Thread: Lansky white vs. blue stone comparison

Lansky white vs. blue stone comparison

ADVERTISEMENT
    I know there are better and way more expensive fixed angle sharpening systems out there, but the Lansky has served me well for many years. I have used the white stone for finishing until they recently came out with the blue "super sapphire" which is supposed to be even finer grit ( 1000 vs 2000, I think). I assume it's due to years of "polishing" through use, but the white seems to do a better job than the new blue at his point. If so, I assume the blue will "wear in " also.

I have been wondernig the same thing. Right now I have the diamond set (Course, Medium, Fine) and they have great for me. I was recently searching to try to find this answer and I read somewhere (cant remember where) that the blue saphire hone wasnt very quality. Some of the reviews I have read say that the surface is wavy and not flat. I seem to remember reading that the ultra fine (white) hone was 2000 grit and the super saphire (blue) is 2200? I could be wrong though, this is just what I remember reading. I would also be interested in hearing the comparison between the two.

The spec'd 'grit' of the Lansky ceramic hones (Fine/UF/Sapphire) is hard, if not impossible, to specify. The product numbers of each of them might be a hint, however (Fine = 'LSS0600', UltraFine = 'LSS1000', Super Sapphire = 'LSS2000'). The 'grit' numbers are really only meaningful when comparing them to each other, instead of trying to compare with other brands or other abrasive types.

I haven't used the Sapphire hone, but have been happy with the Fine/UF hones in the Lansky kit. The 'Fine' 600 hone (red/purple stone in dark blue holder) will begin to produce a hazy polish, and the 'Ultra-Fine' 1000 (white stone in yellow holder) will take it to a mirror, or very nearly so. More easily done when used with water. I've since also lapped my white 1000 hone with a diamond hone to flatten it, and it performs to a 'finer' degree than before, though I've no idea how that would compare to the Sapphire. Either way, I've never really felt the need to get the Sapphire.

David
    Last edited by Obsessed with Edges; 01-12-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Mis-labelled the Ultra-Fine 1000 as a 'Fine'...

Obsessed,
    I agree, as I don't think there's any value added. When I follow white with sapphire, my perception is the edge is less refined. I'll use it for finishing broadheads and other soft metals. With use it may actually do a better job than the white, but not new. Disclaimer: my test of sharpness is what it has always been, a thumb tip dragged across the edge at right angles,(admittedly a difficult device to calibrate, but after 50 years astonishingly consistent!)

Thread Information