Thread: Another BeckerHead Gathering Thread

Another BeckerHead Gathering Thread

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'll add my gathering pictures to the pile. There aren't very many as I have bad camera discipline and often put it down and wander away from it. And of course, I am not as skilled a photographer as some others who were present.

I arrived Thursday evening after a 12 hour drive. I made it just after dark, met those who had already arrived, and set up my hammock and tarp.

On Friday, we ventured down to the shop.

Many blade of various types can be found in Ehan's shop.

Some are rare models that are no longer in production.

Some are prototypes that never made it to production.

And some show the history behind the knives we know well.

Ethan was gracious and trusting enough to let us run free through his shop, handle his knives, and use with his equipment.

Some traps were set outside, presumably for those who were hogging the belt sander.

Ethan issued choppers to several of us, and invited us to try them out on some willow that needed cutting. Ethan is no fool. BeckerHeads are cheap labor.

I was issued a machax, and it performed admirably.

Ark got to try a patrol machete.

Ethan cooked a great dinner for us...

Pork loin stew, which I promptly ate without taking pictures.

I did get to try out the new kitchen knives.

While I was helping Ethan with the cooking, Vic and Pointy had the forge going.

Saturday morning came.

Again we went down to the shop. A few of us went down ahead of the others, and I used that time to check out this blade from the Average Iowa Forge.

Ethan liked it too.

When everyone was congregated in the shop, AverageIowaGuy spoke to us about his adventures and gave a fascinating talk about outdoors medicine. He is very knowledgeable in the medical field and an experienced outdoorsman with a practical, no nonsense philosophy on wound care, though he seems to have a strange obsession with Vaseline.

We also had a discussion about EDC, in which Ethan revealed that his secret survival tool was Jeff Randall's phone number.

Ethan demonstrated the chopping ability of an interesting Japanese blade.

And some more chopping and rope cutting took place until it was time to go back up to camp and prepare the chilli for supper.

Sunday morning came with cool temperatures and plenty of rain. Wanting to get a good start on my 12 hour drive, I packed up in the rain, said my goodbyes, and got on the road.

As has already been said, the gathering was a great time. Ethan is a fine host and took very good care of us all. I am glad to have met everyone that was there, and I hope to get back to Half Moon Ridge any time I am able.

Nice pics... I like the workshop pics

...Been staring at that box of tweeners for about an hour...Weird?
    Last edited by CamH_16; 11-01-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks for the pics and wrap-up, looks like a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by CamH_16 View Post
    ...Been staring at that box of tweeners for about an hour...Weird?
    Kinda weird, but did you see the Buck pac lite in the group.... Clear to see Ethan has worked through many popular designs. I still think the mini 2 and mini 5 are about perfect looking knives.

Quote Originally Posted by paperairplane View Post
    Kinda weird, but did you see the Buck pac lite in the group.... Clear to see Ethan has worked through many popular designs. I still think the mini 2 and mini 5 are about perfect looking knives.
    No I didnt...You see the totally messed up eskabar in the first pic? Your right about the FPR tweeners, still wish SMKW hadnt gone and effed them all up.

Blog Entries
    There isn't a Buck Pac Lite in the pic. This is the original pic of the entire evolution of the BK11. No Buck Pac Lite. The inspiration is at the top, then the succession of knives until you end up with the BK11.

Here is a picture of a Buck Pac Lite for reference.

Similar, but not a Buck in the mix.

"Go Forth & Propagate you ignorant git. " - Phil Gibbs

Man I'd love to fiddle around with those tweener proto's That one second from the left has a similiar recurve to a PMoore knife I have. Slices feathersticks like a dream. That probably wouldnt be that hard of a mod to do with a BK16....
    Becker Head #94

*Formally B.G. Leatherworks.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    Zebra tested and Beckerhead approved.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I'm digging the 4th one from the right. Kinda BK-16/mini-cleaver/ish.

Wow, I wish I lived closer. I would have loved to be there and meet everyone, including Ethan. Being an Engineer, I love to see how designs change from revision to revision and why.

Blog Entries
    At one point it was a personal quest to find the original "tweeners" proto pic. Still haven't tracked it down, but I did find a couple of others that show just how many designs were at one point being considered, and also give the reasoning behind that weird sheath that came with the BK11's and 14's for so long.

Those pics must have taken a lot of digging. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the tanto necker.

I also seem to remember that picture you've been seeking, but have no clue where it might be found.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I also find it interesting that the earlier version of the 16 has a much higher grind than the FPR saber 16.

Hey Derek.....

Where in God's name did you find that pic....... The one with the Micro TacTul........

Ethan
    Ethan Becker
    BK&T
    "Becker Knives Work for a Living"

Knife Rights member #002 - How about you?

Hey Mr. Shadow.....

It was a pleasure to have you here........Come Back!!!!!!!........Love the pics and glad you had a good time.....Thanks for the post.....

Ethan
    Ethan Becker
    BK&T
    "Becker Knives Work for a Living"

Knife Rights member #002 - How about you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Becker View Post
    Hey Derek.....

Where in God's name did you find that pic....... The one with the Micro TacTul........

Ethan
    Actually it was in a thread here, although from some time back. The first picture was a scan someone took of a picture from Tactical Knives Magazine, p.80 I think of the July 2009 photo. The second pic I think may be from the same get together that the first pic was taken at, but I can't be for sure. What has eluded me all this time was the picture that showed just the tweeners on what I think was that section of downed fence that sat next to your shop for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I'm digging the 4th one from the right. Kinda BK-16/mini-cleaver/ish.
    that was my favorite of the batch, too.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Thread Information