Thread: Saw Test- Bahco Laplander vs.Sven 21" Saw

Saw Test- Bahco Laplander vs.Sven 21" Saw

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey Guys-

Here's a video review/test of a couple of well known saws.

The test was one I really needed to do for me, because I'm doing more backpacking these days and being an old school backpacker, I like to make a camp fire every night, if possible. For the type of terrain and millage I like to do, I find an axe too heavy to bring along, so If I'm going to bring anything more than a knife to process firewood, it's going to be a saw.

One of the saws, the Bahco Laplander, I've been using for years and love it. The other, the Sven Saw 21"er, I've been wanting to try for years and don't have much experience with it.

In the video I talk about the 1/2 pound weight of the Bahco vs. the 1 pound weight of the Sven as a big issue, but it's not really. The bigger issue in terms of pack-ability is the length of the two saws.

On a recent trip, which I posted up in the Wilderness & Survival Skills section, I had the opportunity to use the Sven in the field. For winter camping, I'm totally sold on it.

Thanks for watching.

I have the Sven 15"
    It is great and plenty big enough for what I want to cut
    Neeman

That's cool.

I'm sure it works great.

It probably fits in a day pack too, which the 21" doesn't.
    Last edited by beanbag; 12-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Great test! Efficiency vs Weight/Cost is always a great debate topic. As you mentioned though, everyone has to make their own decision. What have you concluded is best for your use?

For my hiking/backpacking needs (with the intention of using wood/making fire and shelter), i favor a larger saw (in fact, even larger than your 21" Sven - a Bob Dustrude 24" "Quick-Buck-Saw"). I was out today and made a small fire using my saw to buzz through some lodge-pole pine. The longer bladed bow-saws are outstanding for zipping though 4" rounds and very safe as well.

Thanks for the test!

Great video. The amount of cutting power you can get in a half pound is amazing with a saw vs a knife or axe. I appreciate your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Great video. The amount of cutting power you can get in a half pound is amazing with a saw vs a knife or axe. I appreciate your review.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by fmajor007 View Post
    Great test! Efficiency vs Weight/Cost is always a great debate topic. As you mentioned though, everyone has to make their own decision. What have you concluded is best for your use?
    Regarding what's best for my use, I've decided that the Bahco is perfectly adequate for summer camping because there is no need for and roaring or extended fire. It's also nice that it fits right in your back pocket when you're out collecting wood and opens as quick as a folding knife.

For cold weather camping, I'll be using the Sven.

Here is a picture from a recent camping trip showing my friend using the 21"er from my video:

It got very cold after the sun went down, and we were waiting up for a meteor shower so wee needed a lot of wood. Here is a picture of our fire prep. We continued to collect more big pieces with the Sven after this picture was taken:

And just 'cause everyone likes a campfire picture.....

Here is a link to the full trip report:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...2#post11636752

Good review, thanks! For the price and weight, I will probably just carry both and leave the Sven in camp while hunting.

Thanks.

You can't go wrong with either one.

They are both keepers.

Thread Information