Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calling all spyderco laci szabo folder owners... just did a mod i highly recommend ;)

Blog Entries

ADVERTISEMENT
    Now you need to send it to me for a wave mod.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the knives I cannot buy, the budget to buy ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/CMFTWknives
    Support Your Local Outlaw Knifemaker!

what do you charge charlie

if i did send it to you i would want it to look like this

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Mike View Post
    Now you need to send it to me for a wave mod.
    haha ive dremeled myself a wave on a stretch before... waves arent my thing honestly, they wear pockets fast and i got tired of buying pants

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentJohn View Post
    what do you charge charlie

if i did send it to you i would want it to look like this

$25 including return shipping.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the knives I cannot buy, the budget to buy ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/CMFTWknives
    Support Your Local Outlaw Knifemaker!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiofspam View Post
    nutsforknives? his vid is what originally inspired me to break mines down and do the mod. i carried mines for a week straight and spent countless hours opening and closing it with it only slightly improving in operation. if you understand how a spring works and how one becomes relaxed (dependent on its chemical makeup ofcourse)... it can take an extremely looooooooooong time. maybe he received a shorter or more relaxed spring from factory? i dont know... but i was not able to achieve the same results as him lol, ymmv.

the szabo is also not a knife i would consider carrying on a daily basis do to its shear size and looks. occasional carry is ok and with that being said i wouldnt have been able to devote enough reasonable pocket time for break in.

the mod definitely isnt for everyone, but if you share the same sentiments about this knife as i do then maybe this mod is for you

I made the video in question. When I first got my szabo it was incredibly tight, borderline unusable. I first tried loosening the pivot, but that didn't help so I took it apart to see if there was anything I could do about the stiff action. After taking it apart it was obvious it was the spring that was the culprit, and that there wasn't much that could be done.

I put it back together, which was difficult, and it was slightly better. I then proceeded to open and close it many times. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made the action easier, but there's no doubt it is easier to open and close now. Maybe the way the spring was seated was somehow affected when I took it apart and put it back together?? Maybe the spring was over-stressed as I was putting it back together?

I was under the impression that it simply broke in. Maybe I was mistaken.
    "A revolution is an idea which has found its bayonets"

Quote Originally Posted by eloreno View Post
    I made the video in question. When I first got my szabo it was incredibly tight, borderline unusable. I first tried loosening the pivot, but that didn't help so I took it apart to see if there was anything I could do about the stiff action. After taking it apart it was obvious it was the spring that was the culprit, and that there wasn't much that could be done.

I put it back together, which was difficult, and it was slightly better. I then proceeded to open and close it many times. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made the action easier, but there's no doubt it is easier to open and close now. Maybe the way the spring was seated was somehow affected when I took it apart and put it back together?? Maybe the spring was over-stressed as I was putting it back together?

I was under the impression that it simply broke in. Maybe I was mistaken.
    its possible... who knows lol. maybe you got a more relaxed spring than others too

heres an update of my szabo and the different methods i can now deploy the blade after the mod.
    due to the nature of the spring detent system, the blade does not drop freely as would on a regular conventional compression lock once depressed.

Good job.

I for one like strong detents due to his majesty's Bloomburg's disapproval of easily opened folders within the gates of this great Gotham City.

But as long as one understands what they are doing why not.

If it was a problem for me (I do not own this type of knife by the way) I would also open that thing up and fix it to my liking.

Screw the warrenty, screw the stupid lawyers and bean counters, if you live in a free state. Fixing something to your liking shouldn't be a crime although there are some safety sallys who would tell you how foolish your as well as how morally wrong you are to do so.

Don't pay no mind now. You haven't seen anything yet. If you want to experience safety sally's wet dream come fully realized and true just pass into the gates of this great Gotham City that I live in where your mod would actually contitute a criminal act as well as actual possesion of your knife in it's orginal crammomatic configuration is also a crime.

I tip my hat you for being openminded and creative. I hope you are not a dying breed.

Wow. I mean really?im sorry but you made a stupid decision and didn't think completely ?i have the szabo too, stiff out of the box just like yours,except instead of modding mine to get thes tiffness away i bought some Benchmade blue lube. It makes it slide like butter i can flick it withm y thumb wrist index finger and reverse grip slide so smooth and feel so amazing. I really recommend buying that.benchmade also have a cleaner too havemt tried it yet.but yea next time instead of messing with yours knives do stifness just lube it up with that and yall see

I just zip waved mine . used black wax rope for the sharp edge of the hole that also reenforces the zip so it doesn't wear out in a month

http://gifsoup.com/view/4919551/spyd...ave-knife.html

http://gifsoup.com/view/4919557/szab...g-reverse.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information