Page 405 of 415 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409 ... LastLast
Results 8,081 to 8,100 of 8289

Thread: Lets talk GEC!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    withdrawn.

"if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all."
    - thumper, "bambi"
    Last edited by videorecipes; 03-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.

I have to say that i like the look of the 35. I really like the one hand opening of the razor and the Wharnecliff is suc& an all around blade. For a working knife around animals , i got to say i'd buy one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have waited to add my two cents for a few days. Not because they're worth anything, but because I truly didn't know what to think about the Calf Pen, and didn't want to cast a hasty opinion.

I like Wharncliffe blades quite a bit, but have never had a one arm opener nor a liner lock on a traditional two blade. I like the size and shape of the frame, but the screwdriver does concern me when thinking pocketability. I guess I still don't have an encompassing opinion.

The one thing that I have learned is that I should not judge a knife at all on the mock-ups, and I should only half-judge on the actual photos.

This looks like one that will need used to be truly appreciated (by me at least).

I wish I could think of a traditional comparison, but when the Skeletool first came out, I thought it was grotesque. It took a few years to cave and buy one, but now it's by far my favorite multi-tool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sabercat; 03-20-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Ryan

I see the new 48's are available.
    Alan

WTB: GEC 25 Clip or Drop Point...Please
    GEC 66 Jack in stag

5. I suppose someone could start a GEC "safe place" topic. If you eliminate critical discussion then you have a commercial, not an open discussion. And you never have improvement. Open discussion is free product research (as well as advertising) for GEC. I don't know of anyone here that is commenting and doesn't like GEC. We're commenting because we care or at least have interest in their products as collectors, enthusiasts or dealers. Whether or not this knife is successful, I think it will be a learning experience for GEC either way.

As a fan of traditional styled knives I really do enjoy GEC knives on a whole. That being said, no manufacturer will ever be perfect, and no matter how hard one tries, you can not please everyone. There will be plenty of designs that GEC comes out with that I will have little to no interest in, besides the French Kate, the 13 frame comes to mind. The people who have purchased them seem to love them, they are just not for me. My two favorite GEC patterns, the 53 Cattle Rancher, and 98 Cattle Man, have received their fair share of criticism as being too large, and non-pocket friendly. These are just some of the differences that make the American market place great. If we all agreed on everything knife development may likely have ended with the Buck 110.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Rose View Post
    As a fan of traditional styled knives I really do enjoy GEC knives on a whole. That being said, no manufacturer will ever be perfect, and no matter how hard one tries, you can not please everyone. There will be plenty of designs that GEC comes out with that I will have little to no interest in, besides the French Kate, the 13 frame comes to mind. The people who have purchased them seem to love them, they are just not for me. My two favorite GEC patterns, the 53 Cattle Rancher, and 98 Cattle Man, have received their fair share of criticism as being too large, and non-pocket friendly. These are just some of the differences that make the American market place great. If we all agreed on everything knife development may likely have ended with the Buck 110.

Well said Stan. I'm a big fan of the 13's. I'm in the camp that feels the 98 is too big for me. Your point is well made though, different strokes for different folks. 🤙
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. - Steven Wright

~ Alan

Looks like the acrylic on the #48 will be the same as the Draft Beer Acrylic from the most recent run of Beer Scouts, although I wouldn't be surprised if they call it something different.

-- Barrett

WTB GEC #15 Boy's Knives -- FarmBoy in Ebony or Nifebrite -- Single or two-blade Clip in Ebony, Nifebrite or Antique Yellow -- Sheepsfoot w/ SCOUT shield in Ebony

The 38s are up for reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by AusLoX View Post
    Bocate on order!! Yeeee Hawww... John

I'll bite, bocote locked in
    Maker of traditional, hard working, fixed blade knives and leather work
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. - Mark 12:30
    WTB 77 Barlow single clip or spear in ebony or blackwood

Whittler? where
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Damn. I don't understand why I'm not getting emails on these reserves? Knives that is. 38 Special knife that is. I reserved a couple. Thank you for the heads up on these knives. I think it's a good looking pattern. Even with just the clip blade, it could be cool. If they go with multi blade configurations like the 13's, it will be huge, I think.

~ Alan

Lets talk GEC!

Quote Originally Posted by skyhorse View Post
    Whittler? where
    No whittlers. 38 Special (single blade) only. That I know of at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh33 View Post
    Bocate on order!! Yeeee Hawww... John
    That's what I went with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AShearer View Post
    Damn. I don't understand why I'm not getting emails on these reserves? Knives that is. 38 Special knife that is. I reserved a couple. Thank you for the heads up on these knives. I think it's a good looking pattern. Even with just the clip blade, it could be cool. If they go with multi blade configurations like the 13's, it will be huge, I think.
    I don't think they send emails anymore. The early reserve is sms based now, I believe. I have received notifications for the last half dozen releases via text.
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. - Mark 12:30

Quote Originally Posted by Tilley Knife View Post
    I'll bite, bocote locked in
    .......and a Northfield jigged bone

I just can't resist those curves

Last edited by Tilley Knife; 03-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilley Knife View Post
    I don't think they send emails anymore. The early reserve is sms based now, I believe. I have received notifications for the last half dozen releases via text.
    Good point Tilley: I thought I had signed up for texts maybe I did not do that right. Knife collecting is so much fun, isn't it? I think we are all crazy about these GEC knives.

I have to go back and redo that text set up. Good to know it works for you.

~ Alan

I put in sure for Northfield Stag and a jigged bone. Wonder what my chances on the stag are?

The 38s don't appeal to me at all, but the 48s, otoh... I have NF bone on pre-order and I just bought a bloodwood in case I don't like the bone. I'm telling myself I won't keep both, but we'll see how that goes.

Page 405 of 415 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409 ... LastLast

Thread Information