Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Gear

Reds Gear

ADVERTISEMENT
    Anyone dealt with them before? I received a Spyderco Junior from Reds Gear and it is a used knife. Not full blown upset as they have not responded with how they will handle it, but putting a used knife in a bubble wrap sleeve (it is in a proper box, just not sealed in a clear plastic bag) and selling it as a new knife is enough to upset me even if they rectify correctly. Just wanted to check on here to see if anyone else has had any issues with them. I will update with how they handle it.

I am sure the condition of the knife will be brought up, so I will describe it. Least of all it is dirty, fingerprints and smudges all over the blade. The jimping is full of dirt. The edge is damaged in two places, the pocket clip is worn and the G10 under the pocket clip is worn. Of course all of this will happen with time, but when I pay the price of a new knife, that is what I expect, not a bubble wrapped used knife being sold as new. The lockup did feel good and no blade play was detected. The blade is not perfectly centered, but honestly the Japanese knives usually come with some minor factory issues in my experience.

Again, they have not responded so I am not getting too upset, but if anyone has some horror stories with Reds I would like to know what I am getting into.

i did business once awhile ago with a reds gear, but through amazon. bought a endura, and some other knife..... cannot remember as it was maybe a year or longer ago? anyways, worked out fine for me. no issues. hope that helps?

Just to clarify, not all spydercos come in a sealed plastic bag. I believe it's only the sage series.

This does not, however, invalidate your other concerns. Let us know how it pans out.
    I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me. - Archilochus
    ****My Trade Thread****
    WTTF/WTB: CRK Folders with Birthdate of May 11th (year irrelavent) or Oct 19th, 2011

I have never had a Spyderco not in a plastic bag. It could be all foreign made Spyderco's I have never owned a Golden Spyderco, just Seki City, Taichung, and one Chinese, so maybe that explains it. Anyway, they did reply just a bit ago and sent me a return label, no fuss, and said they would ship out a replacement right away. Maybe it was a mix-up, but I doubt it, I bet they do that and hope people do not notice. The next one better be brand new.

I've ordered a few knives through Amazon, but they were the vendor.
    I was satisfied with them, I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    I have never had a Spyderco not in a plastic bag. It could be all foreign made Spyderco's I have never owned a Golden Spyderco, just Seki City, Taichung, and one Chinese, so maybe that explains it. Anyway, they did reply just a bit ago and sent me a return label, no fuss, and said they would ship out a replacement right away. Maybe it was a mix-up, but I doubt it, I bet they do that and hope people do not notice. The next one better be brand new.
    glad it worked out. keep us updated on how the process goes, thanks!

I've had several Spyderco's. Some come in open ended plastic bags, some come in sealed plastic bags, some come in bubble wrap, some come in close bubble wrap, etc.
    So I have no doubt that the bubble wrap bag is indeed original.
    However, your other concerns are spot on and I'm sure they'll take care of you.
    I've ordered several knives from them(the latest being a Spyderco Squeak) and have never had an issue at all. All knives arrived new and excellent, with good prices and fast shipping. Though I also ordered through Amazon.The only thing about the Squeak was it had slight side to side play when I got it, but that's not their issue, some Spyderco's just come and need tightened a little. They're really a good dealer. Something probably slipped.
    Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Bought an Endura from them last year. They sent me a Cara Cara 2 instead. Peeved, I emailed them and they responded promptly, said i could keep the Cara cara 2 and sent me the Endura as well. All good in my book.
    Emersonaholic #2783
    Striderholic #2783
    Monkey Nation #166

Update:

