Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 172

Thread: Cody Lundin Knife?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,251

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by tknife View Post
    …sadly most people nowadays don't have that opportunity…
    They have the time AND the opportunity. The problem is, they park in front of the TV set for hours on end...THEN they complain about their "lack of opportunity". Opportunity is always there: It's usually disguised as work.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
    You know what they say about a fool and his money....

    Ironic that the same skills can be learned by purchasing a $5 book and sitting in your backyard, isn't it? Yet he pockets $4,740 to 'teach' twelve people how to make a fire? PT Barnum was right.
    Supply and Demand. Something tells me he enjoyed teaching back when he made a lot less. It doesn't bother me that he now makes a lot... i wouldn't pay it... but doesn't bother me that others do. To some that is not much $$. Its all reletive. I also won't judge him for the fact that he doesn't like to wear shoes or long pants. It annoys me when others judge me because i like to carry a good size fixed blade. A lot of people think that makes me crazy but I don't care.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,573
    So, back to our original program....

    I think it's great he's not hucking his own "glamor/boutique" knife.

    While i'm not trying to speak for him or defend him in any way, I think his knife choice is part of his minimalist ethos which is also saying you don't need to spend $x,xxx.xx for a fancy, "bushcraft artwork" knife and (BTW) wait a freakin' YEAR for it. A simple $15 Mora seems to work just fine for what he is espousing. We could learn a lot from that ideology alone (buy just what you need and not what you *want* - though there's not too much fun in that..).

    I don't care that he doesn't wear shoes (though i don't agree with it either, it's his life and not mine - it really is that simple) or that he predominantly wears shorts. If what he *is* teaching are skills that are tried and true for surviving a bad situation and he is excellent in his ability to present, teach and instill them i'm not too worried about some of the other things that seem superfluous.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the river bank watching the Turkey vultures glide
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Claw Chris Lappe View Post
    In mostly desert environments. I notice in some of the tropical and swamp episodes, his feet were getting cut and bleeding.
    The Indians around here never went bare foot in any season, and I always thought that he had some type of native emulation going on. Even if they went barefoot in his region, humans have been breaking bottles everywhere for the last 100 years. As these things are pointed out to me over time I find myself getting disillusioned over the whole survival TV genre.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jerzee, ya devilz
    Posts
    84,963
    Blog Entries
    10
    Any time you get disillusioned over the depredations and plain old trash and broken glass tossed around by pathetic humans,
    remember how Mother Gaia lovingly provides us with jaguars and piranhas, polar bears and wolves, blizzards and tsunamis.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor007 View Post
    So, back to our original program....

    I think it's great he's not hucking his own "glamor/boutique" knife.

    While i'm not trying to speak for him or defend him in any way, I think his knife choice is part of his minimalist ethos which is also saying you don't need to spend $x,xxx.xx for a fancy, "bushcraft artwork" knife and (BTW) wait a freakin' YEAR for it. A simple $15 Mora seems to work just fine for what he is espousing. We could learn a lot from that ideology alone (buy just what you need and not what you *want* - though there's not too much fun in that..).

    I don't care that he doesn't wear shoes (though i don't agree with it either, it's his life and not mine - it really is that simple) or that he predominantly wears shorts. If what he *is* teaching are skills that are tried and true for surviving a bad situation and he is excellent in his ability to present, teach and instill them i'm not too worried about some of the other things that seem superfluous.
    Well put.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND, USA
    Posts
    763
    Rather than continuing to hijack this thread, I started a new topic!

    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...5#post11852165

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NW Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
    He pockets $4,740 for a 24 hour course for twelve people. $395 to spend the night outside sitting by a campfire...pomposity indeed.
    I chalk this up to supply and demand. And why not. If people are going to pay more for a service you already offer then go for it. I personally have considered taking his class and still might when I get the cash. Like his co-star Joe said, "he has the nuance down" and from what I've heard that's spot on. He is like Ron Hood in that he has a more all-encompassing knowledge of survival then most. Most people teach survival skills, he can teach you the physics and biology of what is going on. But that's cool if you don't like him. You can't be liked by everyone.

  9. #49
    Anyway... back on topic. The knife that Cody is carrying starting from season 3 episode 8 on is not made by a big knife company. It's made by a custom knife maker in Oregon named Ron Macy. He is a personal friend of Cody

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina foothills
    Posts
    651
    I respect the guy. If someone wants to go barefoot then no skin off my foot. I did see him make some sandals from a dead cow once. I think he also wore socks on another episode in deep snow. He's determined but not to a fault.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    9,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah14 View Post
    Anyway... back on topic. The knife that Cody is carrying starting from season 3 episode 8 on is not made by a big knife company. It's made by a custom knife maker in Oregon named Ron Macy. He is a personal friend of Cody
    Interesting. I thought he had a Kellam or another Scandi knife this season. But I'd be interested in more on Ron Macy if you happen to have any more info.
    /Users/tnc4evr/Desktop/thumbnail.aspx.jpg

  12. #52
    Ron Macy has a certificate of mastery in the art of japanese sword making.

    http://dragonflyforge.com/2008/12/11...te-of-mastery/

    He doesn't have a web site currently, but you can find out more about him at

    http://www.swordforum.com

  13. #53
    You can also contact Ron by mail at P.O. Box 45, Umpqua, OR 97486
    He's a little technologically impaired, so computers are not his thing

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,944
    I like Cody. I Like Moras.. Like almost everything about both of them.. The guy is a whiz with anything combustion related. If I had time and disposable funds I would be happy to take a class at his facility.
    As far as the whole barefoot thing goes.. Honestly I tried it on my outings last year.. My feet got dinged up. and tender.. (tenderfoot I guess) but there where some advantages.. I had very little concern about getting my feet wet for one which made it easier to wade through water, digging for cattails or crayfish.etc . it also forced me to slow down and pay more attention to where I put my feet. the world's a different place when you slow down. I noticed way more sign.. Tracks, scat, bit;s of fur or feather. shedded snake skins..out of place stones... also noticed more useful plants. flint,, etc...
    However... unless you can do it consistently which people with jobs and lives in and urban community can;t than your feet will never get desensitized enough to make a real go of it. Also if you are in True wilderness it seems "safer" (if that's possible) to be barefoot than it is to be in areas I frequent.. Most area I go is either park land or reclaimed farm land... which is littered with traces of broken glass rusty shards of metal... and the occasional syringe. So while I can see the potential advantages for being barefoot.. For me it is a risk vs. benefit thing.. and for me the risks outweigh the benefits.
    As far as knives go most anyone who knows me knows I keep it cheap and functional..a mora.. has been my fixed blade choice for years... Occasionally swapped out for an Opinel. or a Sak. I too have noticed that this season, he has been carrying a full tang scandi fixed blade of sorts.. and in season 2 He was carrying a kellam of some sort. However beyond noticing, I didn;t think much about it. Reading this I realize that this probably has nothing to do with the actual OP.. sorry but any any rate here are the rambling thoughts of a madman.. Thanks for reading.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    9,818
    Some great points RR. And I am with you on the Mora's as well. I have owned all matter of knives from high end tactical "choppers", customs, and everything else and I still marvel at the price to usefulness ratio of the Mora.
    /Users/tnc4evr/Desktop/thumbnail.aspx.jpg

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Geneva, IL.
    Posts
    11,647
    Quote Originally Posted by RescueRiley View Post
    ...Reading this I realize that this probably has nothing to do with the actual OP.. sorry but any any rate here are the rambling thoughts of a madman.. Thanks for reading.
    Not a madman at all. I'm right there with ya. I do the barefoot thing when I'm out at the lake and either my feet can take a little more abuse than most or everyone I know is a tenderfoot as well. It does slow you down but that isn't a bad thing.

    I enjoy your posts RR. Keep at it.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Washington, baby!
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
    I'm not a real fan of Cody Lundin for two reasons: his insisting to wear shorts and go barefoot. The only reason the primitive tribes go barefoot is because they didn't have the technology & materials to make good boots... IMHO.

    I do like his bushcraft skills. That's why I was wondering what knife he used.
    WOuld yo rather the Joe Teti, I'm a ubersoldier bad boy that takes unnecessary risks style? Cody pulls no punches that what he does isn't the answer for 99.9% of people, but it allows him to acclimate to his environment and to better feel and know where he walks. The guy has yet to have a case of frostbite in the worst casre scenarios, whil Joe whined continually how cold he was with a full outfit. You may not like him, and that's cool. But what he does works for him. Facts are facts.

    With regards to the knife thing, I respect that he hasn't whored himself out for a multi hundred dollar knife with his name on it. Obviously, he's not making a huge amount on his Moras. And if you don't want to buy his logo'd knife, you can buy the regular version too and not have to pay for the Lundin name. Ask Dave Canterbury, Joe Teti, Bear Grylls, and to a lesser extent (he put his name on gear, but used regular gear in his series) how much they make if you just HAVE to have their knives.
    Last edited by jimh0220; 03-15-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Beckerhead #38
    Never Forget

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,950
    I would say give it time with the knife thing. Cody may eventually capitalize on his fame and partner up with a knife maker or company; most likely it would be very similar to the Mora…if I was a betting man…

    As to Cody’s lifestyle, you have to give him credit that he does live it that way. My wife and I would rather spend the money on a course from him than a Carnival Cruise (although lately, those cruises have turned into survival vacations).

    There is merit to the “barefoot” gimmick. I don’t go barefoot too much, but I have been running in “barefoot” shoes (Merrell’s), even hiking in similar types and now I’ve been able to wear minimalist boots for work (Army). There is a remarkable shift in natural movement when walking on the mid/forefoot to the ball of your foot. When running, your ankles strength improves and the impact to your joints is absorbed by the calf and quad muscles; no more knee pain. The other benefit as mentioned is it forces you to slow down and pay attention to your foot placement; slow is relative as I’m actually able to go further and faster when backpacking.

    I just can’t get myself to go fully barefoot, but I can appreciate the mindset behind it. Your posture when walking “barefoot” has proven itself to me though and I have appreciated the benefits.

    As to Joe Teti, he is what he is. I don’t endorse some of those “techniques”, but I think you have to understand the mentality, much like Cody Lundin’s mentality.

    I’ve been around the “Teti” types. These guys are type-A, adrenaline junkies who see everything as a mission and focus on accomplishment. Most know how to “survive”, but many wouldn’t approve of their methods…it’s about being fast and effective. Sure, television accentuates these traits and makes it more “in your face” for the reality shock, but a lot of that is personality driven by years of being in the company and environment necessary for what they do. For most producers, these guys are made for TV reality, not necessarily our reality.

    Again, it’s entertainment with a few gold-nuggets thrown in for discussion.

    ROCK6
    Last edited by ROCK6; 03-18-2013 at 05:01 AM.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,987
    Quote Originally Posted by RescueRiley View Post
    I like Cody. I Like Moras.. Like almost everything about both of them.. The guy is a whiz with anything combustion related. If I had time and disposable funds I would be happy to take a class at his facility.
    As far as the whole barefoot thing goes.. Honestly I tried it on my outings last year.. My feet got dinged up. and tender.. (tenderfoot I guess) but there where some advantages.. I had very little concern about getting my feet wet for one which made it easier to wade through water, digging for cattails or crayfish.etc . it also forced me to slow down and pay more attention to where I put my feet. the world's a different place when you slow down. I noticed way more sign.. Tracks, scat, bit;s of fur or feather. shedded snake skins..out of place stones... also noticed more useful plants. flint,, etc...
    However... unless you can do it consistently which people with jobs and lives in and urban community can;t than your feet will never get desensitized enough to make a real go of it. Also if you are in True wilderness it seems "safer" (if that's possible) to be barefoot than it is to be in areas I frequent.. Most area I go is either park land or reclaimed farm land... which is littered with traces of broken glass rusty shards of metal... and the occasional syringe. So while I can see the potential advantages for being barefoot.. For me it is a risk vs. benefit thing.. and for me the risks outweigh the benefits.
    As far as knives go most anyone who knows me knows I keep it cheap and functional..a mora.. has been my fixed blade choice for years... Occasionally swapped out for an Opinel. or a Sak. I too have noticed that this season, he has been carrying a full tang scandi fixed blade of sorts.. and in season 2 He was carrying a kellam of some sort. However beyond noticing, I didn;t think much about it. Reading this I realize that this probably has nothing to do with the actual OP.. sorry but any any rate here are the rambling thoughts of a madman.. Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupestris View Post
    Not a madman at all. I'm right there with ya. I do the barefoot thing when I'm out at the lake and either my feet can take a little more abuse than most or everyone I know is a tenderfoot as well. It does slow you down but that isn't a bad thing.

    I enjoy your posts RR. Keep at it.
    if you're really into it, there are plenty of urban alternatives to being barefoot. check out minimalist shoes. most of them are for running, but there are few casual and formal choices out there. I started going that way and can't imagine going back. my feet (and I stress my feet) are much happier like this.

    but what can I say, there are stubborn naysayers to everything. everybody's got different bodies, and that becomes really apparent when it comes to things like health, fitness, diet, etc., but of course it's hard for people to see that without being able to step inside someone else's body for a decade.

    even if you don't buy into being barefoot, you absolutely can't deny the problems regular shoes cause our feet in the name of style, with their narrow toe-crushing toe boxes and all. it's partial Chinese foot binding is what it is.
    - Gary

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by uyotg View Post
    if you're really into it, there are plenty of urban alternatives to being barefoot. check out minimalist shoes. most of them are for running, but there are few casual and formal choices out there. I started going that way and can't imagine going back. my feet (and I stress my feet) are much happier like this.

    but what can I say, there are stubborn naysayers to everything. everybody's got different bodies, and that becomes really apparent when it comes to things like health, fitness, diet, etc., but of course it's hard for people to see that without being able to step inside someone else's body for a decade.

    even if you don't buy into being barefoot, you absolutely can't deny the problems regular shoes cause our feet in the name of style, with their narrow toe-crushing toe boxes and all. it's partial Chinese foot binding is what it is.
    For the record, i have been using Vibram five-fingers for years, and i can run for miles with a 50 pound ruck with them on. For something like carrying an 80 pound ruck I would want good boots.

    I'm a big fan of Cody's, I watch the show almost entirely for him.

    People often mistake being an operator for being a skilled survival instructor, this is not the case. Q course is not going to make you a master of wilderness survival, its going to make you so intimately familiar with small unit military tactics, that you are going to be able to teach them to illiterate imbeciles in a third world country and have them be somewhat proficient at them. Whereas Teti has spent his lifetime becoming a SOF operator and training for years to be a good one, Lundin has put that same amount of time into learning to survive in a multitude of harsh environments. This is why Lundin is almost always tasked with fire-making.

    When you want to learn something you seek out the subject matter expert. If i was going to stack on a wall in Fallujah during the invasion (or just crack a beer), I would want to be with Teti, if I needed to survive in some shit-hole place for an extended period of time without prior planning or equipment, I would want to be with Lundin.

    I know I am a bit off topic, but with all of the people who try to ass themselves off as experts that clearly aren't there are alot of worse people to direct this dislike at?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •