Page 761 of 763 FirstFirst ... 261661711751757758759760761762763 LastLast
Results 15,201 to 15,220 of 15254

Thread: What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

  1. #15201

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    I can see this humble Camillus Barlow, sitting on top of the top plate of a garage wall - for a couple of decades!!
    Not really abused - just lonesome and un-used, un-loved!!
    It cut a few things, but nobody ever sharpened it much, nor applied oil regularly - sniff!!!!



    Come to Papa little knifey!! I will lube you well, and rub you down with an oily cloth!! Nice blades you've got there! Recurved clip - you look and snap like a class "A" Remington!!
    I won't erase your patina - that's part of your character!! But I will give you a nice edge, and take you for a ride now and then!!
    This is the first day of the rest of your life good buddy!!
    What a beauty! She's in good hands now!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #15202
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by r8shell View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who talks to their knives.
    The only time you have to worry is when they talk back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #15203
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    13,859
    Thanks for bumping the post up to this page, Rob!!
    And I am doing my best for this guy!
    After a good oiling, the action smoothed out (it wasn't too bad to begin) and is strong and snappy - main pull 7-8, and pen 6-7 - just perfect!!
    So, I was rubbing the blades with an oily rag, and a salesman's number popped up out of the shallow corrosion layer!! Interesting!!

    Maybe this knife spent some time in a (luxurious?) knife roll before it was released into the harsh world?!?!
    The main blade has a decent edge now, if not as sophisticated as one of Rob's fine cutting edges. I'll get to the pen another day. . . . . . .
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

  4. #15204
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    13,859
    Quote Originally Posted by r8shell View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who talks to their knives.
    Sometimes they are the only thing around worth listening to!!
    (Not in my house of course!!)
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

  5. #15205
    Quality. That ephemeral dimension which, as Pirsig says, we have great difficulty in defining, but no difficulty in knowing when it is absent. That, at least, is my basic understanding of one of the many points he's getting at in his classic work. So too, I think, with the humble Barlow. What makes a good traditional Barlow? My answer is: quality. It need have nothing to do with the brand, nor even the age, or history of the object. Although those elements can certainly give momentum to the quality train. Barlow quality, I tentative venture, is something that arrives and is judged through the senses: the weight, the finish, the sheen, the texture, the proportions, the optics. It's in the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Quality is in the essential form and function of the things we enjoy using. For some time now, I've found it nigh on impossible to divorce quality and the GEC TC Barlow releases. These are singular in the way they command attention. In a throw-away-here-today-gone-tomorrow world, it's important that things of quality are made and that they endure. To Charlie, and everyone involved with these knives, thank you for your commitment to quality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #15206
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    I can see this humble Camillus Barlow, sitting on top of the top plate of a garage wall - for a couple of decades!!
    Not really abused - just lonesome and un-used, un-loved!!
    It cut a few things, but nobody ever sharpened it much, nor applied oil regularly - sniff!!!!



    Come to Papa little knifey!! I will lube you well, and rub you down with an oily cloth!! Nice blades you've got there! Recurved clip - you look and snap like a class "A" Remington!!
    I won't erase your patina - that's part of your character!! But I will give you a nice edge, and take you for a ride now and then!!
    This is the first day of the rest of your life good buddy!!
    That is a beautiful Barlow Charlie! I love that Sugar Daddy candy color that a lot of the old ones seem to become. It appears to me that the center pin is a bit closer to the bolster on this knife, and some of the other Camillus Barlows that I have seen (in pictures of) around here. My first thought is that they have a stronger pull, and maybe more snap because of this. Is this so...or maybe the springs are made shallower allowing a lighter action than it seems?

  7. #15207
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    13,859
    Great mini-treatise on Quality MJ!!!

    Glad you enjoy the details of that Barlow, GE!!!

    I have never figured out all the ins and outs, about spring-pin placement, GE.
    I do know that besides giving a more aggressive cutting geometry, a recurved cutting edge, as seen on this Barlow, and many other knives, most notable Remingtons, the recurve also avoids blade knock, or blade strike, against the pin-hump in a backspring.
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

  8. #15208
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    153
    Posted this in the daily carry thread but it probably draws more interest here. Old Ulster "Easy Cut" with cracked ice handles.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

  9. #15209
    Thats a rare one Atiger, nice find.

