Thread: I came across this list... [update]

I came across this list... [update]

ADVERTISEMENT
    How accurate and up-to-date are these lists?

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

I live in one of the CA cities, and it says that a knife with a blade over 3" is considered a "deadly or dangerous weapon" does that make it illegal, and if so... how illegal (misdemeanor, felony, fine, warning, jail time)? If this is accurate, I wasn't aware about all of these cities in CA having 3" laws; I though it was just San Fran, Oakland, Sac, and LA. But somehow I can carry a 9" bowie legally as long as it's exposed.
    Last edited by knife2Agunfight; 10-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    @shmifandweshun on Instagram

SF, Oakland and LA have the 3 inch limit but Sac doesn't have a limit, I got pulled over by Sac PD with a 4 inch blade and the officer said nothing about a length limit, the cop gave the knife back and said it has to be carried folded in the pocket.
    Last edited by Nutty Knife Nut; 10-29-2012 at 03:15 AM.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's only SF,Oakland and LA that has the 3 inch limit....they could of made a mistake on that list and maybe its outdated from 1997.
    Last edited by Nutty Knife Nut; 10-29-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knife2Agunfight View Post
    How accurate and up-to-date are these lists?

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

I live in one of the CA cities, and it says that a knife with a blade over 3" is considered a "deadly or dangerous weapon" does that make it illegal, and if so... how illegal (misdemeanor, felony, fine, warning, jail time)? If this is accurate, I wasn't aware about all of these cities in CA having 3" laws; I though it was just San Fran, Oakland, Sac, and LA. But somehow I can carry a 9" bowie legally as long as it's exposed.
    Lots of inaccuracies, unfortunately.

Okay, so I actually checked my city's municipal codes, and it says that any knife with a blade over 3" in length is considered a deadly or dangerous weapon. It does not say that they are illegal, however it does say this:

10.56.020 - Fighting prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person or who has in his immediate physical possession any dangerous or deadly weapon to engage in any fight or to participate in any rough or disorderly conduct upon any public place or way or upon the premises of another.

10.56.050 - Tools excepted.

The restrictions set forth in Sections 10.56.020 through 10.56.040 shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business or for the purpose of legitimate recreation.
    Last edited by knife2Agunfight; 10-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Critter, Can you give me some examples of inaccuracies on the list. I can't post the whole law there but give people a place to start looking. If you also read the header on the knife law page you will see the listing only pertains to folding type knives.

Thank you and Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
    Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
    Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Critter, Can you give me some examples of inaccuracies on the list. I can't post the whole law there but give people a place to start looking. If you also read the header on the knife law page you will see the listing only pertains to folding type knives.

Thank you and Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
    Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
    Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
    Bit buried at this time. Contact me offline next week and we can discuss some of them I am aware of.

I have seen that list before and I have found it's not terribly accurate, or at the very least it miss-states the meaning of existing law.

So, according to this list, it tells me that any folding knife with a blade over 3" is illegal to carry. A quick reading of my municodes proved it wrong.

Anything over 3" makes it a deadly weapon. Which would make Assault and Battery (under 3" knife) to Assault with a Deadly Weapon (over 3" knife). My city pretty much says, "As long as you don't intend to hurt/kill someone with it, it is legal and there is no law on the size of a folder."

Thread Information