Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Myke Hawke Gear

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Just that Myke Hawke is super nice and even more impressive in person.
    Ok then I'll take your word for it. Maybe someday but I'm not exactly a drooling "fan boy".

I do however have a high tolerance for being impressed (that's coming from someone who has been around top-tier SF guys, security/tactical professionals and rebel fighters here in in my country, which is a known disaster-ridden "third world" country. Pain tolerance gets amped-up here real quick).

Like I said, I like him. I just don't get his designs, especially when it comes to re-sharpening such bizaare blade angles or when those folding guards get hung-up or snagged on clothing, etc. during a critical moment if you do intend to use if for SD purposes.
    Last edited by untamed; 02-18-2013 at 08:35 AM.

I had to go look up who this guy was. Honestly, just from his pics online, he looks like he's pretty full of himself, and takes himself way too seriously. But, apparently a lot of other people take him seriously as well, so more power to him. This is the era of the 'celebrity survivalist,' so cash in on it while you can.

His knife designs only make sense to me within the context of the above.

^ I think this is exactly what's going on here. Cash in on the tacti-cool, survivalist thing while there's still a market for it - which will soon go away.

This, i think is what Cody is hoping to do - establish himself more completely as a thoroughly professional survival skills instructor (which, strangely enough, he is).

The tacti-cool thing will go away at some point sooner or later, but the desire for the wilderness skills will probably continue. The sad, mall-ninja knife market will probably never go away as it is comprised primarily of teenage boys looking for masculine role models (and their 'operational gear').

double tap......

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

His knife designs only make sense to me within the context of the above.
    My mind is having a hard time working out exactly how or why someone would come up with those designs. But maybe there is a method to the madness. If I already had a draw full of Gerber BG it would take something funky to pry away my Mall Ninja dollar. The designs could also be a product an inflated ego like you said but unless he used all of his own cash (could be the case) someone who knows better must have gone along for the ride with their skin in the game for a reason.

Say Myke Hawkes name 3 times fast and you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by untamed View Post
    Ok then I'll take your word for it. Maybe someday but I'm not exactly a drooling "fan boy".

I do however have a high tolerance for being impressed (that's coming from someone who has been around top-tier SF guys, security/tactical professionals and rebel fighters here in in my country, which is a known disaster-ridden "third world" country. Pain tolerance gets amped-up here real quick).

Like I said, I like him. I just don't get his designs, especially when it comes to re-sharpening such bizaare blade angles or when those folding guards get hung-up or snagged on clothing, etc. during a critical moment if you do intend to use if for SD purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Ryan View Post
    Say Myke Hawkes name 3 times fast and you will understand.
    Myke Hawke, Myke Hawke, Myke Hawke

I was amazed at Shot Show how many women wanted to pose for a picture with Myke Hawke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Claw Chris Lappe View Post
    I was amazed at Shot Show how many women wanted to pose for a picture with Myke Hawke.

^ Evidently, this thread. . .

In my opinion the only things one can determine about a person from watching them in a television show are: whether or not they are entertained by them, and how they feel about the character being portrayed. Hollywood changes everything it gets its hands on to suit its own needs, and present the image they want to present. I believe it was Susan Lucci, but it may have been another day time drama star, who was struck in the face with a frozen pie at a supermarket back in the 70s. She sustained a broken nose and had to have plastic surgery, all because of something her character had done to another character on the show. Seems that some have trouble separating the illusions from the realities. I don't do TV, I've only watched a few partial episodes of Man Woman Wild here and there on line when I hear certain knives are featured, and then I only look for the knives, how they are used, and how they perform...skipping through everything else. So I really don't have much to add there. I did however get to do phone interviews with Myke a few times for the piece I did on the Hawke's Hellion. He seems like a super nice guy, and he was fun to talk to. One of the statements that sticks in my head the most was about the design of the Hellion. His words were (paraphrasing) I really don't care if you call it the ugliest damned knife you have ever seen in your life, the question is does it work as a survival tool. The short answer was yes, and in a true survival situation in a wilderness environment I can think of a great many knives I would choose the Hellion over...with all Moras being at or at least very near the top of that list. I don't have any real input on the new stuff since I haven't handled any of it yet, and I have no idea who is producing it. As usual with most knife lines though, some designs I could work with, and some have no appeal to me. I'm not crazy about the idea of the fold out guards, but with him being a medic I understand his concerns about injuries in the field in the middle of nowhere, and in this sue happy country we call home he can at least say a guard was available if someone cuts their self and then tries to sue over it. From the perspective it was apparently designed, in the hands of someone with a good working knowledge of the human anatomy, that little carry knife (with three sharp edges and the tanto secondary tip) could do a lot. I don't know who is making them, but if the quality is there, that Peregrine (his little general purpose fixed blade) looks like something I could work with. I like that it has a more pointy tip than the Hellion, and AUS-8 isn't the worst stainless on the market. I guess I'll be checking it out next time I'm in Sevierville.

Quote Originally Posted by cramsey3006 View Post
    Well..... I think we all know that straight edges are easier to sharpen than curved ones. So in a survival situation, that type of knife should be easier to sharpen on a flat stone. The knives at SMKW look horrendous, but I know that was his theory about the Hellion. And our very own Mistwalker seemed to think that the Hellion wasn't that bad of a knife.

