Thread: Two man cross cut saw

Two man cross cut saw

ADVERTISEMENT
    I thought people in this forum would appreciate the saw albeit it the size and only use being a long term camp. Still though a great tool and learning how it works helps one understand modern saws.

That's not something ya see everyday - very interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I've never used a saw like that, but even I can see how effective a tool like that would be (especially if a chainsaw wasn't available!).

Learnt to use them in Scouts (a long time ago)
    Great for team work

Actually they are great becasue they cut fast with do so with much less noice than a chainsaw. In an hour 2 people can do a lot of work with out the need for hearing protections.

When I was a kid we had a seven footer and it worked fantastically if you had two cooperative people. We processed a lot of firewood in a reasonable amount of time. Nothing like a chainsaw, but man it was a great experience for my teenage shoulders. The designers of some of these traditional tools really knew their stuff. Sawdust flew!

I imagined us making a pit like in the Eric Sloane books to rip some logs into boards. Probably way too challenging but I'm sure it was absolutely possible.

Thanks for sharing that video. Nicely done.

we used two man saws on the farm when I was a wee lad. I was not old enough, but my Uncles and Dad would make short work of a stack of logs.
    Nemo me impune lacaset

Rat Pack #875

A well sharped saw with 2 experienced cutters is can make short work blocking fire wood not as fast as a chainsaw but still fast and a lot quieter.

I have a one man cross cut in my garage that is relatively new. I just can't bring myself to buy a chain saw to use twice a year for 30 minutes each.

Grew up with 2-man cross cut saws. Cut a lot of wood that way. You can still buy new ones at places like Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows. Something tells me that Forestry Suppliers may not be in business any more?? I buy various things from Ben Meadows from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
    I have a one man cross cut in my garage that is relatively new. I just can't bring myself to buy a chain saw to use twice a year for 30 minutes each.

Grew up with 2-man cross cut saws. Cut a lot of wood that way. You can still buy new ones at places like Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows. Something tells me that Forestry Suppliers may not be in business any more?? I buy various things from Ben Meadows from time to time.
    They both seem to be in business. A 5.5' 2-man cross cut looks to set you back about 3 Franklins by the time it's at your door.

They are not cheap. I suspect they don't sell many except to hard core woodsman types and perhaps the preppers.

3 bill US ouch! Still I'd like one someday albiet I'll get the jointer and raker to match.

Thread Information