Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Wilson Custom Fillet knife

Thumbs up Phil Wilson Custom Fillet knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just got this in today.

Specs:

CPM 154 at 60 HRC

7 3/4" Distal Tapered blade with medium flex.

.010" to .005" behind the edge.

Blade thickness - .093" to .011" at the tip.

Review will follow in the review section.

Last edited by Ankerson; 11-03-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Very nice . Phils work is very high on my wants list. But since last I knew he isnt taking orders at the moment. How thin did he take that behind the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel130 View Post
    Very nice . Phils work is very high on my wants list. But since last I knew he isnt taking orders at the moment. How thin did he take that behind the edge?
    .010" to .005" towards the tip.

That's a real beauty Jim, congrats!!
    "A revolution is an idea which has found its bayonets"

Quote Originally Posted by eloreno View Post
    That's a real beauty Jim, congrats!!
    Thanks man, been waiting a long time to get this.

Great looking knife Jim. I really like natural micarta, and the black liners are a nice touch.
    Looks to be a real slicing demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken44 View Post
    Great looking knife Jim. I really like natural micarta, and the black liners are a nice touch.
    Looks to be a real slicing demon.
    Thanks Ken.

The liners are dark green.

Can't wait to put this one through it's paces.

Oh yeah it's going to be a real cutter.

I haven't had the pleasure of examining or using any of Mr. Wilson's work, but I've sure learned a lot from reading his thoughts on geometry, steel selection and HT. I look forward to the review!
    Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

THK kitchen knife passaround

Very nice! I just got the Spyderco Phil Wilson yesterday and it has definitely got me wanting a custom directly from Phil, probably a Smoke Creek Drop point in S110V or the Carpenter equivalent. How long of a wait was it after ordering?

The fish tremble with fear!

Knice knife, congrats

Thanks guys.

He has a long waiting list so it was awhile, but well worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by james terrio View Post
    I haven't had the pleasure of examining or using any of Mr. Wilson's work, but I've sure learned a lot from reading his thoughts on geometry, steel selection and HT. I look forward to the review!
    He is a legend in the industry for sure.

That's a beauty for sure! It must be maddening waiting so long for such a great knife. I am getting mentally addicted to his knives. The spyderco soutfork barely satisfied the itch, but is a great design and blade for sure. I only live a couple hours away from Mr. Wilson, so I might have to contact him for a visit and a commissioning. :-)

What a beauty I've really been admiring Mr. Wilson's work lately, natural micarta is my favorite as well. I'd be out fishing rain sleet or snow till I caught a fish just to use it as it was meant! Can't wait for the review on this one, IMO CPM 154 is one of the best steels around, I wish it as more widely used in production blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    He is a legend in the industry for sure.
    There's a lot to learn about knives, steel, heat-treatments and profiles in the trade!

Congrats to a very nice knife!

Regards
    Mikael

That is one of the best looking knives I've seen. I really like filet knives...which is odd...because I've never filetted a fish in my life. But that is truely stunning. Everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    That's a beauty for sure! It must be maddening waiting so long for such a great knife. I am getting mentally addicted to his knives. The spyderco soutfork barely satisfied the itch, but is a great design and blade for sure. I only live a couple hours away from Mr. Wilson, so I might have to contact him for a visit and a commissioning. :-)
    I had 4 of his knives before I got this one so it wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf90 View Post
    What a beauty I've really been admiring Mr. Wilson's work lately, natural micarta is my favorite as well. I'd be out fishing rain sleet or snow till I caught a fish just to use it as it was meant! Can't wait for the review on this one, IMO CPM 154 is one of the best steels around, I wish it as more widely used in production blades.
    It will see a lot of use for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael W View Post
    There's a lot to learn about knives, steel, heat-treatments and profiles in the trade!

Congrats to a very nice knife!

Regards
    Mikael
    There is always more to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierQ View Post
    That is one of the best looking knives I've seen. I really like filet knives...which is odd...because I've never filetted a fish in my life. But that is truely stunning. Everything about it.
    Fillet knives can be used for a lot of different things, they are great in the kitchen too.

I believe it was Phil's love of fishing and the need of better, more capable knives that got him into the high performance knife world.

He sure has made his mark!

What I like is the dedication to uncompromising performance. Everything is very well thought out and planned including the behind the edge thinness. You had better believe if Phil had no knowledge of Jim and his experience and down to earth use of knives the specs as arrived in Jim's hand would have been a bit different, IF Jim could have ordered one at all. Phil is in the position that there are more people wanting one of his knives than there are knives going to be available for the next couple of years. Last I spoke to him he wasn't taking any new orders.

He gets to know the buyer and determines their needs and experience level , talks over steels, materials, hardness, and then proceeds to make a knife that looks good, feels great, and performs as good as a knife can with current state of the art technology.

No art knives here. Sure, wood, or materials that look nice can be selected but the primary purpose will never be looks.

I am fortunate enough to have a Phil Wilson custom in S110V. Wow! That's about the best way to describe it's performance.

Jim, congratulations on another excellent knife.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    I believe it was Phil's love of fishing and the need of better, more capable knives that got him into the high performance knife world.

He sure has made his mark!

What I like is the dedication to uncompromising performance. Everything is very well thought out and planned including the behind the edge thinness. You had better believe if Phil had no knowledge of Jim and his experience and down to earth use of knives the specs as arrived in Jim's hand would have been a bit different, IF Jim could have ordered one at all. Phil is in the position that there are more people wanting one of his knives than there are knives going to be available for the next couple of years. Last I spoke to him he wasn't taking any new orders.

He gets to know the buyer and determines their needs and experience level , talks over steels, materials, hardness, and then proceeds to make a knife that looks good, feels great, and performs as good as a knife can with current state of the art technology.

No art knives here. Sure, wood, or materials that look nice can be selected but the primary purpose will never be looks.

I am fortunate enough to have a Phil Wilson custom in S110V. Wow! That's about the best way to describe it's performance.

Jim, congratulations on another excellent knife.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks man.

Very true, Phil's knives are at the very top of the heap performance wise and IMO it just doesn't get any better than that.

Everything about his designs, blade and edge geometry, Heat Treating and tempering process screams mind blowing ultra high performance, all of them have been and are tested IN THE FIELD doing what they are supposed to do and tweaked to get the very best that can be had performance wise.

Phil Wilson is a true artist in his trade and those of us who are lucky enough to own one or more of his knives truly understand why he is a legend, performance, feel and balance, the knives feel like air in hand.

Yeah, he is very very serious about his fillet knives, they are said to be the very best fillet knives made, and that's from some very big names in the industry.

Update.

Just chopped down a 3' pine tree with it.... No, not really. ROFL

Added the Specs to the 1st post.

Finished the rope cutting part of the testing today, it performed extremely well making 600 slicing cuts (Draw cuts) through 5/8" manila rope and would still slice printer paper easy, after that I stropped it like 6 times each side on a strop loaded with SIC from a Med Norton SIC stone and it was push cutting phone book paper.

The rest will be in the full review with photos after I finish the tasks and write it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information