Thread: Otter Messer Knife

Otter Messer Knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    So I think I've fallen for the Otter Messer "Anchor" knife, and really want to order one.I mean, high carbon steel, wharncliffe blade, nice looking scales, what's not to like? So, before I do, does anyone have this knife? Ever EDC it? How does it patina? How is it as far as QC goes? I'm just making sure my money is well spent.
    Last edited by colekmiller11; 01-20-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Have you tried doing a search on the Ankermesser?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Have you tried doing a search on the Ankermesser?
    Yes. I found one post here, but am looking for more peoples opinions. On videos, it's mostly guys speaking in German. I'm looking to find input on this knife as an EDC, not just general info.

Quote Originally Posted by colekmiller11 View Post
    Yes. I found one post here, but am looking for more peoples opinions. On videos, it's mostly guys speaking in German. I'm looking to find input on this knife as an EDC, not just general info.
    Have you seen this thread - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...er+ankermesser - Humppa is a regular poster here, and I'm sure will be glad to answer any questions that haven't been answered already.

I have an Otter Webermesser, and have been very pleased with it. Great steel, good fit & finish, half-stop, a very nice working knife. I also like the look of the Ankermesser.

I keep a used one in my desk drawer. It was used when I got it, so hard to say exactly how old, but there's not much of a patina. Quality is excellent - very sturdy build, stiff springs, no wobble or gaps or other obvious flaws. Steel seems fine, on par with original Old Timer carbon steel blades.

My main gripe, I find the sheepfoot/wharncliffe blade useless most of the time - no belly and no tip.

As Jack already mentioned - I´m a big fan of the Ankermesser (Anchor Knife). I´ve used it for some time as an EDC.

I´ve had several during the years. Some with carbon steel blades some with stainless steel blades.

If you´re interessted in the carbon version, I can tell you this. The used carbon steel is C75. It holds the edge pretty nice and sharpens very very easily. THe patina it gets is fine and comes up pretty fast. But you need to very careful. Somehow the steel tends for rust pitting if not wiped dry after use! But if you use it as you should, it will be a compagion for a long time.

About QC: The stainless versions seem always to be a littler better finished than their carbon steel brothers. But they are still great knives, imo. The finishing is not as fine as on Case or even GEC, sometimes a little rough. And a non-centered blade is not unusual on them.

But when you look at the steel liners, and the steel bolsters, there´s no doubt about a real working horse in every way.

Otter do a great job on their knives, if you ask me. For sure, there are others which are finishing finer. But for the price (in Germany) you can hardly get a better Solingen made knife!

EDIT: For their stainless versions they use 4034 steel. Which also takes a great edge and keeps it pretty long. So I think their HT is quiet good!

Just my 2 Cent.
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Going to order one soon

I've got an Ankermesser that I carry and use quite a bit (everyone's probably sick of seeing mine by now). It's a great knife. Well built, good steel, and just kinda neat to look at & hold. Can't recommend it enough, especially for the price.
    I only wish there was a larger version available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

Alex, there are three different sizes available... here in Germany at least...
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.

Really? Interesting.... I've never seen the other sizes of Ankermesser. Good to know! Thanks.
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

They are available in 85mm blade length, 75mm blade length just right now on their german cutlery-HP. I´ve already seen even a bigger one (as far as I can remember).
    Maybe one of the two versions are not sold in the US. I don´t know.

Thread Information