Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quality Traditional Production Bowies

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by ron_m80 View Post
    If you want a quality blade to be used like an original bowie knife, grind down a 12" Ontario Machete, to a clip point and sharpen it up, then place a stacked leather or tag handle on it. "Bowie" knife problems solved.

Also DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK OUT RUANA KNIVES They are required viewing for anyone that dreams of bowie ownership. They are pricey, but they have real bowie lineage behind them. I get mine in another couple of months all things permitting. They are dang lust worthy to look at too.
    How bad is the wait time? I have a Winkler Combat Axe coming(price of which I'm surprised hasn't caused a heart attack) and the wait is torture!

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    As Richstag said, there are a lot of Bark River bowies to choose from. Some bowies will have a tactical look, some old fashioned, and some will look traditional with certain handle scales and tactical with others. Lots of different choices.

Searching for Bark River bowie on Google Images produced a lot of different models. I have had quite a few Barkies over the years, the one bowie that stands out was a coffin handled bowie that was too nice to use. Many other models that weren't specifically called bowie.

Bark River also makes the fixed blade Scagels and fixed blade Blackjacks out there. The Blackjacks are about as close as you'll get to a Randall without going custom. You might be able to find quite a few Barkies on the Exhchange.

Quote Originally Posted by VolundoftheForge View Post
    How bad is the wait time? I have a Winkler Combat Axe coming(price of which I'm surprised hasn't caused a heart attack) and the wait is torture!
    "X" months was what I was quoted. I still have two months left. It isn't a long wait concidering what you get in the end.
    At the feast of EGO everyone sits at the same table, hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by ron_m80 View Post
    "X" months was what I was quoted. I still have two months left. It isn't a long wait concidering what you get in the end.
    I looked them up. They look nice, but I think it'll be a while before I could brace myself and hit the "order" button.

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    As Richstag said, there are a lot of Bark River bowies to choose from. Some bowies will have a tactical look, some old fashioned, and some will look traditional with certain handle scales and tactical with others. Lots of different choices.

Searching for Bark River bowie on Google Images produced a lot of different models. I have had quite a few Barkies over the years, the one bowie that stands out was a coffin handled bowie that was too nice to use. Many other models that weren't specifically called bowie.

Bark River also makes the fixed blade Scagels and fixed blade Blackjacks out there. The Blackjacks are about as close as you'll get to a Randall without going custom. You might be able to find quite a few Barkies on the Exhchange.
    Thank you, I like the Halo Attack 7 1/2", and I think I'll look into Bark River's actual bowies and see what they have.

Oh yeah. Breaking $500 for a knife is one stepping stone. $1000 is the next. As much as I love the classy Lile bowies, I don't think I want to know what that feels like anytime soon.
    At the feast of EGO everyone sits at the same table, hungry.

The Bark River Rogue is a nice knife.

- Christian

Quote Originally Posted by kamagong View Post
    The Bark River Rogue is a nice knife.

- Christian
    Ooooh, like the coffin handle. Mind PMing me where to find one? Can't find any good Bark River bowies where I look.

Google "Reg Cooper" in Sheffield
    Carbon in leather or stag handles
    Some expensive
    Some very reasonably priced
    Neeman

All of the usual suspects seem to be out at the moment. Looks like you might have to wait until the next production run.

- Christian

My favorite fixed blade is my Blackjack Model 14. However, Blackjack has planes for a new larger Model 14 eventually.

The BR Rouge is as close to the earliest Bowie's as You can get in a production model.

As for now they are only availible on the second hand market, but I suppose they will make more runs of this model.

TK2 004.jpg

TK2 001.jpg

Regards
    Mikael

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but has anyone had any experience with Ken Richardson's bowies? If not his bowies, how about any of his knives? They are sold on the bay, and are quite pretty.

Thanks

~Zim

A number of years ago Paul Chen of Cas Hanwei put out a series of early bowie repros. The Bell bowie got huge reviews in most of the mags and were sold out very quickly at $200.00. I haven't found one on the after market but a few of the other models are still available at a bit more cost. Search Cas Hanwei bowies if you want to see them. There is a pic of the Bell bowie on one of the sites that comes up.

Regards

Robin

Im not sure how traditional these are?...but i like them anyway....The W49 is highly under rated in my opinion,good steel,blade shape and weight.......FES

Quote Originally Posted by festerfromnzed View Post
    Im not sure how traditional these are?...but i like them anyway....The W49 is highly under rated in my opinion,good steel,blade shape and weight.......FES

The Al Mar is rather interesting. Also liking the Randall a lot.

Here are some of my FAVORITE Bowies in my collection!! Sorry the pics are horrible!!IMG_20121104_011455_327_800x450.jpgIMG_20121104_011509_322_800x450.jpgIMG_20121104_011514_549_800x450.jpg
    1) Ruana 30a-- MONSTER of a knife. This is the MOST SOLID one i have.. Its a BIG THICK PIECE of steel with a tip that appears unbreakable!
    2) Ruana Bowie 43d 43-d -- I believe this was made by Rudy Ruana.. Its a old style vintage knife.. Nice and fast to handle..
    3) Todd Hunt Brassback bowie.. Mr.Hunt is on BF.. He took this project for me and WOW is all I can say!! The BRASSBACK on this is not like most brassback bowies.. He actually inserted a piece of brass into the BLADE and did FILE WORK.. This one I cant imagine ever parting with.. I am gonna contract him again to make something even more WILD! This was simply amazing piece! He file work is just stunning. And his gaurd is called "RISING SUN" super cool how it blends with the BRASSBACK--> THIS IS A CUSTOM KNIFE, but its one of my favorite so I had to group it with my others

4) AL MAR ANNIVERSARY BOWIE-- This is a SUPER RARE PRODUCTION BOWIE.. Mr. Mar is the man! Not just a knife marker but a man who fought for this country and is now in the Knife ALL OF FAME.. This is a vintage knife.. Mr. Mar passed away... I only buy the vintage stuff(new stuff are good users)
    5) AL MAR Alaskin bowie.. A Classic vintage

I love that COFFIN HANDLE AL MAR.. THose are actually hard to find.. If it states SEKI JAPAN on the other side you may have a rare one!, Also if the TANG is shown on both sides of the handle - all i can say is WOW! AL MAR vintage bowies had different variations.. One of the RAREST ones feel like TanKS, then some of the others that have the LOW LAYING BELLY handle (non coffin) are lighter!!

would you folks consider the Kabar to be bowie enough?

Reg Cooper is the bottom one in this pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by neeman View Post
    Google "Reg Cooper" in Sheffield
    Carbon in leather or stag handles
    Some expensive
    Some very reasonably priced

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information