Thread: Edge guard sheath for an antique/vintage meat cleaver.

Edge guard sheath for an antique/vintage meat cleaver.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi folks.

Just wanted to show off a little sheath/edge guard I made to compliment an antique cleaver that I refinished for a Christmas present. The cleaver is from the Meriden Cutlery company Established in 1834, who went out of business in the 1960s. I did some research and this cleaver is thought to be from the 1930s-40s era. It was in really great shape when I found it on eBay and others were selling for $50+....I snagged this one for $5.00 with $3.00 shipping, I'm thinking because the seller listed it as Meridan Cuttery instead of Meriden Cutlery. With some time and love, I brought it to the state you see it in now. Hopefully for another 70+ years of service.

Leather: 8/9oz veg tan.
    Stitching: Hand stitched with artificial sinew
    Dye: Fiebing's Pro black and Pro mahogany
    Finish: My own combo of Neat's foot oil/beeswax/paraffin
    Hardware: Brass Line 24 snap

I got a little off kelter with the basketweave on the front side because I got ahead of myself and set the snap before I did the stamping. So, when coming around the snap, I had a booger of a time lining things up right. It's not something most people will notice, but it stands out to me like a sore thumb.

I gave the completed package to my friend the other day as an early Christmas present...mainly because if it stayed at my house any longer, I was going to claim it for myself.

That is a neat sheath you made there. Very simple and elegant. I might have to make one similar for my cleaver.
    Becker Head #94

*Formally B.G. Leatherworks.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    Zebra tested and Beckerhead approved.

Thanks! I merely wanted something to protect the edge and not detract from the cleaver like a full pouch would have.

Turned out very nice.

Thread Information