Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brous Division Flipper

Brous Division Flipper

ADVERTISEMENT

Hey guys what do you think about Brous' new division flipper? The lines remind me of the kershaw tilt that has been eating his wheaties! There's a video up on YouTube with the prototype example. Looks sexy and at a very reasonable price for what you're getting!
    Last edited by sinsanity; 04-01-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added pic

Looks good for the money, just not sure about the use of D2 steel though as there are lots of better choices out there IMO...
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

Yeah he seems to love using D2 might just be cause it's easier to work with I'm assuming? Wouldn't mind seeing some 154cm or m4 instead from brous.

I have no clue as for machinability of D2; one of my buddies who works in tool & die told me it is difficult enough to work and heat treat...

M4 would be awesome, or CPM154 or some good ole S35VN, or a nice Carpenter steel.

M390 would be my top pick for a sweet azz folder like that to really do it justice!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

Yeah m390 would be amazing on a knife like this but it's gotta be a pain to heat treat those exotic steels!

I'm also wondering how it would look in damascus that would be a huge chunk of damascus sexiness!

Nothing wrong with some D2 done right. Tough as nails steel that takes and holds a very good edge. Like a lot of Brous' designs this one is a little outlandish for me but he does D2 well.
    Stand TALL for the BEAST of America!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfatts View Post
    Nothing wrong with some D2 done right. Tough as nails steel that takes and holds a very good edge. Like a lot of Brous' designs this one is a little outlandish for me but he does D2 well.
    True, you do make a good point... Is it regular D2? The newer CPMD2 would be

Not sure which D2 it is but I agree brous' d2 is great stuff. Never had a problem with it on my silent soldier!

Just wishing he would expand his steel options!

Probably just a case of "if it ain't broke".
    Stand TALL for the BEAST of America!

Chicago Suburbs, Democratic Peoples Republic of Illinois
    I don't normally like Jason Brous, but that is a mighty purty knife. Looks kind of like a cross between a Kershaw Tilt and a Microtech Select Fire.

To me, the handle looks extraordinarily uncomfortable. Something about that clip looks painful, and I don't really get handles that bend and/or taper to a point.

Seems to me the guy has created quite a niche for himself with his style over substance (like ergos, cutting profiles, lack of heat treat early on, etc) approach....so more power to him.

I see he has a limited edition "Coroner" blade out...in zombie green with blood spatter! Classy!

Last edited by marcinek; 04-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

While I do agree that some of his designs are out there. In general they are still very functional! For example his silent soldier looks weird but is comfortable in hand but of course with a blade stock that thick it won't be the best slicer.

Nothing wrong with a little crazy green zombie knives. But to each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by sinsanity View Post
    While I do agree that some of his designs are out there. In general they are still very functional! For example his silent soldier looks weird but is comfortable in hand but of course with a blade stock that thick it won't be the best slicer.
    It's got a 2.5 inch blade! What is it supposed to do, chop?!?

Quote Originally Posted by sinsanity View Post
    Nothing wrong with a little crazy green zombie knives. But to each their own!
    Zombie green? To me "over"...but whatever. Blood spatter? I'm sure the "anti-knife" crowd would love to catch a glimpse of that one.

As for "to each his own"....I agree. More power to him. Been watching the guy since his KutThroat Knives days, never got him, and I figured he'd fade away.

Go figure.

My question is, does the flipper part itself, get in the way of the pocket.. On the SS flipper, that was the one design flaw that made me sell mine... And I heard he was going to make another SS flipper with a better flipper design so it didn't "push out" in the pocket..

Hopefully this one improved on that flaw.

And I think if he dropped his custom prices a bit.. he'd kick more ass

His last folder was pretty nice, minus the sloppy edge that I decided to fix and the roughness of the pocket clip.

Jason - Just add more hand finishing to the midtechs and keep the price point... please?
    Change is the only constant...

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    It's got a 2.5 inch blade! What is it supposed to do, chop?!?
    Haha you got me there. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it?? I don't know haha still interesting to have guys like this explore the weirder side of things!

Looks good. What's the price?

Brous uses cpm d2 on some other folders he offers. I would assume the division will also have cpm steel.

I like this design but I know I wouldn't use it. I can't decide if I want it in my collection though. I do love the design. And the prototype seems unreal

Quote Originally Posted by Hadji Flip Me Over View Post
    Looks good. What's the price?
    329$ and 10 for shipping

Jason's work is truly amazing and I will ALWAYS promote and recommend his knives.

I own one of his "Silent Soldier flippers (Blackout Edition Limited to 50 Worldwide)".

The SSF also uses D2 and its extremely well done.

There's nothing wrong with D2 as long as its done right.

I have a bunch of other D2 Blades and have never had a problem.

Jason uses D2 in a lot of his Blades and I personally enjoy it.

I Pre-Ordered the Division Flipper the first day it went up for order and can't wait to get it.

If you want to get an idea of how it looks in the flesh, check out Jim Skeltons YouTube channel.

He actually purchased the one and only Prototype a few months ago, back when it was named the "Divine Flipper".

But the Prototype is pretty much exactly what you will receive, Jason will probably make some subtle changes but not much.

Get in on the Pre-Order while you can!!!

After looking at that Prototype.. I'm intrigued.
    I like the overall design, beautiful lines, I like the blade shape, the CF really does it for me.
    But it's SO BIG!!! I used to love oversized knives but after lugging around the ZT 0560 and ZT 0301, I changed my mind and realized it wasn't needed.
    My Large Sebenza and Chokwe are about as big as I'm planning on going from now on.
    Though I do want a Spyderco Tuff.
    =]
    So... maybe.. if one comes up for trade later on down the road or something.
    I'm not sure I'd lug it around or not... and if I don't do anything with it, it goes.
    So we'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information