Thread: Large Damascus Fighter with a 2 piece sheath.

Large Damascus Fighter with a 2 piece sheath.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I made this damascus quite a while ago. It is fairly high layer, around 500 layers. It ends up giving it a subtle look, and I like how it finishes out. I forged out this rather large blade, and I am not sure "fighter" is the correct word. It is not a bowie, but I don't really know if "fighter is the best name for it either.

The handle is stabilized redwood with interesting curl and pattern. It is not as deep a red as normal redwood, but it is more of a dark brown. The guard is nickel silver and it has a g10 spacer. This one fits well in my hand.

The sheath is another one of my more fancy sheaths. It is a two piece sheath, that is designed to be used with the belt loop, or just with the blade sheath slipped inside the belt so that the Sam Brown stud catches on the top of the belt. It took quite a lot of time and tooling to finish this one up.

Dimensions
    Blade - 8 1/4" tip to guard
    OAL - 14"

Price - $400 shipped to US. I prefer paypal, but will accept check or money order.

The first to post here "I'll take it!" gets it.

Matthew Bailey
    www.baileyknives.com
    "Chuck Norris cried one day when he saw how sharp Matt's knives were." Fz1boxer

This is an absolute beauty...

Very nice damascus...

Very nice...and oh...so...tempting!!!!
    Robert
    www.photolightscape.com

Knife Collection (Under construction.)
    http://www.photolightscape.com/p1010101300

I'll take it Matt. Can't resist.

It is yours Bitou, I will get it ready for you

Thanks!
    Matthew Bailey
    www.baileyknives.com

Beautiful work!

Matthew: real good looking rig there!

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." Benjamin Franklin

ABS Apprentice Smith

www.steingassknives.com

Knife and sheath are always GREAT!

I think it's a lovely knife and I was sorely tempted. However the knife was too nice to leave the forging marks. That turned me off a bit. I know this is only my opinion and lots of folks like that Almost every maker is doing it. I guess it's like my mother;she hated bare wood, like paneling, because only "poor folks" had unpainted wood. I don't mean to be a curmudgeon but this trend has bothered me some. I mean no offense to your work. I think it is great. I just had to say what has been on my mind.

As in any art, it's not as much about the particular technique or media but how they are put together. This is where Matt Bailey's knives stand out. There is a balance between just the right amount of the rustic features and an obviously high level of precision and craftsmanship that in my opinion stands out from many other similar- looking knives. I find the forge marks to be one of the more attractive features. The forge marks also remind you that this is a unique and most often hand-forged blade.

I agree in principle and it is a very well done knife. My comments in no way reflected on Matt's quality of work. Your point is well taken and I understand. As I said: "My mother would paint it".
    If I have offended Matt I apologize and Bitou, your point is well taken.
    Last edited by drducati; 10-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.

well, I am too late, again.

It's such a nice package. Matt, would you have something like that sometime in the near future?

only 20 minutes to a sale and I can see why, I like this one quite a bit. Guess I'll have to pay more attention

Dr. D. There is no offense taken. I do it for a few reasons. First and foremost is that I like how it looks, I like the contrast between the rough forge scale and the 2000 grit etched finish. Secondly is that it basically never rusts where the scale is. I do, however, understand that different folks like different things. I should probably do some more "clean" knives, but I like the look of the forge scale so much that I don't do it that often. I go through phases with things and I am sure that sooner or later this will pass.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
    Matthew Bailey
    www.baileyknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by drducati View Post
    I think it's a lovely knife and I was sorely tempted. However the knife was too nice to leave the forging marks. That turned me off a bit. I know this is only my opinion and lots of folks like that Almost every maker is doing it. I guess it's like my mother;she hated bare wood, like paneling, because only "poor folks" had unpainted wood. I don't mean to be a curmudgeon but this trend has bothered me some. I mean no offense to your work. I think it is great. I just had to say what has been on my mind.
    Matt, don't change a thing. Your work is amazing.. IMO

Thread Information