I love the feel of the speed and smoothness that phosphor bronze bushings provide when properly cleaned and lubed and since so many knives come with them, I'm wondering what the benefit of synthetic nylon, teflon, plastic washers may be. As I write this, I'm goofing around with a Spyderco Terzuola Starmate (the newest version) and a Superleaf. Both have the synthetic bushings which seem to provide a smooth but slightly stiff hydraulic like feel. Why would a knife maker choose one material for their bushings over another? Also, here is a question that has been driving me nuts. Why do the synthetic washers seem stiff on the first opening, smoother on the second and then like melted butter on the third and so on? It's like the viscosity of the lube thins out or something! That said, I've tried Reeve grease, BM Blue Lube, and Break Free CLP (cleaning thoroughly each time) and the results all seem similar so I'm lead to believe it has more to due with washer material than lube. Can anyone shine a light on this? Thanks!