Thread: The Ammo Shortage and Knives

The Ammo Shortage and Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    ...I have more free money than usual, so I've been buying knives. I've recently come into a Buck Vantage, an Izula, and last night got on a list for the new GEC Farm & Field & Fish knife. Usually I buy one or two knives a year, but I'm up to about one a month now. Guess there is a bright side to everything.

I read a lot about Vantages having problems, but mine is pretty fine. It's one of the Paperstone models, and is centered, sharp, and with a smooth pivot right out of the box.

The Izula is everything that the internets said it would be. I like it a lot, and it's neat to have a fixed blade small enough to EDC. I'm carrying it (and a Case CV Trapper, and a Vic Classic) right now.

The new GEC Farm & Field & Fish is in a few threads here and there, but I'm surprised more people aren't excited about it. I've been looking for a fishing knife in that general pattern all winter and didn't find one I liked, but this one looks sweet. I have no experience with GEC, but of the knives I've bought so far in 2013 I'm most excited about this one.

I'll be happy when ammo is back on the shelves, but this spree of knife buying has been a decent consolation prize. I guess this is a post about opportunity knocking on the back door, silver linings, and all that. Anyone else been using their ammo budget this way?

I have a feeling that if I saved all of my "ammo" money, by the time Underwood gets some of that 1600 FPS 135Gr. 10mm ammo back on the shelf, I would have a few bucks in the pocket.

So yes, I am going to use some of my ammo money to buy a Hinderer XM24. (I made the mistake of looking at their picture thread here.)

The "Farm and Field" line by GEC is genius.The O-1tool steel blades are wonderful, and I get better edges than with run of the mill 1095. They keep selling the runs out so hopefully they will expand and continue on with more models. I've been waiting for O-1 knives for decades. IN particular a thin, user lock back. I have one now and I love it!

I'm a "drive-by" shopper when it comes to ammo. I use 9mm so I'm in a bind both for the shortage and for the general popularity of Hornady's 9mm self defense rounds. But, I usually pick up some every time I pass by a shelf (on my way to the knife counter that has what I use, so I've got a few boxes stored around the house. I'm in various gun shops and big box sporting goods stores quite a bit, so I'll pick up a box or two just to buy something sometimes.

As far as knife budgets, I'm living on past investments right now. If I see something I want to try, I sell off a couple of previous purchases (made when I had a bigger income) to feed my addiction for now.
    Regards, Dale
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers 1879-1935
    ISEK #12

More ammo is way more important than buying more knives to me. But to each his own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RDog View Post
    More ammo is way more important than buying more knives to me. But to each his own.
    Kind of hard to do when the shelves are empty across the country. Also, people may not necessarily want to pay a premium for it.

I got into reloading and stocked up on a decent amount of factory rounds a few months before the election, Xmas, the mayan scare, the shooting, and the subsequent ban talks caused everyone to lose their collective mind. So I've been buying knives and don't shoot quite as often, but still can.

I was able to buy a bunch of reloading supplies, and a Colt M4 at pre-panic prices right after the Newtown shooting. If it weren't for my ability to load 9MM, .45 ACP, and .223, I wouldn't be shooting at all right now.

I'd much rather be able to buy ammo than not, and wouldn't be buying knives instead if there were any ammo on the shelves. I checked four separate stores over the weekend, and not a 9mm round to be found. I'm using the knife purchases as a sort of consolation prize.

Ammo shortages caused by the current political climate is a good readson to reload and have a good suuply of components on hand. Just tlike you prepare for the back county with the right knife prepare for the changing political winds by have some loaded ammo on hand but since this is a knice forum, It's nice to have some good blades too!

My situation exactly. I finally get a couple of bucks together and I want to buy ammo and reloading supplies. Shelves around here are empty and have been for a while. I will not pay inflated zombie prices so I plan to sit it out. I am set well on rimfire so I have been buying various canoe style knives when I come across something interesting. Fun to have rotation of irresistible canoes to choose from when I step out for the day.

Its a tough choice. If the shit hits the fan and there is a revolution because of the horrid Government, I would much rather have lots of ammo than tons of knives. Luckily, I have both. If you think the prices of some knives are high.....? See what simple 22LR shells are going for now in some places. I bought more bricks than I can count when they were $9-10 a BRICK and that's 500 Rounds. Now, just a box of 50, I have seen places for $50, and they offered a discount for a brick at $250. Its getting bad out there folks.....lol.

I sure like GEC. The farm and field series is genius. I may have to break down and get one of the fishing knives. I don't really need one.

Don't get me started on ammo and gun prices!

Even reloaders are having a hard time. The price of lead will lead you to bankruptcy. If they can't take your guns, then they make the ammo unavailable for the average Joe. Good time to buy some knives I guess, before they realize they can be used for a weapon in a pinch. Would hate to think I had to protect myself and my family with only some knives though. I do have several hundred rounds of 12 gauge left from my skeet shooting days though.

Blessings,

Omar

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    ...I have more free money than usual, so I've been buying knives. I've recently come into a Buck Vantage, an Izula, and last night got on a list for the new GEC Farm & Field & Fish knife. Usually I buy one or two knives a year, but I'm up to about one a month now. Guess there is a bright side to everything.

I read a lot about Vantages having problems, but mine is pretty fine. It's one of the Paperstone models, and is centered, sharp, and with a smooth pivot right out of the box.

The Izula is everything that the internets said it would be. I like it a lot, and it's neat to have a fixed blade small enough to EDC. I'm carrying it (and a Case CV Trapper, and a Vic Classic) right now.

The new GEC Farm & Field & Fish is in a few threads here and there, but I'm surprised more people aren't excited about it. I've been looking for a fishing knife in that general pattern all winter and didn't find one I liked, but this one looks sweet. I have no experience with GEC, but of the knives I've bought so far in 2013 I'm most excited about this one.

I'll be happy when ammo is back on the shelves, but this spree of knife buying has been a decent consolation prize. I guess this is a post about opportunity knocking on the back door, silver linings, and all that. Anyone else been using their ammo budget this way?
    I carry on quite like you. I carry a blackjack neck knife, case cv trapper and sometimes a delica. People tell me that you might as well buy knives, because they're better self defense than than a gun with no ammo!

Blog Entries
    Someone might like to repost this as a Political Arena topic but guns and politics don't belong in General Knife Discussion.

Thread Information