Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cody Lundin Knife?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Gotta chime in here... Cody has been teaching survival for a long time, much longer than the three seasons of this show. He's been barefoot and wearing shorts since before he wrote his first book. It's not a gimmick. He did it before we were watching. Like anything else, if you don't like it, don't do it. Bashing him for turning his passion into a good paying profession? Isn't that the American dream? If people are willing to pay,then he's not asking too much. $400 for two days with a well known, highly regarded, experienced practitioner of ANYTHING, be it personal trainer, dietitian, architect, lawyer, whatever, is that much or more.
    Saying his course is a DIY around the campfire is like saying a driving course with a NASCAR driver is bumper cars at the fair. Or Jiu Jitsu with a Gracie is just hugging men on the mats.
    You think Lars Falt or Ray Mears put on courses for less?

I love that his go to knife is a Mora, but I know that if he starts endorsing a higher end blade, it'll be based on function.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not even that big a fan of the show, but bashing a guy like Lundin, or anyone who is doing what he loves and isn't hurting anyone, really gets under may skin.

Word.

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough emotional investment in any of the current "survival gurus" to let anyone's opinion of them, pro or con, get under my skin. I do get a kick out of seeing people twist and twirl in trying to defend them from detractors though.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
    I would say give it time with the knife thing. Cody may eventually capitalize on his fame and partner up with a knife maker or company; most likely it would be very similar to the Mora…if I was a betting man…

As to Cody’s lifestyle, you have to give him credit that he does live it that way. My wife and I would rather spend the money on a course from him than a Carnival Cruise (although lately, those cruises have turned into survival vacations).

ROCK6
    *LOL* Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Codger_64 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't have enough emotional investment in any of the current "survival gurus" to let anyone's opinion of them, pro or con, get under my skin. I do get a kick out of seeing people twist and twirl in trying to defend them from detractors though.
    Touché. Guess that's part of the freedom of Internet forums. A feller can be as contrary as he likes, and instigate, just for kicks. One of the things I love about this forum is that there are still plenty of folks who really think about their posts before they make them.
    I do sometimes have to remind myself that some forum members with many, many posts on a given forum have a lot of experience. At typing.

It is probably just a matter of time before Mr. Lundin collaborates with a knife company, or officially endorses an existing model. I just hope he stays true to form and goes with a company like Mora, and keeps the real world quality, high value mantra he's applied to knives all along. Not too many fans would think of him as a sellout if he slapped his name on the Mora Bushcraft Survival model...

That said, I really admire the way Mors Kochanski approaches the subject. He assisted in the design of the SBT, but only touts it as a good knife, and doesn't actually endorse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Craig View Post
    That said, I really admire the way Mors Kochanski approaches the subject. He assisted in the design of the SBT, but only touts it as a good knife, and doesn't actually endorse it.
    Agreed. Probably because Mors doesn't seem to have the ego, nor the drive to "cash in" that most of these other guys do.

I don't really care how amazing a knife is - a "survival celebrity's" name on it would be a deal killer for me. I don't need my knives to be endorsed to convince me of whether it's a quality, useful knife or not, any more than I need Bob Vila to recommend a hammer for me.

Touché. Guess that's part of the freedom of Internet forums. A feller can be as contrary as he likes, and instigate, just for kicks. One of the things I love about this forum is that there are still plenty of folks who really think about their posts before they make them.
    I do sometimes have to remind myself that some forum members with many, many posts on a given forum have a lot of experience. At typing.

It is probably just a matter of time before Mr. Lundin collaborates with a knife company, or officially endorses an existing model. I just hope he stays true to form and goes with a company like Mora, and keeps the real world quality, high value mantra he's applied to knives all along. Not too many fans would think of him as a sellout if he slapped his name on the Mora Bushcraft Survival model...

Ouch! You got me pegged I suppose. I've sat here at my computer for the past sixty years typing.

