Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 172

Thread: Cody Lundin Knife?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southeast Idaho
    Posts
    46,109

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Nobody ever mentioned killing anyone. A poster simply commented leaving him for the buzzards. To me that implies going your own way and letting Darwin take it's course.

    I think this thread gave me a new insight though. A lot of posters (and I'm assuming younger ones) that use social media seem to be very driven by other people's perceptions. Comments like "a lot of hate", etc. People (I'm assuming older, like me) who don't participate in social media really don't care what others think about us, and that kind of language just rolls off our backs. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Not a criticism, just an observation.
    Agreed. I am however deeply wounded that you don't care what I think of you. I may never recover from that. Sensitive type I are. But don't worry. I'll simply concentrate, become one with the earth and change my DNA.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Comox Valley BC
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Nobody ever mentioned killing anyone. A poster simply commented leaving him for the buzzards. To me that implies going your own way and letting Darwin take it's course.

    I think this thread gave me a new insight though. A lot of posters (and I'm assuming younger ones) that use social media seem to be very driven by other people's perceptions. Comments like "a lot of hate", etc. People (I'm assuming older, like me) who don't participate in social media really don't care what others think about us, and that kind of language just rolls off our backs. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Not a criticism, just an observation.
    Not all the young and can't stand social media. I just cant fathom that someone would wish a man dead because he doesn't wear shoes.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southeast Idaho
    Posts
    46,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanifold View Post
    Not all the young and can't stand social media. I just cant fathom that someone would wish a man dead because he doesn't wear shoes.
    Again, is that what the old codger said? Or is it what you wish he said? I happen to know him and he is a right man who would give you the shirt off hisback. His comment was the equivalent of "Enter a stupid contest, win a stupid prize". Few of us who have spent a half century or more outdoors have much patience for "egg-spurts" whose teachings and example don't pass the smell test and downright dangerous for neophytes who they entice to "walk their path of enlightenment". That does not mean we go out and hunt them down to make piles of buzzard food.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Sorry, could not help it as a reference to leaving someone for the buzzards is not used as a Darwin reference, but a reference to killing someone. To change that would change the meaning of many past stories meanings and not really make sense.

    Quotes from books "leaving him for the buzzards"

    "He knew this was a race with death, and the men behind him had every intention of leaving him for the buzzards."

    "For a brief moment I thought about pulling over,cutting his throat and leaving him for the buzzards."

    "Satisfied that he was dead, the Indians road away, leaving him for the buzzards."

    "He didn’t even kill the dude right off cos of her… But that was then. Bumperjack Joe wasn’t by nature the forgiving type. He figured he’d given Tom enough of a chance by leaving him for the buzzards."

    "And so the thieves in the parable stripped the man of his clothes, took the donkey that he had been riding, and tried to beat him to death so he couldn’t identify them later. Then they callously departed, leaving him for the buzzards and the wild dogs. "

    "Then Marshal Print Madsen hanged their youngest brother. In an act of brutal retaliation, the Gauvins murder the deputy and beat the marshal to apulp leaving him for the buzzards."
    I believe you have misinterpreted these quotes.
    In most of these quotes, "leaving for the buzzards" means "left unburied."

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southeast Idaho
    Posts
    46,109
    Quote Originally Posted by mtangent View Post
    I believe you have misinterpreted these quotes.
    In most of these quotes, "leaving for the buzzards" means "left unburied."
    And they seem to be googled fiction novels.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by mtangent View Post
    I believe you have misinterpreted these quotes.
    In most of these quotes, "leaving for the buzzards" means "left unburied."
    This is a silly semantic debate. It means "left for dead". Not killing someone (at least not directly), not leaving a corpse unburied, but leaving someone to die.
    Survivor #19

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    14,968
    I like cookies.
    There, I said it.
    It seems as relevant as many other posts here.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by mymindisamob View Post
    I like cookies.
    There, I said it.
    It seems as relevant as many other posts here.
    When you say cookies, you mean cake... right?
    Survivor #19

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    14,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    When you say cookies, you mean cake... right?
    They are interchangeable. Much like TV personalities, professionals, and more importantly, knives. Which you can use on cake.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southeast Idaho
    Posts
    46,109
    Quote Originally Posted by mymindisamob View Post
    They are interchangeable. Much like TV personalities, professionals, and more importantly, knives. Which you can use on cake.
    I disagree. There are cake knives and meat knives. Never use a meat knife to cut cake. Unless it is a meat cake. As for cookies, I delete them.

  11. #111
    If we can't agree what it means, it conveys no meaning.
    I like cake.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    14,968
    I use meat knives for cake all the time. It means I get to lick all that sticks to the blade off. Meat cake sounds yummy though. BTW, my wife make some chocolate/butterscotch chip cookies I refer to as "crack cookies". I delete them as well. With my stomach.
    I wonder if Cody likes cake or cookies.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,108
    Did they stop making that TV show that Cody was on?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    16,685
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    Did they stop making that TV show that Cody was on?
    Still goin":
    Dual Survival's first and second seasons originally aired in 2010 and 2011, respectively.[3][4] A third season began production in 2012.,[5] and began airing on January 1, 2013.[6] The show was renewed for a fourth season . The fourth season production will start in October and production will finish in April 2014 and will begin airing in June 2014.
    He seems to be looking for more work of that kind: http://www.codylundin.com/host_show_dev.html

    Interesting: http://www.codylundin.com/survive_tv.html

  15. #115
    I tried to read this entire thread to see if anyone else brought this up, but couldn't stomach the irrelevant posts. So if this is redundant I apologize for not reading everything...