So I got the new knife today. I shipped the original back on Thursday, they received it Friday, and shipped the new one out on Monday I believe. Was hoping to get it sooner, as I was told as soon as they saw activity on the tracking number for the rma, they would ship the new one. Seeing as how it was picked up Thursday afternoon, and it didn't ship out until Monday was a little annoying, but oh well. The new knife did appear to be new. It had some finger smudges on it, but otherwise was perfect. This one also came in an open bubble wrap sleeve. I checked out my Spyderco boxes and it seems the Taiwan knives come in clear plastic sleeves, and the Japanese have bubble wrap sleeves, so good call Bladechick. I am glad they took care of me, but probably will still stay clear of them. I was interested in how I was shipped a used knife, and explained that just having a problem is not a deal breaker, but making it right will keep me as a customer. I got a simple "someone else returned the knife as new" and that was it. Not a great answer to me, I am sure they inspect them when they come back, and if not should. I would not be surprised if some one else gets that knife until someone says oh well and keeps it.

BUYER BEWARE!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER! Avoid this seller at all costs! If Reds Gear is the cheapest price listed, you’re going to avoid a major headache and potential problems if you buy from someone else, the price difference will be worth it in the long run – TRUST ME. Their customer service is both non-existent and useless. Once they have your money, good luck trying to get it back from them without a 10% charge on the original purchase price, even when the original problem was Red Gear’s fault.

Quote Originally Posted by speco1 View Post
    BUYER BEWARE!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER! Avoid this seller at all costs! If Reds Gear is the cheapest price listed, you’re going to avoid a major headache and potential problems if you buy from someone else, the price difference will be worth it in the long run – TRUST ME. Their customer service is both non-existent and useless. Once they have your money, good luck trying to get it back from them without a 10% charge on the original purchase price, even when the original problem was Red Gear’s fault.
    I'm sorryabout your situation But for me personally I've had nothing but good luck with reds over 25 purchases
    Including holsters knives lights never a problem
    ☆☆#110 in RyanW,s GAW☆☆
    ​Beckerhead # 455

Like Truth-Seeker, I have also used Reds Gear through Amazon on many occasions with only one issue (a torn and damaged knife box - I keep mine) that they fixed immediately. I can't say anything bad about them. Perhaps you should consider telling us about your issue rather than speaking in generalities....

@nccole
    Glad things worked out for you.

BCCI Member, SpyderNation #0111, Proud Supporter of JK knives #111, and member of Knife Rights.
    #111 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

I bought a chokwe from them, but recieved a p'kal or k'pal or what ever it is called. They were super quick in taking care of the problem, and actually sent me the chokwe and a waved delica for my time. The are good to go in my book. BTW the chokwe was on sale for 70.00. You cant beat that with a stick.

the spydie junior comes in a one side opened (with a non sealing fold) bubble wrap bag. or at least mine did and it's legit. peace

I've ordered from Reds Gear on six separate occasions between April 2013 and January 2014. Not a single issue.
    • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
    • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln

I made two separate knife purchases through Amazon where Reds Gear was the vendor in 2013. Both knives were brand new. I had no problems at all.
    Speco1, you said "TRUST ME". Why should we trust you?

I trust him in that He personally may have had a bad experience with them But seems Most people have been very satisfied with reds gear. And if he explained his problem instead of just saying they're bad trust me,,,,would have been more helpful, after all only the 2nd post he's made in a year and its just to run dawn a company but with little explanation as to his problem with said company.
    ☆☆#110 in RyanW,s GAW☆☆
    ​Beckerhead # 455

Quote Originally Posted by truth-seeker View Post
    I trust him in that He personally may have had a bad experience with them But seems Most people have been very satisfied with reds gear. [B]And if he explained his problem instead of just saying they're bad trust me,,,,would have been more helpful, after all only the 2nd post he's made in a year and its just to run dawn a company but with little explanation as to his problem with said company.
    Exactly.

I have bought a few knives from them over the past few years via Amazon.

All of them have been good with the exception of the last one.

It was a Cold Steel Warcraft Tanto that wasn't packed right, but it did arrive undamaged regardless.

It had been put into the box at a diagonal/wedged across without any packing material to cushion it.

I bought a Utilitac II from Red's (via Amazon) two months ago. No problems at all with the packaging or the product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information