I wouldn't buy any of them though. Even the Hellion.
    In my experiences, while straight edges do sort of suck at skinning large game...making it take longer if you wish to keep and use the hide, they are much easier to maintain with small flat stones, organic stones, and under stress, and work pretty well in most other uses. A straight edged Wharncliffe blade is a lot easier to maintain than a skinner with lots of belly, it's simple physics. The only problem I had with the Hellion was a personal one in that it doesn't have as sharp a point as I myself prefer, but the utility pouch on the front of the sheath offers a quick solution by being large enough to carry a smaller, pointier companion knife. The Hellion is a big sharp piece of 5160 spring steel, with multiple edges, and a working saw, made by a company I have come to trust to make tough knives. Would be be my first choice for a survival knife in deep bush? No, but it's a lot closer to being the first choice than it is to being the last one.
    History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies. ~Alexis de Tocqueville

B.H. #27

I had to go look up who this guy was. Honestly, just from his pics online, he looks like he's pretty full of himself, and takes himself way too seriously. But, apparently a lot of other people take him seriously as well, so more power to him. This is the era of the 'celebrity survivalist,' so cash in on it while you can. His knife designs only make sense to me within the context of the above.
    I'd rather stick to commenting on the knives but as I believe you are so wrong I just couldn't resist this one:...............Personally, I think he's just a regular bloke that lives just round the corner from my old house. There's nothing special to him save for he's seen a niche to make money with his military skills. Considering the vast number of people that don't, or worse exit the military to just live life as plebs, [or indeed if the figures are correct more American servicemen committed suicide in 2010 than were killed in combat], I think he's doing well for himself................True, that he puts on a character and modifies his voice to the role he plays can make him appear a tad cartoon. A bit like sarcasm though, some people just wont get it and wont see the parody even when it comes pretty much announced by his selected character name Myke Hawke. Considering how incurably riddled the Neo-Bushcraft movement is with BS, and how we have dipshit barefoot survival gurus and whatnot that wouldn't even make it through a bracing weekend training with mountain rescue in winter in the Cairngorms without becoming a casualty themselves, he comes as a breath of fresh air. ….............I for one thought he was excellent on Tool Academy, a show in which “the tools” [philandering,dickhead, misogynistic, beer swilling louts lacking in social grace and aptitude] are brought on to TV by their respective partners [which they refer to so delightfully as SWMBO], with a view to shaming them out of the despicable habits. It was obvious from that show when he was playing “the heavy guy” as he put them through boot camp just how much fun he is having with it from the times he “corpsed” and broke out of character..........................I think it says a lot about the current state of survival / neo-bushcraft if we have reached a point rather like Poe's Law and religion, a point at which “Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of [-]fundamentalism[/-] survival / bushcraft that someone won't mistake for the real thing”................It's brilliant that someone is having some fun with it. It's a hell of a lot better than crusty old sourpuss rinsing money from folks with the same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by baldtaco-II View Post
    ...I think it says a lot about the current state of survival / neo-bushcraft if we have reached a point rather like Poe's Law and religion, a point at which “Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of [-]fundamentalism[/-] survival / bushcraft that someone won't mistake for the real thing”................It's brilliant that someone is having some fun with it. It's a hell of a lot better than crusty old sourpuss rinsing money from folks with the same old same old.
    Well, let's say you are correct, and this is actually a savvy parody (that somehow was way too "highbrow" for me to grasp...), instead of just another, "I'm ex-military and I designed these goofy knives, and now I'm going to make a fast buck off of it." Even if this is true...

The bottom line is, I really don't care. I have no need for any of this 'celebrity survivalist" fodder, whether it be sarcastic parody, crusty old sourpuss, or Bear Grylls, or Cody Lundin, or any of them, for that matter. It's all bullshit. I'm not searching for "survival heroes" to look up to. I have no need of these false idols. And so, My Cock's actual intent is completely irrelevant to me. You want to know what's even worse than a garden-variety huckster? A winking huckster who makes you feel like you are one of the select few who are "in on the game"...

I like the little arrowhead thingies, I'd pick some up to play with if they're cheap.
    /Users/tnc4evr/Desktop/thumbnail.aspx.jpg

Well, let's say you are correct, and this is actually a savvy parody (that somehow was way too "highbrow" for me to grasp...), instead of just another, "I'm ex-military and I designed these goofy knives, and now I'm going to make a fast buck off of it." Even if this is true...The bottom line is, I really don't care. I have no need for any of this 'celebrity survivalist" fodder, whether it be sarcastic parody, crusty old sourpuss, or Bear Grylls, or Cody Lundin, or any of them, for that matter. It's all bullshit. I'm not searching for "survival heroes" to look up to. I have no need of these false idols. And so, My Cock's actual intent is completely irrelevant to me. You want to know what's even worse than a garden-variety huckster? A winking huckster who makes you feel like you are one of the select few who are "in on the game"...
    Fair points well made.

The effect Hollywood has on Celebrities is truly spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by tknife View Post
    I like the little arrowhead thingies, I'd pick some up to play with if they're cheap.
    Was just checking those out. Part of them put me in mind of a conversation I had with Rick Marchand a few years ago about a gig head that could be hafted in the field. The price really isn't bad. They are 8Cr13Mov so shouldn't rust up if stored for long or used in a corrosive salt water/brackish water environment. I may be playing around with those some in some southern swamps this spring as well
    History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies. ~Alexis de Tocqueville

B.H. #27

Quote Originally Posted by baldtaco-II View Post
    Fair points well made.

Quote Originally Posted by fmajor007 View Post
    This, i think is what Cody is hoping to do - establish himself more completely as a thoroughly professional survival skills instructor (which, strangely enough, he is).
    My bet is he's pulling a Redford. Making money to buy up land in order to preserve it. What else does a guy who's a minimalist living off the grid spend his money on?

As to the OP. One day a tactical operator is going to come out with a knife I like. Until then I'll stick with my mora.

The concave cutting edge seems very impractical to me. I like a knife that can chop on a cutting board, but the knives he designed look like it they were made for Klingons.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information