Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cody Lundin Knife?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I know a women that only very rarely wears footwear
    She is 50 and I have known her for about 30 years
    The only time she wears footwear is if she is in a mall or restaurant or other place that requires them, usually she only puts on flip flops
    Even in winter she is usually barefoot
    Most of the time she works in backwoods type of jobs

Quote Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
    I'm not a real fan of Cody Lundin for two reasons: his insisting to wear shorts and go barefoot. The only reason the primitive tribes go barefoot is because they didn't have the technology & materials to make good boots... IMHO.

I do like his bushcraft skills. That's why I was wondering what knife he used.
    Not to get off subject, but as someone with an aboriginal historian background, you could not be more off. We may have fancy Gore Tex and Vibram in our modern society, but primitive tribes have been developing brilliant footwear for millennium. Some designs are better than what you can buy now. Remember, the most choice material, leather, is nothing new, even in a primitive world. You are used to seeing your jungle natives who know that footwear would only stay wet and opted to keep their feet from jungle rot.

I think Cody might like Mora's because his students can easily afford them and they are no big deal to lose. Unless you want to strap a knife down to the point that it is unreachable in a flash, you will lose knives in wilderness endeavors. I lost 2 well secured knives this year. One in a caving expedition and one in the process of getting a canoe out of a rock-pin in a class III. But I always have a second.

I never knew how many "primitive skills experts" there were on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Balboa256 View Post
    I never knew how many "primitive skills experts" there were on this forum.
    Yup. Stick around. You might learn something.

Much more knowledgable and reliable than the TV celebs. In fact, they come here to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Codger_64 View Post
    Much more knowledgable and reliable than the TV celebs. In fact, they come here to learn.
    He was an expert and instructor long before this forum was even a thought. I don't have a television and I don't watch his show but being on TV does NOT take away a persons credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotebc View Post
    I know a women that only very rarely wears footwear
    She is 50 and I have known her for about 30 years
    The only time she wears footwear is if she is in a mall or restaurant or other place that requires them, usually she only puts on flip flops
    Even in winter she is usually barefoot
    Most of the time she works in backwoods type of jobs
    My wife's family is like that. My mother in Law is from Barbados and they go barefoot or in flip flops most of the time. I was there this summer and there were a ton of people walking around barefoot. Hawaii is the same way from my experience there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper26 View Post
    I think Cody might like Mora's because his students can easily afford them and they are no big deal to lose. Unless you want to strap a knife down to the point that it is unreachable in a flash, you will lose knives in wilderness endeavors. I lost 2 well secured knives this year. One in a caving expedition and one in the process of getting a canoe out of a rock-pin in a class III. But I always have a second.
    I love knives like anyone else and I have a few expensive ones but I normally carried a 25 dollar Buck in the field for just that reason. I could lose 2 a year in a bad year or field ops.

Going barefoot isn't a very smart survival tactic. It is a gimmick. Evidently it works.
    Yes, that hippie goofball drives me insane. If I got in a tight spot with him, I'd leave em for the buzzards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo13 View Post
    If TOPS makes that knife then there would only be 2 wants on my list from that company (1) the BOB & now (2) Dual Survival. The rest if their line looks worthless
    woah woah woah now. There's a fish in the sea for every knife.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhorse View Post
    Yes, that hippie goofball drives me insane. If I got in a tight spot with him, I'd leave em for the buzzards.
    Something tells me, he would be fine. A lot of hate for a man you dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by tmanifold View Post
    Something tells me, he would be fine. A lot of hate for a man you dont know.
    So... you're telling us you know him?

Don't think I would. He brings a great deal of knowledge, value and skills. Plus he seems like a guy that wouldn't leave someone to die like you would. Kinda crappy thing to think about doing to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Plus he seems like a guy that wouldn't leave someone to die like you would. Kinda crappy thing to think about doing to someone.
    Well, on one episode I watched online, he did pretty well just that. His team mate went on alone to a peak toscavenge some snow for them to drink while Abo wassupposed to go to THAT rock group and set up a shelter. Well, he didn't like THAT rock group so he went off in a different direction to set up a shelter and his returning team mate had to search to find him. Or he would have been left out there with no shelter except that provided by the camera crew and guides.

Well, on one episode I watched online, he did pretty well just that. His team mate went on alone to a peak toscavenge some snow for them to drink while Abo wassupposed to go to THAT rock group and set up a shelter. Well, he didn't like THAT rock group so he went off in a different direction to set up a shelter and his returning team mate had to search to find him. Or he would have been left out there with no shelter except that provided by the camera crew and guides.
    Yeah, he would have to really rough it then!

So... you're telling us you know him?
    That's what you got out of that? Of course I don't know him. But why would I have to know him to comment that that sort of hate is kind of harsh.

That's what you got out of that? Of course I don't know him. But why would I have to know him to comment that that sort of hate is kind of harsh.
    I see. Well I think you make it out to be more than it is. You believe the celeb to be one way, others believe him to be another, based upon what they know about his public persona. None of us know him personally. We can only form our judgements by what we see him do in public. Some laud his wisdom and some think he is full of caca. I will say in his favor, he is not too prone to drink his own urine. But he does think he can change his DNA. So there is that.

Yes, killing a man for being a "hippie" and leaving him dead for the buzzards is a little strange of a comment. Really? Killing someone and leaving them for dead is somehow cool? More like psycho. Didn't know TV could bring men to such noble thoughts. Guess television has more power than we think. Where is hypnotoad?!?!

Nobody ever mentioned killing anyone. A poster simply commented leaving him for the buzzards. To me that implies going your own way and letting Darwin take it's course.

I think this thread gave me a new insight though. A lot of posters (and I'm assuming younger ones) that use social media seem to be very driven by other people's perceptions. Comments like "a lot of hate", etc. People (I'm assuming older, like me) who don't participate in social media really don't care what others think about us, and that kind of language just rolls off our backs. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Sorry, could not help it as a reference to leaving someone for the buzzards is not used as a Darwin reference, but a reference to killing someone. To change that would change the meaning of many past stories meanings and not really make sense.

Quotes from books "leaving him for the buzzards"

"He knew this was a race with death, and the men behind him had every intention of leaving him for the buzzards."

"For a brief moment I thought about pulling over,cutting his throat and leaving him for the buzzards."

"Satisfied that he was dead, the Indians road away, leaving him for the buzzards."

"He didn’t even kill the dude right off cos of her… But that was then. Bumperjack Joe wasn’t by nature the forgiving type. He figured he’d given Tom enough of a chance by leaving him for the buzzards."

"And so the thieves in the parable stripped the man of his clothes, took the donkey that he had been riding, and tried to beat him to death so he couldn’t identify them later. Then they callously departed, leaving him for the buzzards and the wild dogs. "

"Then Marshal Print Madsen hanged their youngest brother. In an act of brutal retaliation, the Gauvins murder the deputy and beat the marshal to apulp leaving him for the buzzards."

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information