Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Cut Superstition

Knife Cut Superstition

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am not a superstitious man. But I'm afflicted with a superstition that haunts me. If I get cut by any of my knives.. I'm not talking about a little superficial slice, but a bloody cut, be the EDC or collectable, I never look upon them the same way, and always wind up getting rid of them. They lose their value to me, and beyond that... I almost make a mission of getting rid of them. Good Lord, how absolutely ridiculous that seems! Please assure me I'm not the only one that suffers from that insanity! Oh... and if anyone knows the cure, please! Bestow it upon me!
    Thanks!
    Mick

Lol, I'm the exact opposite. The way I see it, a knife does not become your knife until it has your edge and your blood on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nopyo View Post
    Lol, I'm the exact opposite. The way I see it, a knife does not become your knife until it has your edge and your blood on it.
    Agreed, once it bites you, its yours forever

Varies, usually somewhere on the West coast.
    When I'm focusing intently on cutting something and some dipweed is in my face loudly saying "BE CAREFULL! YOU'RE GONNA CUT YOURSELF!"
    They relentless say this, which destroys my concentration... likely leading to me cutting myself.
    When someone does this now I simply stop until they shut up or leave.
    Superstition? Maybe not. I just know that when I need to focus I had better stay in a focused state of mind.
    I think the only thing I'm superstitious about is red lighters. Whenever something bad happens I always seem to find a red lighter in the vicinity.

AhA! that is as good a cure for this obsession as any I've heard... I suffered from the same thing with motorcycle, cars, etc... If they crash (of course it's not me! hahaha), they're on the selling block.
    But getting a "blood" kiss from one of your knives... that kinda love might cure!
    -Mick

To be fair, I say that because I've never had an ER-worthy cut.

First remembered knife cut was by a younger brother when I was about 9 and he was 7. I was holding an old Christmas tree by the trunk BELOW where he was cutting down - 66 years later and I still have the scar. Every day does have a teachable moment...and we laugh about it..him, more than me..it hurt.

Best.
    Unk

"Remember the men from whom you are sprung"

To be fair, I say that because I've never had an ER-worthy cut.
    BTW.. that is the type of cut I'm talking about.. one that takes stitches or a least a trip for medical attention.

No. The only time I have cut myself is when I do something careless and am not paying attention. It is not the knife's fault.

Never cut myself bad enough that I felt medical attention was justified. I am not new to stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
    No. The only time I have cut myself is when I do something careless and am not paying attention. It is not the knife's fault.

Never cut myself bad enough that I felt medical attention was justified. I am not new to stitches.
    Obviously 22! I've gotten decently far in life with logic... and blaming inanimate objects for anything is absurd! Hence the sickness of this superstition. But I think superstitions are part of the human condition. ... From the replies, to feed my fears..it seems I'm the only one! I guess it's shrink time!

Quote Originally Posted by adlerburg View Post
    BTW.. that is the type of cut I'm talking about.. one that takes stitches or a least a trip for medical attention.
    Yeah, I know what you're saying.

Still, the worst time I've cut myself:
    1st thought: Ahh! <expletives>!
    2nd thought: Huh, this is a clean cut...I am dang proud of the edge I put on it.
    3rd thought: Ok, time to seal it.
    Never thought about getting rid of the knife.

I guess one upside about your superstition is that you can have the chance to play with more different knives

I am not really sure how I feel about it but I didn't really like my Manix2 until. Bored one day playing around I tapped it on its spine on the edge of my boot ; the knife unlocked and cut me on my knuckle pretty good. Now to this day the manix2 is one of my favorites. I guess I feel like a knife is less dangerous once it draws my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by adlerburg View Post
    in all seriousness alot of knife nuts would probably patch up things themselves, ER is only for the really really bad stuff
    at least in my case that was my thinking, had a case sowbelly bite my dumb butt bad a few years ago, yeah i look at that knife like its a vampire but didnt stop me from carrying it, no i will not be scared of you mr. sowbelly
    regards
    gene

I would usually set aside a knife that cut me and not use them. It is not superstition, it could be that the design of the knife does not fit the hand ergonomics. Same with motor vehicles, it could just ergonomics and handling issues sometimes. I never believed that a knife is special once its drawn my blood.

I have had several er worthy cuts. Including a severed nerve in my dominant hand thumb. I still have that knife. I made it my self, and it is not going anywhere.

The thumb still works, but has a horrible nerve jolt every time I touch that spot, and 1/2 of the thumb is still nerve dead. It has been well over 5 years.

I had a slip joint close "just enough" on my fingers once when I was cutting something. It was the only knife I owned at the time, but I probably would have retired it after that... just because. I pay a little more attention with slip joints when I am doing anything other than straight cutting after that accident.

I use those Stanley utility type knives every day I cannot tell you how many times ive whacked a part of my flesh off. Last good one was when I removed the tip of my right pinkey. That was a trip to the plastic surgeons. I think my EDC type knives are safer with longer blades you can get more leverage for cutting.

P.S. Nice looking Dobie. My Thumb-nail pic is my Dobie buttercup giving me that dumb human look.

I've had a few knives cut me very badly to the point where I needed medical attention(sometimes I got it, most times I didn't).
    I have never gotten rid of a knife for that reason though. When I get bit by a knife I don't believe it's bad luck, I believe it's just something that happens with loving knives. Lol. But yes, once a knife bites me, we've been bonded.

It's the only reason that I can't sell my vecp, it gave me a scar for life. I have thought about selling it but for some reason I can't because it cut me.

Same goes for me. As a cook and a edge tool enthusiast most of my knives give me a small love cut in the first few days to let me know exactly how not to handle them. After that, I usually rarely cut myself.

The only stitches I have had are from when I requested a cut to be made and paid for it. I have had plenty of fairly nasty cuts that perhaps could have warranted stitches but super glue works just fine, especially if you keep your tools super sharp.

Alderburg- your superstition sounds like a good way to ensure a constant flow of knives. Not a bad thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information