Huh, just re-read that. Sorry C64, it sounded cheeky & light in my noggin, but came off a bit dick-like in my post. NOT my intention... Just making a jab in fun, young feller.

VIVA LA LUNDIN!!

Huh, just re-read that. Sorry C64, it sounded cheeky & light in my noggin, but came off a bit dick-like in my post. NOT my intention... Just making a jab in fun, young feller.

VIVA LA LUNDIN!!
    Aw, no harm Jim. You saw the grinnie, right?

Viva el loco Bush Hippie!

I have a mora #1 and it is an amazing knife for the money. Come razor sharp. Razor sharp. For 15 bucks on amazon you cant beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmasters View Post
    I have a mora #1 and it is an amazing knife for the money. Come razor sharp. Razor sharp. For 15 bucks on amazon you cant beat it.
    I have the same one, honestly I use it for everything and the things amazing. Never used it to process wood though, but its very sharp and easy to handle for finesse stuff. I also stuck it in an orange to put a patina on it that sort of mimics Damascus steel.

I was never a Mora fan and I always wondered why Cody L kept beating (ahh... batonning) his Mora through wood, even small stuff. Then I used one a bit. I understand now. I think he'd be far better off with a BK-16 or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
    I was never a Mora fan and I always wondered why Cody L kept beating (ahh... batonning) his Mora through wood, even small stuff. Then I used one a bit. I understand now. I think he'd be far better off with a BK-16 or something similar.
    His whole thing is minimalist philosophy towards being self reliant. A mora is a very good knife and it's only 15 bucks. I haven't watched the show since Dave was replaced and have only seen bits and pieces, but he's it a new knife. His site store sells Moras. For what Cody teaches you don't really need a knife, and you don't need anything besides a mora. He's all about using primitive skills and what the earth give you. So the mora just fits into his style. Anyone who has ever used a mora will tell you how good they are and how reliable they are. I love mine, and you really can't beat the price, dollar for dollar the Mora is hands down the best you can get.

Obviously this is a knife forum and we all love knives of all shapes and sizes, some are huge and some are small. It's all personal preference what you like an what you carry, but you can definatly use a Mora for just about every survival or bushcraft skill there is. I find myself using my knife or making up tasks to use it when I really don't need to, Cody is a survival expert who really doesn't even need a knife because he's been self reliant in a desert for over 20 years.

That all being said, any of us would definatly be better off with a BK15 than a Mora. And Cody is using a new knife that a friend of his made for him from what I've read. When you're batoning you want something full tang and thick like a BK, if you're talking about a scenario where you can't just order a new knife and you don't know when help is coming, you don't want your knife to break. But how many of us will ever be in that scenario?

Cody is awesome. He really is a fire master.

As for the price of his course... well supply and demand my friends. Don't try to tell me you'd undersell yourself just for the sake of receiving praise on an internet forum.

I agree on avoiding anything assoicated with him. Lost interest in the show because of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Codger_64 View Post
    Or people who detract from them who have no proven resume as some of these 'survival guru's' have.

People like Ray Mears deserve respect, mostly because they have likely forgotten more dirt time than most of us would remember.

No umbrage - but I think that sword cuts both ways.

