point. too bad it was left to rust, but at least you got it before then!

Those are some very nice looking blades man, Lucky find! My luck is never that good.

Blog Entries
    It looks like you potentially have some nice project pieces there.

Once cleaned up, you should have a better idea of how large the chips are...I am of the sort that says they ALL could be usable...it is just a matter of how much work you want to do to get them there, and what you will have left when you are done.

I find razors to be a lot of fun to work on.
    R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

The Wade and Butcher shavers rave about. The Mabcan from Toledo, OH is good and the Joseph Elliot. Post your photos over in Badgerandblade and those guys will tell you all about them. Many of those are worth putting handles on. DM

Thread Information