    Charlie, that Camillus is a great find, looks to be unused, like you say,probably put away in an shed an garage and forgot about. The rust on the bolsters just looks like surface rust and should clean up OK. I use hand method that seems to work dealing with the rust without giving the knife the over buffed look.

    I rub some of the hard green polishing compound on a scrap of leather and the gently rub the rusted area of the knife on it, it removes the rust and does polish some but the finish looks close to factory. The Case Tested I showed you at the Rendezvous was found in similar condition to your Camillus and I was able to remove the rust using that method. I'm trying to not remove the patina but deal with the rust. Before and after pics of the Case.






  10. #15210
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    13,859
    Thanks for the tip, John! That's a beautiful Case!
    It must take a fair bit of rubbing to achieve that level of removal. I am very cautious of removing too much. For instance, I could easily lose those numbers on the blade, which would not be good IMO.
    I've a mind to wait, procrastinate a bit!!
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

  11. #15211
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Paradise - New Zealand
    Posts
    7,859
    Augie Sir- beautiful Case there my friend- I wonder what preserved the tip of the blade - as to not surface rust with the rest of the blade- in most cases we see the rust along the top of the blade where it isn't covered by the Liners etc- ( not talked about gassing off here with Cells - as we know that's rusts within).
    I wonder if it was a greasy Thumb?
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

    Really interested in the HJ Pattern - always looking.

  12. #15212
    Thanks Duncan, I don't know what protected the tip, maybe had some manufacturing oil there, one of those 70 year old mysteries.

  13. #15213
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    8,069
    Charlie, MJ, Atiger and John, such wonderful Barlows I'd say

    Now an updated one from way back, you know circa 2014 not forgotten but had sat in my safe way in the back for sometime. While searching for a car title I was pleasantly reminded that this knife belonged to me and quickly popped the tube top and in my pocket with pride...what a BEAUTY, check out the swedge/swage on the pen




    Last edited by paulhilborn; 01-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Paul
    RIP Buddy Boy, gone but NEVER forgotten!!!
    PATRIOT NATION, SUPERBOWL XLIX CHAMPIONS

  14. #15214
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,447
    Very nice Paul !
    I bet it was a nice surprise to find that baby again


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15215
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,397
    just got in!!!

    thanks again Charlie!!
    wtb/wtt 151113 Blackwood TC Clip NIT preferred

  16. #15216
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,447

    What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

    ^^Another Beauty ! Man I love this thread !!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #15217
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    8,069
    Jack listen to the distant chants..."use it" "use it" "use it" Just kidding buddy, she's a BEAUTY
    Paul
    RIP Buddy Boy, gone but NEVER forgotten!!!
    PATRIOT NATION, SUPERBOWL XLIX CHAMPIONS

  18. #15218
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nebrasky
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by mrknife View Post
    just got in!!!

    thanks again Charlie!!
    Ha... Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ramrodmb; 01-13-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Looking for: 98 camp knife (user)
    2009 BF Stag Barlow

  19. #15219
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhilborn View Post
    Charlie, MJ, Atiger and John, such wonderful Barlows I'd say

    Now an updated one from way back, you know circa 2014 not forgotten but had sat in my safe way in the back for sometime. While searching for a car title I was pleasantly reminded that this knife belonged to me and quickly popped the tube top and in my pocket with pride...what a BEAUTY, check out the swedge/swage on the pen




    That is a nice one! Here's one that came in the mail yesterday. My new user.
    "There is a no more stupid, or more dangerous way of making decisions, than to put those decisions in the hands of those who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

  20. #15220
    Quote Originally Posted by Augie View Post
    Thats a rare one Atiger, nice find.

    Charlie, that Camillus is a great find, looks to be unused, like you say,probably put away in an shed an garage and forgot about. The rust on the bolsters just looks like surface rust and should clean up OK. I use hand method that seems to work dealing with the rust without giving the knife the over buffed look.

    I rub some of the hard green polishing compound on a scrap of leather and the gently rub the rusted area of the knife on it, it removes the rust and does polish some but the finish looks close to factory. The Case Tested I showed you at the Rendezvous was found in similar condition to your Camillus and I was able to remove the rust using that method. I'm trying to not remove the patina but deal with the rust. Before and after pics of the Case.





    That's a really beautiful knife and you did a really fine job of bringing this gem back to life. Great work!

Page 761 of 763 FirstFirst ... 261661711751757758759760761762763 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •