Thread: Anyone ever take a ZT 0500 MUDD apart?

Anyone ever take a ZT 0500 MUDD apart?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been using my 0500 of and on for the last several years. Love the knife, can't say a bad thing about it. It's one of my favorites and one of my heavy use go to knives. Problem is, I want to take it a part and give it a good cleaning and lube, but I don't know how to take the pivot apart. I'd love to see some pics of one taken apart and some advice on the pivot would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't even hear what your saying right now cause your face is driving me nuts.

I would love to see what the inside of a 500 looks like. Some one please post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
    I would love to see what the inside of a 500 looks like. Some one please post pictures.
    That should have been my post. Thanks.
    I don't even hear what your saying right now cause your face is driving me nuts.

I'd love to see one apart but it seems the whole point of it was to not need taken apart for cleaning. Over the years has it developed some stickiness in the action?

I have seen pics somewhere of it apart, wish I could remember where. Unless like Kyle alluded to its gotten sticky in the lock area, realy no need to take it apart. Just a good hot n soapy bath should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonknifenerd View Post
    Over the years has it developed some stickiness in the action?
    No, it's as smooth as the day I got it. I've even carried it over the course of a tough Mudder race. Different post. No blade play, smooth as glass. That only increases my curiosity to see the insides.

Think of it like a Rolex. Best left to the professionals. I wouldn't mess with it no matter how much you want to see the insides.
    Wanted: Kershaw Blue Breakout 7000BL, Kershaw First Production Skyline, Buck 651 Intruder Pig Sticker, Benchmade 740 Dejavoo

Yea...don't F it up on accident. Maybe bribe jimmer or somebody for archived footage. That or be "that guy", who took his mudd apart. Then hope it goes back together. Although I have many experiences as "that guy"; and I wouldn't potentially loose an 0500 out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettWeidman View Post
    Awesomeness. Thanks man. Though I still don't think that I'd attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettWeidman View Post
    Yeah thats it! I knew I remembered seeing one!

That's exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks for posting that link. I liked that mod.

I've been contemplating doing that to mine ever since I got it....still on the fence, though it will likely happen:-)
    Rival Custom Knifeworks: Pimpin ain't easy...but it sure is fun
    Links--->
    About Me - Gallery - www.rivalknives.wix.com/rival

Quote Originally Posted by Colog View Post
    I've been using my 0500 of and on for the last several years. Love the knife, can't say a bad thing about it. It's one of my favorites and one of my heavy use go to knives. Problem is, I want to take it a part and give it a good cleaning and lube, but I don't know how to take the pivot apart. I'd love to see some pics of one taken apart and some advice on the pivot would be appreciated. Thanks.

You simply create a poor man's spanner wrench using two 1/16" drill bits. Insert the end of each drill bit into an opposing hole in one of the pivots. Span the two drill bit shafts with your thumb and forefinger and twist. You should be able to unscrew them rather easily. In my opinion, this is not a difficult knife to disassemble and reassemble.
    Last edited by Bryan J; 05-26-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Sweet Jeebus there are a lot of parts in the MUDD. It looks like a nightmare to produce as a factory knife.
    Wanted: Kershaw Blue Breakout 7000BL, Kershaw First Production Skyline, Buck 651 Intruder Pig Sticker, Benchmade 740 Dejavoo

Quote Originally Posted by oregonknifenerd View Post
    Sweet Jeebus there are a lot of parts in the MUDD. It looks like a nightmare to produce as a factory knife.
    No kidding.

Thread Information