Thread: Acid etch knife and stonewash knockout?

Question Acid etch knife and stonewash knockout?

ADVERTISEMENT
    So I will be getting my kershaw knockout soon, and I have been envying all these custom stonewashed and acid etched knives on here. Can you do this to a black knife handle, or will it just flake the coating off? I want to have it done to both the blade and look terrible? I want a dark sexy finish on the whole knife is when it's done. I wrote rival but didn't get a reply yet... If anyone has pics of something like this, please post them!

I would use some oven cleaner to strip the black off first. The yellow can of Easy Off works wonders. Once the silver is exposed underneath, the acid wash will make it dark again.

Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    I would use some oven cleaner to strip the black off first. The yellow can of Easy Off works wonders. Once the silver is exposed underneath, the acid wash will make it dark again.
    Have you done this before orange? Also, will the writing on the blade survive the process?

The handle of the Knockout is black anodized aluminum. I've never seen stonewashed or acidwash aluminum, so I don't know if it's even possible. The lock bar is steel, so that could be washed.

sorry for the late reply to your e-mail....it must have gotten overlooked.

The writing on blades usually does not survive the acid washing process. Also, as another prev mentioned....not too sure if you can safely acid dip an aluminum handle...never tried it, so not sure what would happen. Could def wash the subframe lock. You could prob stonewash the handle with the coating on it and would just result in a rough worn look...but again that is only a guess as I've never done it. When I get home i'll find & respond to your e-mail as well...

meantime, if anyone has a blem they want to experiment with:-)
    Rival Custom Knifeworks: Pimpin ain't easy...but it sure is fun
    Links--->
    About Me - Gallery - www.rivalknives.wix.com/rival

Quote Originally Posted by Gmrpnk21 View Post
    Have you done this before orange? Also, will the writing on the blade survive the process?
    This one is easy-offed and stonewashed, but not acid dipped:

As Rival said, there is not much hope of the writing surviving the process.

Hmmm.... Maybe we should try acid washing an aluminum handle of a cheaper knife? With a weaker acid that is.Orange, that looks really nice! I really want a nice custom edc that doesn't break the bank, and the knockout seemed like a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmrpnk21 View Post
    Hmmm.... Maybe we should try acid washing an aluminum handle of a cheaper knife? With a weaker acid that is.Orange, that looks really nice! I really want a nice custom edc that doesn't break the bank, and the knockout seemed like a good choice.
    or just slice up an aluminum can, sand it down a little, and see what happens to the shiny side.

...and before everyone goes nuts about the CF blur, it was an especially bad blem!

Thread Information