TF

Quote Originally Posted by RescueRiley View Post
    As far as the whole barefoot thing goes.. Honestly I tried it on my outings last year.. My feet got dinged up. and tender.. (tenderfoot I guess) but there where some advantages.. I had very little concern about getting my feet wet for one which made it easier to wade through water, digging for cattails or crayfish.etc . it also forced me to slow down and pay more attention to where I put my feet. the world's a different place when you slow down. I noticed way more sign.. Tracks, scat, bit;s of fur or feather. shedded snake skins..out of place stones... also noticed more useful plants. flint,, etc...
    ULers say all the time that they go lighter so they can go faster, longer, and see more. I call BS on that. Sure, you'll get to more view points but you will see LESS on the way to the viewpoints. By going slow you can actually look up from the trail and take in the nature around you. I've stopped people I've hiked with countless times to point out wildlife that they've walked right on by trudging along as fast as they can with their eyes set to about 2 ft in front of their feet because they gotta get to the waterfall, overlook, etc. There's nothing wrong with that type of hiking at all if that's what you like but I do feel a little sad for these people that can't see the forest for the trees. I get the feeling that people have to have an "accomplishment" while out there and I see people going out camping to relax and they just end up doing work. I wonder if it ever occurs to most to go to the woods with no goals beyond just being there. I mean, heaven forbid you're not productive for 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    ULers say all the time that they go lighter so they can go faster, longer, and see more. I call BS on that. Sure, you'll get to more view points but you will see LESS on the way to the viewpoints. By going slow you can actually look up from the trail and take in the nature around you. I've stopped people I've hiked with countless times to point out wildlife that they've walked right on by trudging along as fast as they can with their eyes set to about 2 ft in front of their feet because they gotta get to the waterfall, overlook, etc. There's nothing wrong with that type of hiking at all if that's what you like but I do feel a little sad for these people that can't see the forest for the trees. I get the feeling that people have to have an "accomplishment" while out there and I see people going out camping to relax and they just end up doing work. I wonder if it ever occurs to most to go to the woods with no goals beyond just being there. I mean, heaven forbid you're not productive for 2 days.
    Good post and couldn't agree more. Sometimes if I'm hiking a trail I'll stop at certain points and may spend hours at that one point if there is wildlife or beautiful scenery. I may go back after that and not finish the trail. But as I see the people rushing past me out of breath and covered on sweat who can barely mutter "hello" I don't think I'm missing out on anything. That being said I do finish trails and all that but the point of it for me isn't some sort of race, I'm on that trail for the environment and to be at peace. I hate hiking with people who are rushing ahead and can't slow down to look at an animal or enjoy a view.

Frankly, I can't imagine even liking Cody in person. As far as being a minimalist, if that's his thing, then he doesn't need a knife at all. He can eat bugs all he wants to. Not my thing.

Sometimes if I'm hiking a trail I'll stop at certain points and may spend hours at that one point if there is wildlife or beautiful scenery. I may go back after that and not finish the trail. But as I see the people rushing past me out of breath and covered on sweat who can barely mutter "hello" I don't think I'm missing out on anything. That being said I do finish trails and all that but the point of it for me isn't some sort of race, I'm on that trail for the environment and to be at peace. I hate hiking with people who are rushing ahead and can't slow down to look at an animal or enjoy a view.
    I feel the same way. Years ago, I used to be more interested in the endurance thing and sometimes pushed very hard. But that isn't a lot of fun. You don't see as much stuff and you are all caught up on your "time" that you refuse to enjoy where you are. Time to smell the roses. They smell good. Lots to see and learn. It is a wonderful world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    so, how much is his expertise worth?

$14/hr = if he works half a day $395 for two days
    And $395 for a two day course is not expensive
    I know the prices of painting courses, they are much more expensive
    And a Hi-Tech motivation course will be much much more expensive

I do not know why folk get so uppity about all these experts
    I certainly have my own level of dirt time, so I can evaluate what they are offering
    There is what to learn from all of them, and what to ignore that does not work
    There are some I pass thru because the level of what does not work for me is too great
    And others that I connect to because of their style and methods.

If Cody can get by and not buy into branding, then congrats to him
    And if he does get into branding and does not get carried away, then also congrats to him

So he will continue to show us what he can do with a Mora
    Neeman

Not sure where you are from but most north west coast aboriginal did not wear footwear, however the main reason was because they were in and out of the water so much that their footwear would be quickly ruined
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    The Indians around here never went bare foot in any season, and I always thought that he had some type of native emulation going on. Even if they went barefoot in his region, humans have been breaking bottles everywhere for the last 100 years. As these things are pointed out to me over time I find myself getting disillusioned over the whole survival TV genre.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information