Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you rehang today?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Excellent job, Killa! I appreciate the step-by-step photos.

I've been impressed with the old Plumbs I've hung. Underrated axes for sure.

Nice job Killa. It's cool to see a young person interested in restoring vintage tools. My son has rehung a Kelly and is working on a Plumb Victory. He takes pride in his work too.

Do hammers count?

I wanted a few hammers for my shop so I picked up three Plumb hammers. I had to rehang the 12 ounce and the 4 came without a head. I reused the 12 ounce handle for the 4 ounce and hung a new handle from House on the 12 ounce. I stained them all Red Mahogany (to do my best to match how they came stock) and set oak wedges in them. A challenging project for the 4 ounce - there is so little eye to work with - but I think they turned out well.

TF

Quote Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
    A challenging project for the 4 ounce - there is so little eye to work with - but I think they turned out well.
    Those small ball pein hammers really have tiny eyes, don't they?

Do you think I should remove the re paint before I drive the wedge home?

Square Peg,

It is currently the thing we are not discussing.

I shaped a House Handle replacement to fit and as I set the metal wedge (no curf) it broke. > So frustrating after all that work.

So - I reused the 8 ounce handle and set a curf and then put an oak wedge in. No problems after that.

TF

Nice job on the hammers. I have three in need now. I will try to get to them in the next week or two.

Chris

These two

and I fixed my ball peen hammer using one of the two metal wedges I recovered from the Collins hatchet I found recently. I really need to work on my hanging skills. I did a bit better on the boys axe but I'm still not really happy about it - I need more patience and to pull the head off more often when rasping. The Link handle from today and the House handle last week both needed a ton of material removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
    Square Peg,

It is currently the thing we are not discussing.

I shaped a House Handle replacement to fit and as I set the metal wedge (no curf) it broke. > So frustrating after all that work.

So - I reused the 8 ounce handle and set a curf and then put an oak wedge in. No problems after that.

TF
    Yeah good call - I honestly don't think a metal wedge is needed on anything short of a full sized head really. And even then, my latest full sized axes (KK Jersey 3lb on 28" octagonal and TT Kelly Perfect Jersey 3.5lb on 35" straight) have only been hung with a cherry wedge and no metal step. So far, they're still on as tight as the day I hung them.

Also a nice job on those hammers guys! I have a tiny ball peen I made in my manufacturing class way back in my freshman year of highschool - handle broke on it so that might actually be my next project

Finally got this Hytest Craftsman hung. This was a gift from Frank. Thank you, Sir. I'll make a thread with more pics later on.

Quote Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
    Finally got this Hytest Craftsman hung. This was a gift from Frank. Thank you, Sir. I'll make a thread with more pics later on.

Very cool! I've been lusting over a Tasmanian pattern axe for months. Luckily, I found a Plumb Tasmanian on eBay a couple of weeks ago and picked it up REALLY cheap. Pics when I get some free time.

Did this a couple weeks ago, but wasn't aware of this thread at the time Picked up some generic hafts to rehang my granda's axes (a 1lb, and a 13oz). Didn't really go according to plan, but anyway...

Went from this collection of bits

to this

Started out life with a 12" haft, weighing in at ~500g. It's gained roughly 7" in length, ~200g in weight, and now swings very nicely. Messed up rehanging the bigger head, but it was a cheap n cheerful haft I got to practice with, so could be worse.

Rogers Mfg Co. "LEADER" Connecticut with slimmed/reshaped handle.

I really like the Hytest, Matt.

Daniel, those are some cool old axes. I don't see many like those around.

Beautiful connie, Warner. I'd love to give that thing a few swings.

M3mphis- Awesome!! I'm really digging that stripe too.
    Daniel- Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    Beautiful connie, Warner. I'd love to give that thing a few swings.
    It chops like a dream.

I find I echoed Square -peg. But they are very cool old axes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J View Post
    Did this a couple weeks ago, but wasn't aware of this thread at the time Picked up some generic hafts to rehang my granda's axes (a 1lb, and a 13oz). Didn't really go according to plan, but anyway...

Went from this collection of bits

to this

Started out life with a 12" haft, weighing in at ~500g. It's gained roughly 7" in length, ~200g in weight, and now swings very nicely. Messed up rehanging the bigger head, but it was a cheap n cheerful haft I got to practice with, so could be worse.

I got this nameless phantom-bevelled hatchet back east last week. The handle had to go because somebody split it using long nails for wedges. I'm sure the short handle and heavy head will be the perfect combination for something; anyway it's the only one I had on hand. 2 lb 5 oz in its current configuration.

Jer, I have a house axe with bevels like that hatchet. Mine's a two pound head, pretty heavy for a hatchet. Great little splitter by the fireplace.

Yours shows much less wear than mine. Mine has a deep stamp on it but I can't read it.

Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information