Thread: Tony Bose saddlehorn with Don Hanson steel

Tony Bose saddlehorn with Don Hanson steel

ADVERTISEMENT
    Kerry Hampton just posted this over in the traditional forum. Thought we should enjoy it over here, too. Tony Bose 4-5/8ths-inch ivory saddlehorn with Don Hanson damascus. Love the results.

Kerry's photo:

- Joe
    "If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

The Saddlehorn is one of my favorite patterns and what a great combo of makers to team up on this one.
    Joe, I wouldn't be surprised if this was yours?

Click on logos for info
    My Collection & Available Knives: http://www.kevinjonescustomknives.com/

The King of Steel meets the King of Slipjoints. Thats as good as it gets.
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

Damn You Joe !
    thats like a peanut butter cup

Gorgeous knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    The Saddlehorn is one of my favorite patterns and what a great combo of makers to team up on this one.
    Joe, I wouldn't be surprised if this was yours?
    Kevin, I would love to claim this one, but it is the most recent out of Wilfred Works, and not mine. If I were guessing, I would think it might show up at Blade. But that I am not sure of.

- Joe
    "If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

Looks SO good!

Tony could have taken it to the top, and used Goblins and Spiders mosaic for the bolsters.

Wonderful. Hey, can I hire Kerry? Jeez, that's crisp.

Coop
    Jim Cooper - Capturing the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives. • Makers: Read Post 815 AND Post 891 •
    • 2014 Website - Below • SBC on Facebook •

Quote Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
    Looks SO good!

Tony could have taken it to the top, and used Goblins and Spiders mosaic for the bolsters.

Wonderful. Hey, can I hire Kerry? Jeez, that's crisp.

Coop
    Plan was to have damascus bolsters and shield, but the way Tony builds a knife, these would need to be etched after the knife was finished. No way to get a deep dark etch this way. I like the contrast of the SS and damascus and also the Bose-ness of it all.

I am proud to be part of this special project.
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

Saddlehorns are one of my favorites too, and THAT is probably the NICEST I have ever seen! WOW!!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hanson III View Post
    Plan was to have damascus bolsters and shield, but the way Tony builds a knife, these would need to be etched after the knife was finished. No way to get a deep dark etch this way. I like the contrast of the SS and damascus and also the Bose-ness of it all.

I am proud to be part of this special project.
    That's interesting information Don. Even though I'm a big fan of damascus, I like the contrast of the SS as well.

Click on logos for info

Quote Originally Posted by canineforge View Post
    Kevin, I would love to claim this one, but it is the most recent out of Wilfred Works, and not mine. If I were guessing, I would think it might show up at Blade. But that I am not sure of.

- Joe
    Thanks Joe, as soon as I saw that beautiful piece I thought how well it would fit in your slipjoint collection.

Click on logos for info

Very, very nice!!!

Beautiful, I too like the look of the SS. It defines the damascus more while giving the ivory the rich look it deserves. Its like looking at 2 master pieces in one.

Bill
    Avatar: Ivory Arkansas Toothpick

www.billbuxtonknives.com

ABS Mastersmith

Blade Show Table 9P

Wow, that is stunning - thanks for posting it up here.

What is being praised here is something I've been noticing for years: damascus is SO rich, that a visual break gives it more balance. In this case the polished bolster.

I'm alone on this, but when I see a damascus blade AND a damascus guard, I'm not as impressed. Just too busy. Give me some polish to distinguish the areas.

Coop
    Jim Cooper - Capturing the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives. • Makers: Read Post 815 AND Post 891 •

Quote Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
    What is being praised here is something I've been noticing for years: damascus is SO rich, that a visual break gives it more balance. In this case the polished bolster.

I'm alone on this, but when I see a damascus blade AND a damascus guard, I'm not as impressed. Just too busy. Give me some polish to distinguish the areas.

Coop
    Even though I agree for some knives Coop I feel it depends on the particular knife and it's components and embellishments.
    For example, the Michael Ruth piece which won this year's BF Best Bowie would be one where the Damascus guard and blade looks extremely nice together, IMO at least.

Click on logos for info

Sharp, you are not alone. I agree that there can be too much pattern, the eye needs a rest, to appreciate better the complexity of the Damascus.

^^^ Exactly. Everyone has a subjective sense about their preferences. I've seriously been considering a thread on this premise. Achieving visual separation and balance, but I don't want to alienate work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    Even though I agree for some knives Coop I feel it depends on the particular knife and it's components and embellishments.
    For example, the Michael Ruth piece which won this year's BF Best Bowie would be one where the Damascus guard and blade looks extremely nice together, IMO at least.
    Ready...? That piece won by a nose. If Mike had polished just the edges of the guard, I'm thinking it would have won by three lengths. LOL!

That's only me.

Coop

That's a beauty. I love the busy look of the damascus combined with the more calming look of the ivory!

Thread Information