Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knives of the New York Custom Knife Show - 2012

Knives of the New York Custom Knife Show - 2012

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi friends,

I REALLY enjoyed this show. The NJ NYCKS locale is close to our home (1 hour), the show promoters (Fifty Fifty Productions) do a fantastic job and are VERY well liked, and the Show itself is popular and exciting. (Props to Steve D'Lack, Kylee, and Cricket for their work.)

This Fall show has a different flavor than the Spring Show. It's more tactical in nature than the March ECCKS (at the same venue), although not dominant by any means. There is something for EVERYONE.

Classy badges on a lanyard --- Kylee and Peter fooling around while working the door --- One of my posters next to my Slideshow going all day long.

The outside of the hall before the show began:

Here's my wife Susan bustling about. This was the LARGE room I am afforded with to shoot in. It's spacious, well lit, and only a few steps beyond the elevators and the *ahem* restrooms...

The show came close behind Hurricane Sandy, and as the old adage goes: The Show must go on! It was affected by the storm, yet it effected a huge benefit despite this.

One of the drawbacks to working at a show is how much I miss. I know there was a TON of donations to the NY/NJ Red Cross Relief efforts, and I hope someone else can help me fill in the makers and the knives they contributed as well as anything else that was relevant.

We had plenty of work to keep us going, and it was one of the first shows in memory which also allowed me to frequent the show hall in between projects. What a pleasure!

I'll start posting knife images next.

Coop
    Jim Cooper - Capturing the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives. • Makers: Read Post 815 AND Post 891 •
    • 2014 Website - Below • SBC on Facebook •

Aldo Bruno is the NJ Steel Baron. Well-regarded and known to ALL knifemakers. He has a heart of gold and an eye for quality makers.
    He's pointed more than a couple of uber-talented, up-and-comers to me to get their work shown. Often on HIS dime!

Case in point: Ramon Chavez from NM. He wasn't at the show, but this came in just before and was delivered back to Aldo at the site. Yup, It's good work.

Philip Booth has been making unique smaller knives for years. Here he showed he can do a more traditional 'dress tactical'

Brian Fellhoelter hails from AZ, and came to this show. Very highly-regarded maker. Nothing but upper grade materials for this dress tactical.

Aaron Frederick showed how he can make a framelock for $300 and sell them all. That's the way!

And he also showed his confederate colors on this colorful piece.

David Mirabile has won Best Fighter at Blade. This piece was a delivery to a client (maker) at this show. What a startling combination of old-tradition and hi-tech materials.

EDITED: The stand is carved from an ancient walrus jawbone.
    I am clueless that one should NEVER display this style knife in it's stand with the edge down. David deserved better than this, and I take all the heat.
    Guilty as charged. (Also: forgive the oily blade.)

Last year Aldo brought in Brian Nadeau's work. This year he came to me direct. Pull your chair up if you like precision machining and really good engineering.

This knife was one of the more exciting pieces that I liked. This is one of a couple of proto's Brian has made. It's built like a tank, yet is round and supple in the hand.
    I completely want one. He's going to do a few blade styles, and hasn't figured out how to incorporate a clip without looking like an add-on. Yet. When he does it will be intentional.

F&F = A+. BTW: His website name is SharpByDesign.com. LOL! Has a nice ring to it!

Lastly, Rich Poirier is a protege of Wally Hayes. Both from Canada. Look for the skull in the handle!

More soon. PLEASE share your stories of these makers or your own faves.

Coop
    Last edited by SharpByCoop; 11-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Jim Cooper - Capturing the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives. • Makers: Read Post 815 AND Post 891 •

Merci Jim, i love the folder by Philip Booth....the tanto's Joe P. by David M. is also very interesting....
    Use a knife, it's also to share a moment with his creator....

My Pictures on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/NorbertBPhotos

Good stuff here - can't wait for more.

love that Mirabile piece, great photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Berno View Post
    Merci Jim, i love the folder by Philip Booth....the tanto's Joe P. by David M. is also very interesting....
    Norbert regretfully it is not mine

Jim as usual fantastic work

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Tim Britton has been making knives for decades. He's also capable of building a current framelock with quality.

Look at those clip bosses: That's not your ordinary 'Dremel pimping'. How DOES he do that?

If you like looking closely at detail work, then Sal Manaro will make you smile. I really enjoy working with him. This year he brought his entire family to the show.

From Long Island, NY he has elevated his desire to 'flip' level opportunity, if you purchase directly from his lottery.

This was his one 'bid up' knife, and I'm not sure what it went for.

Michael Walker is the KING. Speaking of 'Dress Tacticals': Wouldn't this qualify? This one's a Liner Lock®.

I wish I had a video so you could watch the light roll around those pocket rings. Like a roulette wheel.

More tonight....

Coop

Thanks Coop, awesome images!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Bigfattyt; 11-21-2012 at 09:35 AM.

10. Great images Coop! Thanks for capturing the show, the great knives, and thanks for the kind words. We always enjoy seeing everyone.

In regards to the silent auction for the American Red Cross, you can see a list of donors and donations here... http://www.fiftyfiftyproductions.net...eriorPages=166.
    We surpassed our goal, and raised over $15,200 for Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts. Thanks to all of our knifemakers, exhibitors, and collectors for banding together and donating such quality knives and products, and for making the auction such a big success. We would also like to thank everyone who bid on the auction items. We truly appreciate everyone's generosity and support.
    Last edited by 50/50 Productions; 11-21-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 Productions View Post
    Great images Coop! Thanks for capturing the show, the great knives, and thanks for the kind words. We always enjoy seeing everyone.

In regards to the silent auction for the American Red Cross, you can see a list of donors and donations here... http://www.fiftyfiftyproductions.net...eriorPages=166.
    We surpassed our goal, and raised over $15,200 for Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts. Thanks to all of our knifemakers, exhibitors, and collectors for banding together and donating such quality knives and products, and for making the auction such a big success. We would also like to thank everyone who bid on the auction items. We truly appreciate everyone's generosity and support.
    Thank you Steve for all you do

You add class to the game

Happy Thanksgiving buddy

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

This.^
    Truly, Truly gorgeous knives!!
    Rolf

NIIIIICE!!! Great work by all concerned.

Shifting into artistry...

Jerry McClure opened my studio door for me, as I arrived. He was this ready to get his images done.

You can see why he was excited! (This went right to Jerry Schroeder's table, BTW.) You can see a little Pappy Long protection in the background.

That's a wonderful piece of walrus ivory, he's trimmed out in an art deco theme.

This is Jerry McClure's grandson: Dillon Horton. He's 12 YEARS OLD! He's learning from proud Grandpa!

Jerry griped because Dillon skunked him out of this wonderful piece of walrus ivory. May the best man boy win!

There isn't a finer man on the planet than Andre Thorburn. His styling and pricing were well within range. Nice subtle flipper action.

(I enjoyed a conversation with him, Thuens Prinsloo and Arno Bernard, all from South Africa. They are all great men. I like them a LOT, but don't have their work to show.)

Kevin Lesswing is a maker from NJ and just gets better and better.

Here's a very nicely made and captivating hunter. He lives in an urban environment and this signals his area as much as it looks like stucco, so he tells me. )

I've never met a knife from Kevin Casey that I didn't like. Case in point! (Yes, those colors are real. Crazy.)

I have more. Coming later...

Very enjoyable photos!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    Norbert regretfully it is not mine

Jim as usual fantastic work
    Ha, sorry....
    Use a knife, it's also to share a moment with his creator....

My Pictures on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/NorbertBPhotos

Quote Originally Posted by Berno View Post
    Ha, sorry....
    No reason to be sorry my friend

David is a good friend of mine and I am a big fan of his work, so i show it as often as I can

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Thanks Jim for showing us these cool knives lots of nice stuff I really like the one by Jerry's grandson Dillon Horton. If this is 12 just think what he will be making when he is 15
    ABS journeyman smith
    http://www.davidlisch.com

Thank you Coop for posting those sumptuous images.... great knives great captures!

Let's turn on the History Channel

Each year, longtime collector and NCCA president Art Green brings me something incredibly interesting and worthy of submissions.

A few years ago he brought me this Loveless 'Delaware Maid', then last year he brought me this 'Horseman's Knife', and the sister 'Asprey Sportsman's Knife'.

This year's entries are saddled with relevance in the history of 'custom' knives.

First is a RW Loveless boot knife. This one was specially made for this CIA member. I'll let Art explain it best:
    The Loveless is a Lawndale Ivory boot knife, with the handle having applied paratrooper wings. The front silver one having one star above signifying a combat jump, the back set of wings are gold with two stars depicting two combat jumps. The original owner was Pat H Dailey, a CIA operative that taught Paratrooper training to the Chinese in the 1950's and early 1960's

I took a few photos of the documentation that Art has acquired with this piece:

Our second entrant has a more gruesome, yet gripping tale. This was made around 1958, and it's a sure thing it was created by Bo Randall himself. I was told the cost, and it's WELL into the four figures.

Art's comments:
    The Ary Tendon Cutter is one of three known special purpose knives made by Randall knives around 1958. This knife is the only one known to have a supplied sheath that I believe was made by Jimmy Stockman for Randall.
    He acquired this knife from the collection of the late Rhett Stidham. Below is the correspondence Rhett and Gaddis (?) typed in 1992. I shot and compiled this so you might read it as well.

I loved capturing these and if you want to learn more about historical knives visit Art Green at any NCCA show in the Northeast.

Thanks for viewing.

Coop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information