    The OP stated he likes/respects Cody Lundin's bushcraft skills. I would strongly recommend getting the book 98.6 Degrees, by Cody, which is constantly in stock at all my local B&N locations. If you don't want to buy the book, find a copy and read pages 172-178. I will summarize and comment...

    1. Cody likes carbon steel because it's easy to sharpen. He also lives in Arizona, so rust probably isn't as pervasive of an issue when he's at home. I know the feeling as I live in a very dry state also.

    2. Cody likes wide sharpening bevels, because they are easy to maintain. I try really hard to understand microbevels on outdoors knives but still don't get it. So I agree with Cody on this, but I'm still testing secondary bevels to see why people like them so much (seriously, I am really trying to get it).

    3. Cody likes full tang fixed knives, which is odd because I've never actually seen him use one. He clearly doesn't have any issues with stick tangs but based on what he says in the book ("full tang means the metal of the blade runs clear up into the handle") I think he basically believes stick tangs are classified as full tang.

    4. Cody likes knives with a 4" blade. I have to agree with him here as I haven't found any knife outside the 4 to 4 1/2" blade range that I am really comfortable with for bushcraft/survival training.

    He mentions a few other points besides. I think it's all sound advice and largely mirrors Mors Kochanski, who Cody credits for introducing him to the Mora Basic. I felt like a total fool for all the fancy survival knives I've bought and sold over the years after watching a Mors video where he explains how to use a knife, and ends up making a pair of snowshoes, start to finish, using a Mora and a hatchet.

    Hope this helps...

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    16,685
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalizedLiving View Post
    The OP stated he likes/respects Cody Lundin's bushcraft skills. I would strongly recommend getting the book 98.6 Degrees, by Cody, which is constantly in stock at all my local B&N locations. If you don't want to buy the book, find a copy and read pages 172-178. I will summarize and comment...

    1. Cody likes carbon steel because it's easy to sharpen. He also lives in Arizona, so rust probably isn't as pervasive of an issue when he's at home. I know the feeling as I live in a very dry state also.
    The typical SS knife that the general public buys is made out of junk SS in China and is very soft = easy to sharpen and lousy edge-retention

    The folks who buy high-quality SS knives usually know about diamond sharpeners so they find good SS knives easy to sharpen.

    98.6 is a very useful book in most respects.

    2. Cody likes wide sharpening bevels, because they are easy to maintain. I try really hard to understand microbevels on outdoors knives but still don't get it. So I agree with Cody on this, but I'm still testing secondary bevels to see why people like them so much (seriously, I am really trying to get it).
    And yet secondary bevels are traditional on Scandinavian and Finnish knives - and knives made in the U.S. for generations -- and seem to work just fine if the knife is otherwise not too obtuse.

    He mentions a few other points besides. I think it's all sound advice and largely mirrors Mors Kochanski, who Cody credits for introducing him to the Mora Basic. I felt like a total fool for all the fancy survival knives I've bought and sold over the years after watching a Mors video where he explains how to use a knife, and ends up making a pair of snowshoes, start to finish, using a Mora and a hatchet.
    Mors is quite the guy. I love his instructional videos. He now endorses a full tang "bushcraft" knife. It too is simple, just not a stick tang MORA.

    I love MORA's.

    We all need all the help we can get.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Codger_64 View Post
    Agreed. I am however deeply wounded that you don't care what I think of you. I may never recover from that. Sensitive type I are. But don't worry. I'll simply concentrate, become one with the earth and change my DNA.
    Maybe we become one together! Worms, here we come!

    Quote Originally Posted by tmanifold View Post
    Not all the young and can't stand social media.
    Point taken! It was a generalization, to be sure.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Clarion, PA
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Nobody ever mentioned killing anyone. A poster simply commented leaving him for the buzzards. To me that implies going your own way and letting Darwin take it's course.

    I think this thread gave me a new insight though. A lot of posters (and I'm assuming younger ones) that use social media seem to be very driven by other people's perceptions. Comments like "a lot of hate", etc. People (I'm assuming older, like me) who don't participate in social media really don't care what others think about us, and that kind of language just rolls off our backs. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Not a criticism, just an observation.
    You're approaching 10 years and 5000 posts here on this online forum. You would seem to be at least a little familiar with social media...

    As for me, early 30s, use facebook occasionally and post here from time to time. I don't think it's reasonable to leave him to die just because you don't like a supposed gimmick that he has been faithfully maintaining for decades.

    I don't watch his new show, but I have seen some others he's done. He is very skilled and knowledgeable, no matter what he's wearing.

    I don't care what knife he uses. I also don't care what brand of toothbrush he uses. I use what I'm comfortable with and it makes me happy. If it wasn't going to be cold and rainy tomorrow I'd go barefoot on my run tomorrow, just for spite

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by mymindisamob View Post
    I use meat knives for cake all the time. It means I get to lick all that sticks to the blade off. Meat cake sounds yummy though. BTW, my wife make some chocolate/butterscotch chip cookies I refer to as "crack cookies". I delete them as well. With my stomach.
    I wonder if Cody likes cake or cookies.
    Don't lick them if you use ballistol, though. Tastes terrible.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter27 View Post
    You're approaching 10 years and 5000 posts here on this online forum. You would seem to be at least a little familiar with social media...
    I'm still working on learning myspace. Oops!

    Quote Originally Posted by scouter27 View Post
    If it wasn't going to be cold and rainy tomorrow I'd go barefoot on my run tomorrow, just for spite
    Go for it!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •