Thread: Anyone heard of Antonini knives?

Anyone heard of Antonini knives?

ADVERTISEMENT
    They're one of the only manufacturers of traditional Italian knives, (the Pattada pattern specifically,) who's products are readily available in the States. And, aside from a few mentions of one of their Sodbusters, they don't seem to have ever been discussed here. Is there anyone in this subforum who's ever owned one of their knives? And, if so, what was the quality like?

Here's their website.

No but thanks for bringing the company to attention. The NARMADA_TACT looks interesting.

The Maniaghese, looks an awful lot like my Robert Klaas "Brown Mule" Sodbuster that I enjoy so much and also bears Italy trademarks. Coincidence........

Cool, thanks for the resource.
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

The 861 classic looks a lot like the Robert Klaas black angus large sodbuster (made in italy)

Until recently Antonini (A. E. Coltellerie snc) had only limited availability in the US. A. E. Coltellerie snc is still a family-owned company and manufacture all of their knives at their facility just outside Maniago, a town and region rich in tool and knife-making history. They now have a US importer distributor with a US website, Non-BF vendor link removed. Please feel free to visit Antonini's home site or ours, or contact us with any questions you may have.
    Last edited by knarfeng; 05-10-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: non-BF vendor link removed.

ive seen the brand here while 'window shopping' online but i do not have any experience with the brand.

Whetrock is right about how similar they are to each other. I have the Robert Klass brown mule sodbusters that are made in italy and I also have a few of the Antonini sodbusters, they are identical to each other with exception to the writing on the blades. My guess is that Antonini knives made the Brown mule sodbusters for Robert Klass until recently, now the new Brown Mules are made in China I bought a coupe of their other knives as well, pretty good quality for the price. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
    Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts .....?
    WTB GEC Black Bullnose with Redneck Pivot! GEC Radio Knife! Scagel Folder #1or#11<--Click Here If You Have One!
    BCCI Lifetime Member #2151 & Proud supporter of JK Knives #47

Dang, I didn't here that. Nothing against chinese stuff, it's just that I really enjoy the patina on my Brown Mule, and the fact that it's made somewhere, that isn't notorious for mass produced goods. They were reasonably priced, and sported typical Sodbuster F&F, kinda rough, but more than serviceable. I'm gonna hang onto mine. Hopefully Antonini will find some sort presence here, stateside.

Another regional knife I have to get. I have an Eka, a Douk Douk, a Higonokami, a Mercator, an Aitor Castor on the way and now I want this.
    The one with the spear blade and the saw blade looks cool and under twenty bucks. Darn you enablers!

I was given a 'Robert Klaas' Black Angus for my birthday a few months back. It was sold by a UK distributer as being made from 'High carbon Solingen steel', so when I saw it was marked 'Inox' and 'Made in Italy', I contacted him. Unfortunately, the man was so clueless he thought that 'Inox' wasn't stainless, but Uncle Andi kindly contacted Robert Klass to enquire about the steel. It seems that the Brown Mule and Black Angus knives, while carrying a Robert Klaas tang stamp have little if anything to do with the company (or with Solingen). They are licensed to an American company, who currently gets the knives made in Italy. Looks like they get them made by Antonini. Be interesting to see how the Antonini and 'Robert Klaas' knives compare price wise.

Edit - Just to add, according to an e-mail between the American distributor and UK retailer I had sight of, both the Black Angus and Brown Mule are currently only being produced in stainless.
    Last edited by Jack Black; 05-12-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Is it at least a decent knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    I was given a 'Robert Klaas' Black Angus for my birthday a few months back. It was sold by a UK distributer as being made from 'High carbon Solingen steel', so when I saw it was marked 'Inox' and 'Made in Italy', I contacted him. Unfortunately, the man was so clueless he thought that 'Inox' wasn't stainless, but Uncle Andi kindly contacted Robert Klass to enquire about the steel. It seems that the Brown Mule and Black Angus knives, while carrying a Robert Klaas tang stamp have little if anything to do with the company (or with Solingen). They are licensed to an American company, who currently gets the knives made in Italy. Looks like they get them made by Antonini. Be interesting to see how the Antonini and 'Robert Klaas' knives compare price wise.

Edit - Just to add, according to an e-mail between the American distributor and UK retailer I had sight of, both the Black Angus and Brown Mule are currently only being produced in stainless.
    jungle_commander on Instagram

WTB Steel Flame tags

Quote Originally Posted by CJZ View Post
    Is it at least a decent knife?
    It's a very basic design, ABS handle, no liner, a fairly straight cllipped blade. I'm sure it's a handy enough little blade, but having expected it to be made of carbon steel I was disappointed when it turned out to be stainless (420 I think), and would have returned it if the dealer hadn't been such a pain in the backside to deal with. The knife's saving grace for me is that it was an inexpensive way of finding out I should shop elsewhere in future. It depends what you want really, it's OK, but not a patch on the Case Sodbuster in CV which Woodrow recently sent me.

I just ordered their version of a TL29. Carbon steel blades, looks good in pictures. We'll see.

I had to order this. I like it quite it a bit. Fast shipping, too. I ordered it on the evening of the 14th and it was in the mailbox on the 17th.

Looks useful. It screams utilitarian. An old school multi tool for sure. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by trey999 View Post
    I had to order this. I like it quite it a bit. Fast shipping, too. I ordered it on the evening of the 14th and it was in the mailbox on the 17th.

ahhh, an antonini-made electricians knife. i asked about that one in the 'what are you totin' thread. its a nice-looking item.

Just had to bump this. An excellent assortment of both traditional and modern styles. I like how they added a lanyard loop to the pattada (I always attached a lanyard to my old SAK).

I got one recently from Antonini. Nice service, came in a few days. Slight imperfection such as the blade isn't completely centered when closed, not a big issue as I do enjoy this knife. I eventually bought it since no other "Resolza" knife is't available through U.S. distributors other than Antonini. I've got the mid size 80mm, great for a light pocket knife with classy European look to it. Scales are ox horn and a stainless blade (came nice and sharp) with a great bay leaf contour. Nice looking knife. Excellent for what it's intended to do, cut sausage, cheese, bread and does great prep work for dinner (meat, veg etc..) Someday, I'd love to have a higher end Resolza actually from Sardinia (Antonini's are in Maniago) but for know, I'm really enjoying this one and I've been carrying it everyday since it arrived.

Thread Information